Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:30 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Hi
I have been in the states for two months now and I have come to the conclusion that American drivers are among the worlds worst drivers. They are very aggressive drivers even the women. They cut each other up. Pull out on each other. Tailgate all the time. I think that the most popular bird in the states must be the weaver bird. I had to take my driving test within 30 days of arriving. My wife and I took the tests to see what we would fail on. The tests invoved answering 40 questions of which you had to get 30 correct. Then a 10 minute drive around a Supermarket parking lot. suprisingly we both passed first time. This explains why Americans drive to a very poor standard. When I went to insure a new dodge durrango I was shocked to find that the insurance is $2400 for 6 months!. They do not take into account 25 years accident free driving in the UK. I think rather than not taking a UK licence into a consideration that we should actually get a discount because our standards are a great deal higher than in the Unites States. What are other peoples thoughts on the forum.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 12:32 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are Americans the worlds worst drivers

Originally posted by vegas
Hi
I have been in the states for two months now and I have come to the conclusion that American drivers are among the worlds worst drivers. They are very aggressive drivers even the women. They cut each other up. Pull out on each other. Tailgate all the time. I think that the most popular bird in the states must be the weaver bird. I had to take my driving test within 30 days of arriving. My wife and I took the tests to see what we would fail on. The tests invoved answering 40 questions of which you had to get 30 correct. Then a 10 minute drive around a Supermarket parking lot. suprisingly we both passed first time. This explains why Americans drive to a very poor standard. When I went to insure a new dodge durrango I was shocked to find that the insurance is $2400 for 6 months!. They do not take into account 25 years accident free driving in the UK. I think rather than not taking a UK licence into a consideration that we should actually get a discount because our standards are a great deal higher than in the Unites States. What are other peoples thoughts on the forum.
I agree 100% But you lost me somewhere around cutting each other up and pulling out!

Oooooooh I'm in one of those moods today! ô¿~
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:28 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Welcome to the U.S, vegas. I totally agree there are some pretty shite drivers on the road, and yes I also done the 10 min drive around the block piss take of a driving test.

In Texas my insurance is high because I have had my license less than 3 years, so thats why I am paying top dollar....its a bummer I know.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I ment to say, although I had a U.K license for 10 years it doesn't count for bugger all, its because I've had a Texas license less than 3 years thats the thorn in my arse
Old Oct 1st 2003, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Grrrrrrrrr @ even having to take a test to drive in the US !!! did the multi choice, and the test .. what a joke !! its made for teenagers not 40yr old folks who've been driving for over 20 years.
Dont even get me started on insurance .. BIG BIG GRRRRR

Jan
Old Oct 1st 2003, 2:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I have to agree that many Americans are amongst the worst drivers in the world, especially taking into consideration the "driving test", all aspects of it.

I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I experienced the full driving test (all 3 parts) because it was so short and did not test much of any driving skills.

Since driving schools are not regulated by the government (state or federal), there's not much benefit in taking lessons through a driving school since any Tom, Dick or Harry can run one. Hence, most Americans learn from their parents, siblings or friends and pick up bad habits.

Add to the mix that the legal drinking age is 21 that I believe encourages underage drinking.

The conditions of the roads themselves don't help much to aid safe driving too. e.g Potholes the size of British manholes (and bigger), no street lighting, no cats eyes (or knackered catseyes).

The Police? I don't think they enforce the law that much. Not where I live anyway. I see policecars more often that I did back in the UK (London) but I rarely see them chase anyone or see them with a motorist they've pulled over. I think this gives the motorist in the opportunity to bend the rules of the road until they have an accident or get nicked (fat chance).

Summary: all this allows bad drivers to be created and remain on the road.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by NC Penguin
no cats eyes (or knackered catseyes).

NC Penguin
what are those?
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:22 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Steff
what are those?
Them things whut shines in the middle of the road!
Old Oct 1st 2003, 5:34 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Then a 10 minute drive around a Supermarket parking lot. suprisingly we both passed first time.
As they've changed the rules now, did you manage to avoid going to the MLK Blvd office? What a bunch of jerks they are there! My husband and I had our tests there. My husband turned up outside the office at 7 AM to be at the front of the queue when they opened at 7:30 AM. A couple who had got there before him, had their place saved for them by a friend whilst they sat in the car waiting (it was a frosty morning) When the office jerk opened the doors, they went to retake their place in the queue, and he told them off and sent them to the back of the queue which was now easily 30 people deep!
I saw a latino man at the desk having problems being understood, so he went into the main entrance area to find a translator. Once he found someone who could help, he went to go back to the desk he was first at, and was told to go right back to the end of the line again, meaning another 1 hour wait for him at least! Jackass! I'd never seen such poor treatment of individuals before then or since thankfully.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

NO Asians are the worst drivers, "Mericans follow close behind.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 6:13 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by suebo
NO Asians are the worst drivers, "Mericans follow close behind.
Can you be more specific about Asians? Indians? Singaporeans? Malaysians? There's quite a number of countries that are considered Asian.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Can you be more specific about Asians? Indians? Singaporeans? Malaysians? There's quite a number of countries that are considered Asian.

NC Penguin
Malaysians, Chinese, Thai, Indians and Indonesians. Singaporeans are pretty good.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on where you are driving in the USA. Beware of the east and west coast traffic. Texas is also one big throng of tractor trailers and irrational angry drivers. It can be bad in any city these days. A number of people complain about Florida drivers too. The situation has definitely gone from bad to worse in the US. This is part of the infrastructure problem the US is now facing. I'm sure this goes without explaining.

Hi
Old Oct 1st 2003, 7:47 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

You guys have to be more assertive

I didn't have to take a test, they gave me my licence after the multi-guess 20 out 25 questions test (I got 23 without studying).

I went round to every single insurance company until I found one that would recognize that I have been driving for almost 20 years in the UK and our premiums are $600 a year.

Patrick
Old Oct 1st 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm. While I think Americans are prety piss-poor behind the wheel, I save my road rage for Egyptians.

Before moving to the US I spent a couple of years in Cairo, and compared to these guys, Americans drive like that bloke who said 'Think Once, Think Twice, Think Bike'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.