British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   America's 20 Most Miserable Cities (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americas-20-most-miserable-cities-705107/)

nettlebed Feb 12th 2011 1:22 pm

America's 20 Most Miserable Cities

From forbes.com.

Most of the top 10 in CA, mainly in the Central Valley. Lots more in FL.

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 12th 2011 3:44 pm

Re: America's 20 Most Miserable Cities

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 9171511)
From forbes.com.

My hometown is #12. :(

Bob Feb 12th 2011 4:24 pm

Quite surprised with that, would have thought there would be a bigger mix, and perhaps Detroit being higher with perhaps a few more mill towns like Buffalo.

anotherlimey Feb 12th 2011 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 9171695)
My hometown is #12. :(

Mine is 2nd - beat you! I'm so much less miserable now that I've won something.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 12th 2011 7:15 pm

Our closest city for shopping is #1 :( How depressing is that.
Got you beat anotherlimey Sorry.

S Folinsky Feb 12th 2011 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 9171511)
From forbes.com.

I hear Janis Joplin singing about "somewhere near Salinas" and Linda Ronstadt singing about "Tehachipi to Tonopah."

:D

Derrygal Feb 13th 2011 2:29 pm

I'm surprised Chicago is # 7 and Cleveland # 10. I thought Cleveland would be more miserable than Chicago. They both have horrible winters, but I think unemployment is higher here.

Giantaxe Feb 13th 2011 11:40 pm

No surprise that the Central Valley is so well represented. It really is an armpit.

scrubbedexpat097 Feb 14th 2011 12:07 am

Yeah:thumbsup: No mention of Houston...woop-woop:p:lol:

Poppy girl Feb 14th 2011 12:12 am

I see Modesto ranked No 4 :lol: and as I stated in another thread Stockon was my worst choice in the US next to Bloomington Illinois....what I do find strange is because of my work I travel all over the US and as much as I think most of Modesto is a dump,its the Ritz next to some cities/towns that I visit luckily I live in the very far suburbs on the good side of town so I guess I don't get to see the violent areas much like Ceres and the connecting hovels!

I do know that I would rather be in Modesto then Stockton,Fresno,Bakersfield thats a dead cert.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 14th 2011 12:13 am

I ended up in the #1 city this afternoon Ds needed work pants. Now I know it's number 1 I somehow could see all the complaints better, it's never been that great IMO but holy cow it's an armpit Giantaxe is so right. Ds and I were joking about it while we shopped, If I never go there again I'll be happy, I must be more picky about my shopping areas :lol:

Poppy girl Feb 14th 2011 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9174249)
I ended up in the #1 city this afternoon Ds needed work pants. Now I know it's number 1 I somehow could see all the complaints better, it's never been that great IMO but holy cow it's an armpit Giantaxe is so right. Ds and I were joking about it while we shopped, If I never go there again I'll be happy, I must be more picky about my shopping areas :lol:

The only good thing about Stockton is the Super Wal-Mart lol....yes I admit I like to have a nose there every so often.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 14th 2011 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9174252)
The only good thing about Stockton is the Super Wal-Mart lol....yes I admit I like to have a nose there every so often.

Thats where we went, Ds was practically hyperventilating in there he hates it when it's so busy. Poor guy. Then he was complaining cause he couldn't understand anyone speaking I told him he should have done Spanish in school not French :lol: They were out of his size in the Dickies work pants so that made his day :lol:

Poppy girl Feb 14th 2011 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9174264)
Thats where we went, Ds was practically hyperventilating in there he hates it when it's so busy. Poor guy. Then he was complaining cause he couldn't understand anyone speaking I told him he should have done Spanish in school not French :lol: They were out of his size in the Dickies work pants so that made his day :lol:

At least you get to go home to beautiful location I would take the foothills over the bay area any day

Leslie Feb 15th 2011 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 9174245)
Yeah:thumbsup: No mention of Houston...woop-woop:p:lol:

Or Texas at all for that matter ... MWA HA HA HA HA :sneaky: