Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Wikiposts

Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Old Oct 1st 2003, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

As an American, I would like to point out that current driving standards were not always the case. I took drivers education back in high school during the 70's. The course was extremely difficult with loads of written tests to pass. I had to basically know every traffic law in existance (well, pretty much). Anyway, we student drivers had to practice our parallel parking, backing up, recognition and obeyance of traffic signs and laws, and our ability to drive on freeways and in heavy traffic for months on end before would could get the signed certificate we needed to able to take our driving tests and get our licenses at the DMV. My full coverage insurance runs around $1300 per year. I have been driving now for over thirty years and have never been involved in any accident, apart from being rear-ended on a couple of occasions.

Any American driver who took drivers ed at around the same time I did, is likely a well versed driver, and not likely to be one of those idiots you seem to be complaining about.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Before I left the UK I bought an International license. When I arrived in here I just handed in my license and they gave me a state driving license and al;l I had to do was an eye test!

Yes, I agree, US drivers are terrible. They don't know what indicators are for and drive way too slow for my liking.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

[i]They don't know what indicators are for and drive way too slow for my liking.
I especially like the tradition of using the indicators after starting to turn or change lanes or whatever. Sort of a "look what I'm doing" rather than letting people know what they are going to do. Of course I don't know that this is American especially. The only thing I ever drove in London was a moped, and I was too busy trying to stay alive to notice such details.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Originally posted by suebo
NO Asians are the worst drivers, 'Mericans follow close behind.
Very close behind, it's called tailgating!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bromleygirl
Yes, I agree, US drivers are terrible. They don't know what indicators are for and drive way too slow for my liking.

I certainly know what indicators are for, and I generally drive the speed limit (maybe a bit over on freeways). There are plenty of Americans who're good drivers, there's also plenty who aren't. You seem to be encountering the ones who aren't.

Usally, if your license is not expired when you switch it for a state license, they will only require an eye test. They will assume you already know how to drive. If your international license were expired when you presented at the DMV, then you would have been required to take a driving test.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:56 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1

Usally, if your license is not expired when you switch it for a state license, they will only require an eye test. They will assume you already know how to drive. If your international license were expired when you presented at the DMV, then you would have been required to take a driving test.
This is not true in many states - for example New York state will only switch foreign licenses if you're Canadian. Everyone else has to do the written test, eye test, road test, as if they've never driven before.

The International drivers license is not a license to drive anywhere in the world - they are simply a document that says in numerous languages that the holder has a full driving license in his/her home country.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by elfman
This is not true in many states - for example New York state will only switch foreign licenses if you're Canadian. Everyone else has to do the written test, eye test, road test, as if they've never driven before. ....
I have seen many posts on several different boards on this topic and theonly state that appears (per reports on the threds I have read) willing to give you a local state licence for a British one is New Jersey. It also used to be the case in Connecticut, but I don't believe that it still is.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

BritSteve99 is an unknown quantity at this point

In 1998, my UK license was not acceptable to the New Jersey DMV, so I had to take the multiple choice and practical test. They also wanted me to hand over my UK license for them to keep, but I couldn't find it of course

Moving from NJ to NC, I had the take the multiple choice test and was given a waiver on the driving part, which is apparently at the examiners discretion.

It seems odd to have to retake the test when moving from state to state, but as the driving laws differ, there isn't a choice. I remember the shock when I got my UK driving license at 17 and it didn't expire for 40 odd years!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 2:05 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I have seen many posts on several different boards on this topic and theonly state that appears (per reports on the threds I have read) willing to give you a local state licence for a British one is New Jersey. It also used to be the case in Connecticut, but I don't believe that it still is.
and NC!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
and NC!
Not officially. You caught the DMV on a "good" day, to your advantage...

