Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are Americans really an different to us?

Are Americans really an different to us?

Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Americans really an different to us?

Originally Posted by exvj
It's a good job it's not democratic and is up to the moderators instead of a vote by mr fry and yourself

I have had some excellent debates on here - some go on for days and a lot of people give me nice Karma and I do get support too

I think it's a bit off for mr fry to make banning suggestions just because he can't gain a clinching argument point and he has called me a pr*ck before - and nobody suggested banning him for that - not even me. I have taken some pretty nasty stuff and never reported a post or asked for anyone to be banned.

I was told that I was a loner, no friends and my neighbours hated me and a lot more of that besides - they all got away with it without a mention

Anyway, the thread is about whether americans are really different to us - I have said what I think - what do you think ?

Please re-read my post... My comment was not intended to be a personal attack nor was it a call for you to be banned (Unless you agree that you are being a disruptive element on this website).

My comment was intended to be an observation to correct your misconception regarding the basis under which this website is operated... This website is not the USA, it is a website which crosses national boundaries, as is the nature of the internet.

Oh yeah, what I think regarding this subject was several pages ago three posts after your initial thoughts on the matter.

Last edited by CitySimon; Apr 10th 2009 at 4:45 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a bit off for mr fry to make banning suggestions just because he can't gain a clinching argument point and he has called me a pr*ck before - and nobody suggested banning him for that - not even me. I have taken some pretty nasty stuff and never reported a post or asked for anyone to be banned.
You need to grow a thicker skin... we're pretty tame compared to most forums on the Internet.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:54 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Please re-read my post... My comment was not intended to be a personal attack nor was it a call for you to be banned.

Well that's a relief. I am stuck in a desert 150 miles from the nearest decent sized town, and I wouldn't like to be banned because I have gained some interesting facts on tax and immigration etc which have been very valuable to me. I have made some great contacts and received and given support.

I often get into a subject and post quiet happily time after time and the same band of tormentors turn up and start tweaking my tail - I defend myself vigorously using condescension and a supercilious manner in preference to obscenities and dirty names - and then a full scale 'to do' starts up.

Ok well thank you for your level headed and considered fairness Simon - I will resume my packing today for my trip to the UK on Sunday. Nasty business funerals and I will be glad when it's done and I am back home in the USA with all it's good and bad points
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:58 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You need to grow a thicker skin... we're pretty tame compared to most forums on the Internet.
Point taken and that's why I won't go the 'anything goes' forum.

However, that applies to these people who are after my blood too - it seems that a bit of condescension is more powerful than obscene name calling - but perhaps that's the way they speak to each other at home and they are used to it - oops there I go again

Last edited by exvj; Apr 10th 2009 at 5:00 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:07 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry for you - as I would be for anybody - that the reason for your trip back to the UK is for a funeral.

I know that many of your comments have been disagreed with and I'm not going to get into that but I also know that most, if not all of our members would agree that funerals are sad things indeed and a funeral in the UK is not the same as a planned holiday in the UK or trip down memory lane.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I often get into a subject and post quiet happily time after time and the same band of tormentors turn up and start tweaking my tail - I defend myself vigorously using condescension and a supercilious manner in preference to obscenities and dirty names - and then a full scale 'to do' starts up.
You are delusional. See if you can get a mental health consult (for free, off the NHS, to which you are FULLY entitled!) while you're back home.

You instigate. You get replies.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I'm sorry for you - as I would be for anybody - that the reason for your trip back to the UK is for a funeral.

I know that many of your comments have been disagreed with and I'm not going to get into that but I also know that most, if not all of our members would agree that funerals are sad things indeed and a funeral in the UK is not the same as a planned holiday in the UK or trip down memory lane.
Thanks for that Lorna - my dad died 14 years ago and I handled it very well -and my mother was 94.5 so it should have been expected but somehow it's harder this time. Strange - I have been used to going back 3 times a year which is a great homesickness cure and someone needed me. In a way it's a duty off my shoulders, but having had her around for my 61 years I had sort of become used to her being there ...

