Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Wikiposts

Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:47 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jon1905
NH Experience..

I had to report to the state capital to get my licence...

I showed up at 9am, had my paperwork processed (They gave me back my UK Licence)..

I was then subjected to a mind-numbingly simple multiple choice quiz, to the order of.. "If a pedestrian is crossing the road infront of you, and they're not on a crosswalk, is it acceptable to run them over".. that kind of stuff...

After passing that easily (I did get one wrong.. I picked the first valid answer on an "All of the above" because I was flying through the test too fast..)

I was then sent outside to have my Practical test.. after asking if they wanted to do the eyesight check first.. they were aghast that they'd forgotten to do it before I took my written.. (I saw well enough to get the answers right..)..

Once again I passed..

and then I joined a line of about 8 cars...

One examiner... 8 cars.. 25 mins per test.. 5 mins break per test.. so I waited... And waited... and waited.....

Finally he started shortening the tests to 15 mins each..

I was done with the rest in under half an hour.. but I was stuck in scolding hot weather, for about three hours..

I was the first person to get the second examiner they brought in.. and passed in about 5 minutes after a block of slow right hand turns..

I got a 45 day temporary.. which expires Sunday.. and was told they'll mail me my licence..

However I called today, and was told they're gonna send me another temporary, because they haven't processed mine yet.. Apparently plenty of the ones AFTER mine have been done.. but as he so eloquently put it.. "Your test date has stalled".. they have computer glitch on that day, and it's screwing them up..

"We have no fix for it yet, but I'm confident...." "Call again in another 40 days when it still isn't there..."..

5 minutes for a US Citizen's card.. 3 months for me.. =P

So I have a red stamp for a green-card, and a yellow piece of cardboard for a Drivers licence..

Figures..

~ Jon
bitter, table for one!
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

"So I have a red stamp for a green-card, and a yellow piece of cardboard for a Drivers licence.."

Consider yourself lucky! At least you have them.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Jon1905 will become famous soon enough

I should probably clarify, I'm not really as annoyed as it sounds.. I'm just tired of all the waiting... I started this whole process three years ago, and was ignorant enough to believe that the INS helpline was a valid source of information.. so bitter.. probably.. yeah..

I am relieved however that it's all over now, although it would be a little more closure to hold the cheesy plastic cards in my hands..

Ahh well.. think of me as you will..
Old Oct 4th 2003, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Don't worry, you'll get them eventually. All of this stuff takes so long and 3 years is definitely a long time to wait. My husband just got his learner's permit after 6 months of messing around with the state and we were excited about that! As long as the ones you have work, just be happy
Old Oct 4th 2003, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jon1905
I should probably clarify, I'm not really as annoyed as it sounds.. I'm just tired of all the waiting... I started this whole process three years ago, and was ignorant enough to believe that the INS helpline was a valid source of information.. so bitter.. probably.. yeah..

I am relieved however that it's all over now, although it would be a little more closure to hold the cheesy plastic cards in my hands..

Ahh well.. think of me as you will..

well, that is understandable.. the BCIS defines frustrating

just keep calling them and try to get answers about why your case isn't moving along.. use some detective work. That's what I had to do to see the process through.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

nige69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Des Moines, Iowa - Here are our driving rules!

1. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Des Moines has its own version of traffic rules...the truck with the loudest exhaust goes next at a 4-way stop. The truck with the biggest tires goes after that.
(Note: Blue haired ladies driving anything have right of way anytime.)

2. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

3. You must know that "I-35" and "I-80" are the same road.

4. Construction is a permanent fixture in Des Moines. The barrels are moved around in the middle of the night to make the next days driving a bit more exciting.

5. Watch very carefully for road hazards such as deer, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, pot holes, cats, pieces of other cars, opossum, truck tires, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, and crows or vultures feeding on any of these items.

6 . If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated".

7. The minimum acceptable speed on "I-35/80" (see above) is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. This is Iowa's version of NASCAR.

8. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously.

9. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 55-65 zone
... you are considered a road hazard, and will be "flipped off"
accordingly.

10. Ground clearance of at least 12 inches is recommended for city driving.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nige69
I live in Des Moines, Iowa - Here are our driving rules!

1. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Des Moines has its own version of traffic rules...the truck with the loudest exhaust goes next at a 4-way stop. The truck with the biggest tires goes after that.
(Note: Blue haired ladies driving anything have right of way anytime.)

2. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

3. You must know that "I-35" and "I-80" are the same road.

4. Construction is a permanent fixture in Des Moines. The barrels are moved around in the middle of the night to make the next days driving a bit more exciting.

5. Watch very carefully for road hazards such as deer, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, pot holes, cats, pieces of other cars, opossum, truck tires, raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, and crows or vultures feeding on any of these items.

6 . If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated".

7. The minimum acceptable speed on "I-35/80" (see above) is 85 mph. Anything less is considered downright sissy. This is Iowa's version of NASCAR.

8. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously.

9. If you are in the left lane, and only going 70 in a 55-65 zone
... you are considered a road hazard, and will be "flipped off"
accordingly.

10. Ground clearance of at least 12 inches is recommended for city driving.
Some of those rules are true for driving through most states.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Have lived here for 15 years and Arizona is the worst State for bad drivers. Every Sept thru March/April we get innundated with "snowbirds". Retired out of Staters who come here for the weather. Man oh man you have never seen anything like it. Everyone is so grateful when they eventually go home. We also have a lot of police activity, this has to be one of the worst States for red light runners. I see police on the roads every day also radar trucks checking for speeders.
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:43 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Some of those rules are true for driving through most states.
I would say that they are for most States.

Mind you, without doubt the worst place to drive must be South Florida.
The combination of retired little old jewish ladies peering over the dash whilst driving at 5 mph. Along with the crazy hispanics driving at 500 mph leads to some tragic situations.
Add to this the 'Faux' trendy soccor moms in their 7000 Ib SUV's swerving across 3 lanes whilst applying makeup and having that oh so important cell phone call and your in hell !!!

in fact there is an intersection in Plantation North of miami that holds the annual record as per insurance industry for the most crashes last year.
I think it was 395 wrecks just at this one place!!

Oh god protect me when I ever have to visit my wifes family down there...
Old Oct 7th 2003, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Pharrya, regarding the driving skills of Egyptians: Cairo, Luxor, Aswan -- all cities where a red traffic light means 'go'................ but then so does a green one.

My own experiences regarding American drivers haven't been too bad, but then I'm in the N.E. On the whole I've found U.S. drivers to be remarkably tolerant of each others' misdeeds but then that was explained to me when I was in a car that was carved up on a 'rotary'..... sorry, a 'traffic circle'..... damn! -- a *roundabout*. Our driver didn't raise a central digit, shake a fist, curse, or anything.

When I queried this, he said it was because he'd been raised in Texas where if you gesticulate or mouth-off at another driver you are likely to get shot. Hmmmmmmm... okayyyyy.

The mentions of driving tests being on mall parking lots amused me. The town of Watertown, Massachusetts, is one of the places that is regionally well known for not using public roads for any part of the driving test. I didn't realise there were other places the same.

Eddie