See the NC Drivers License FAQ-
http://www.dmv.dot.state.nc.us/driverlicense/faq/

Copied from the above page:

"Testing Requirements
Now you're probably wondering if you need to take a test. If you are 18 years or older and applying for an original North Carolina driver license, you will be required to take the written, sign and vision tests. A road test may also be required. If you are applying for a renewal license, you are required to take the sign and vision tests. A road test may also be required. If you are under 18 years old, graduated licensing applies. Click here for a thorough explanation of graduated licensing. Duplicate licenses (for replacing lost licenses and for address and name changes) do not require testing."

NC Penguin
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

I went to get my MN driving license today as my previous state license is due to expire in a few days on my birthday.

I read the book for 20 minutes and went in and took the multiple choice test and passed - it was so easy - a lot easier than the UK highway code.

American drivers don't know what driving is until they have driven overseas - especially Paris! - they would not know what had hit them
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bromleygirl
they would not know what had hit them

Literally.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 2:34 pm

Originally posted by bromleygirl ...... American drivers don't know what driving is until they have driven overseas - especially Paris! - they would not know what had hit them
There is driving a hierarchy even within Europe, and Paris is far from the most, er, ... exciting place to drive. Rome is more fun, and I hear that Athens is even more so!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:12 pm
mwm
Forum Regular

mwm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
As they've changed the rules now, did you manage to avoid going to the MLK Blvd office? What a bunch of jerks they are there! My husband and I had our tests there. My husband turned up outside the office at 7 AM to be at the front of the queue when they opened at 7:30 AM. A couple who had got there before him, had their place saved for them by a friend whilst they sat in the car waiting (it was a frosty morning) When the office jerk opened the doors, they went to retake their place in the queue, and he told them off and sent them to the back of the queue which was now easily 30 people deep!
I saw a latino man at the desk having problems being understood, so he went into the main entrance area to find a translator. Once he found someone who could help, he went to go back to the desk he was first at, and was told to go right back to the end of the line again, meaning another 1 hour wait for him at least! Jackass! I'd never seen such poor treatment of
individuals before then or since thankfully.
Thats where I sat my test last week,what a joke the test was.As for the humiliating treatment you are subjected to,it made my blood boil .I did pass the test but will never get used to being treated with such a lack of respect.Am I the only one who physically cringes when they do that thing with their hands to beckon you over to them?
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jon1905 will become famous soon enough

NH Experience..

I had to report to the state capital to get my licence...

I showed up at 9am, had my paperwork processed (They gave me back my UK Licence)..

I was then subjected to a mind-numbingly simple multiple choice quiz, to the order of.. "If a pedestrian is crossing the road infront of you, and they're not on a crosswalk, is it acceptable to run them over".. that kind of stuff...

After passing that easily (I did get one wrong.. I picked the first valid answer on an "All of the above" because I was flying through the test too fast..)

I was then sent outside to have my Practical test.. after asking if they wanted to do the eyesight check first.. they were aghast that they'd forgotten to do it before I took my written.. (I saw well enough to get the answers right..)..

Once again I passed..

and then I joined a line of about 8 cars...

One examiner... 8 cars.. 25 mins per test.. 5 mins break per test.. so I waited... And waited... and waited.....

Finally he started shortening the tests to 15 mins each..

I was done with the rest in under half an hour.. but I was stuck in scolding hot weather, for about three hours..

I was the first person to get the second examiner they brought in.. and passed in about 5 minutes after a block of slow right hand turns..

I got a 45 day temporary.. which expires Sunday.. and was told they'll mail me my licence..

However I called today, and was told they're gonna send me another temporary, because they haven't processed mine yet.. Apparently plenty of the ones AFTER mine have been done.. but as he so eloquently put it.. "Your test date has stalled".. they have computer glitch on that day, and it's screwing them up..

"We have no fix for it yet, but I'm confident...." "Call again in another 40 days when it still isn't there..."..

5 minutes for a US Citizen's card.. 3 months for me.. =P

So I have a red stamp for a green-card, and a yellow piece of cardboard for a Drivers licence..

Figures..

~ Jon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.