She is much like me and she would say to a staff member at her home - 'This is Alan my son' then she would say to me - 'This is Zena my friend' and then she would say to Zena - 'Well I call you my friend, but you don't know what i really think do you '?

She loved Zena really and it's just her unacceptable sense of humour and I have inherited it. All the off duty staff will be at her funeral as they got to accept her 'way' eventually - but it is a long process.

Hey ho, well I will back to poke you all with my infuriating comments in a couple of weeks hopefully (If I am allowed)
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Lorna - my dad died 14 years ago and I handled it very well -and my mother was 94.5 so it should have been expected but somehow it's harder this time. Strange - I have been used to going back 3 times a year which is a great homesickness cure and someone needed me. In a way it's a duty off my shoulders, but having had her around for my 61 years I had sort of become used to her being there ...

She is much like me and she would say to a staff member at her home - 'This is Alan my son' then she would say to me - 'This is Zena my friend' and then she would say to Zena - 'Well I call you my friend, but you don't know what i really think do you '?

She loved Zena really and it's just her unacceptable sense of humour and I have inherited it. All the off duty staff will be at her funeral as they got to accept her 'way' eventually - but it is a long process.

Hey ho, well I will back to poke you all with my infuriating comments in a couple of weeks hopefully (If I am allowed)
I'm sorry you lost your mother .......... but at almost 95 she lived a long time.

It's probably no consolation but just an old cliché that folks say.

It doesn't matter how old you are or how grown up you might be - losing a parent can't ever be nice. I have only lost my grandparents but I was extremely close to them. I imagine losing a parent is so much different.

Condolences.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
You are delusional. See if you can get a mental health consult (for free, off the NHS, to which you are FULLY entitled!) while you're back home.

You instigate. You get replies.
I will add that to your comments about 'no friends' and 'your neighbours hate you' etc etc

Teenage girls go under when other girls deluge them with stuff, but I won't

I am probably liked and respected by more people in 'real life' than you could ever hope for so just lay off with the slurs eh ?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

exvj, my condolences on your loss.

Try to relax a little bit as I don't think people are 'after' you.

I used to be too sensitive to criticism on here, but like they say you have to be able to take it as well as dish it out.

We are all finding our way in a new situation.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
exvj, my condolences on your loss.

Try to relax a little bit as I don't think people are 'after' you.

I used to be too sensitive to criticism on here, but like they say you have to be able to take it as well as dish it out.

We are all finding our way in a new situation.

Ta matey

We are trying to find our way and it's not easy - I can't find a way to talk candidly to EX PAT BRITS about my great likes and great dislikes about the US without getting busted by (you know which lot), so I will give up trying, and stick to talking with Brits who are returning to the UK and the tax forums / National health etc There is some really interesting and valuable stuff there, and I can't remember when someone was last subjected to filthy epithets and personal slurs in those forums

I will leave the trailer park to the trailer park dwellers and jerry springer - however I was once in a long discussion on the technical trigger mechanisms of machine guns and a certain band of ladies turned up on the post and started sniping at me (no pun intended). I refuse to believe that these ladies who were hijacking other threads and talking about baking to each other, suddenly got interested in a thread on weapons magazines etc

They said John Lennon (my fellow northerner) was paranoid, but they really were out to get him !

ok back to house maintence
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:08 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps a brief summary?

Americans are basically the same as other things.
eg: they have the same number of feet, ears and appendages as most mammals but do have a distinct tendency to be a bit retarded at times and also look like an Oxfam clothes rack.
Their accents are reminiscent of a geratric pterydactyl eating a feral cat (esp Women) and they are horribly deficient in the road-skills department (both sexes).

The ones that read a lot and listen to PBS are usually enjoyable company but take care not to go too close to American children as they will consume anything with 3ft (~1m).
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:09 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

This room is full of people who are interested in what you have to say.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
http://ohiogenealogy.files.wordpress...empty-room.jpg

This room is full of people who are interested in what you have to say.
I thought it was where you kept your educational certificates
Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
[I]
Their accents are reminiscent of a geratric pterydactyl eating a feral cat (esp Women)
By Jove I think he's got it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.