British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   AMS - Detroit - luggage? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ams-detroit-luggage-762014/)

The Horticulturalist Jun 17th 2012 5:45 pm

AMS - Detroit - luggage?

Hubby is enroute from AMS to DTW at the moment, but it looks like he may be delayed.
Does anyone know if you have to pick up luggage, do the transit belt thing and go back through security as you do in Atlanta, or do your checked bags go right through? I think he'll miss his connecting flight if he has to do all that.:unsure:

We've only been in and out of ATL the last couple of years so not sure if it's the same at every airport.

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2012 5:57 pm

Re: AMS - Detroit - luggage?

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 10124214)
Hubby is enroute from AMS to DTW at the moment, but it looks like he may be delayed.
Does anyone know if you have to pick up luggage, do the transit belt thing and go back through security as you do in Atlanta, or do your checked bags go right through? I think he'll miss his connecting flight if he has to do all that.:unsure:

We've only been in and out of ATL the last couple of years so not sure if it's the same at every airport.

You always have to go through immigration...collect your bags and go through customs on the first landing on US soil. The remaining flight/flights within the US are then classed as domestic...therefore no more immigration or customs to go through.

The Horticulturalist Jun 17th 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10124226)
You always have to go through immigration...collect your bags and go through customs on the first landing on US soil. The remaining flight/flights within the US are then classed as domestic...therefore no more immigration or customs to go through.

so back through security again?

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 10124227)
so back through security again?

I would think so as he will have left the secured area after clearing imm and customs.

The Horticulturalist Jun 17th 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10124248)
I would think so as he will have left the secured area after clearing imm and customs.

Ok, that's what I figured. Well, I'll get on and find him a hotel there for the night!

GeoffM Jun 17th 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 10124252)
Ok, that's what I figured. Well, I'll get on and find him a hotel there for the night!

If it's the airline's fault he misses his connecting flight, shouldn't they be the ones that organize travel and accomodation? If he walked away at ATL without checking with airline staff first, he might lose his ticket from ATL-DTW and have to pay again.

The Horticulturalist Jun 17th 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10124325)
If it's the airline's fault he misses his connecting flight, shouldn't they be the ones that organize travel and accomodation? If he walked away at ATL without checking with airline staff first, he might lose his ticket from ATL-DTW and have to pay again.

Currently on the phone with travelocity trying to get another flight, my customer service guy speaks poor English. :banghead:

Jerseygirl Jun 17th 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10124325)

I don't think any US airlines will do that. Sometimes if there are enough people transferring onto the same flight and the delay isn't too long...the next plane may delay take off for a short while.

GeoffM Jun 17th 2012 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10124331)
I don't think any US airlines will do that..

Really? It's been a while since it last happened to me (CO@IAH; dinner, hotel, and breakfast) but assumed it was still done.

Yorkieabroad Jun 19th 2012 1:04 am

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10124463)
Really? It's been a while since it last happened to me (CO@IAH; dinner, hotel, and breakfast) but assumed it was still done.

Wife got it last Friday night in Atlanta (en route from Chattanooga to Houston with Delta) - overnight hotel and meal vouchers.

Mind you, she's been commuting weekly all year and the last few weeks they've made her miss her connection every single week so maybe they're feeling sorry for her!

SpoogleDrummer Jun 19th 2012 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10126467)
Wife got it last Friday night in Atlanta (en route from Chattanooga to Houston with Delta) - overnight hotel and meal vouchers.

I got that with Delta when I missed my connection once. I assumed it was standard practice.

GeoffM Jun 19th 2012 4:53 pm

Maybe JG is just unlucky!

Jerseygirl Jun 19th 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10127633)
Maybe JG is just unlucky!

I don't do connecting flights. :D

I thought I'd read/heard that it was not US airlines policy...unlike Euro airlines.

GeoffM Jun 19th 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10127671)
I don't do connecting flights. :D

Ah yes, the advantage of living near a major hub. [Insert New Jersey joke here :rofl:]

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10127671)
I thought I'd read/heard that it was not US airlines policy...unlike Euro airlines.

Europe has laws... US airlines have limited minimums but I would think most exceed these minimums significantly. Less than in yesteryear and maybe you have to push for it but should get something in cases such as the OP's nonetheless.

My worry was that the OP's spouse would walk away from whatever the airline might have already arranged and end up effectively missing the flight and having to pay out again.