Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Americans commute earlier and longer: study

Americans commute earlier and longer: study

Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Americans commute earlier and longer: study

"Americans are leaving home earlier to get work, fewer are walking, and more are driving alone, according to a study of commuting trends released on Monday.

The study, published by the Transportation Research Board, found people are also taking longer to reach their workplaces, with the number of people with commutes lasting more than 60 minutes growing by almost 50 percent between 1990 and 2000."

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...NG.xml&src=rss

So what kind of commute do you guys have? Public transport of car? and what about car pooling?

Notice any difference or have your habits in commuting changed here compared to blighty?

At the mo, nice and short, 10 min drive, that's going to change when the office moves to the other side of the lights...back in blighty, commuted about 35-45 mins for an intern position, but did car pool, well I picked a bird up that worked there on the way, she couldn't drive but chipped in for petrol.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:24 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Americans commute earlier and longer: study

I drive 17 miles each way... and it takes an average of 45 minutes!

I drive alone because carpooling would involve subjecting another person to my foul, foul mouth and very, very loud music!

Back in Blighty I drove 30 miles each way in an average of... 45 minutes. Oh how I used to enjoy the A3 South from Guildford to Havant. No really! 90mph from the moment I got on, and not a ticket in 5 years. Lovely winding dual-carriageway with drivers who knew how to drive, truckers who knew where they belonged (not the fast lane!) and countryside that was worth admiring (when it wasn't rainy or foggy or covered in snow).
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

I walk 7mins each way ...

I'll get my coat
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
"Americans are leaving home earlier to get work, fewer are walking, and more are driving alone, according to a study of commuting trends released on Monday.

The study, published by the Transportation Research Board, found people are also taking longer to reach their workplaces, with the number of people with commutes lasting more than 60 minutes growing by almost 50 percent between 1990 and 2000."

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...NG.xml&src=rss

So what kind of commute do you guys have? Public transport of car? and what about car pooling?

Notice any difference or have your habits in commuting changed here compared to blighty?

At the mo, nice and short, 10 min drive, that's going to change when the office moves to the other side of the lights...back in blighty, commuted about 35-45 mins for an intern position, but did car pool, well I picked a bird up that worked there on the way, she couldn't drive but chipped in for petrol.
38 miles each way, but there is almost never any traffic which is great 45 min drive.....
I pick up a co worker on the way so it keeps the drive interesting with lots of gabbing! No public transport to choose from but I would take the bus or train if I could......

In Uk used to take the train into London so an hour but that was yonks ago.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:27 am
Guest21

8 mins drive to the Airport in the morning and 15 back with the traffic.

When I lived in the UK I got myself fit by walking to work 40 mins there and back, now I never walk anywhere, just out the front door and into the truck probably why I have put 20 pounds on since I moved here.

Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I drive alone because carpooling would involve subjecting another person to my foul, foul mouth....
you got bad breath then?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't hurt me, but my commute doesn't have to be anywhere. OK I still have to take the littl'un to pre-school, but then I could easily climb back in bed and work from there. I work from home, wireless laptop, cordless phone.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

13 miles, average 35 minutes. For the last 3 years, 10 of those 13 miles have been a constant never ending construction site as Austin gears up for its first toll roads (in this case TX45).

I come from near the Dell Diamond (Forest Ridge in Round Rock) and go to halfway down Mopac, for the Austinites amongst us.

Average speed 18 MPH over the last 1000 miles or so, and 16.9MPG (according to the onboard computer), most of that the commute as we take the bigger car at the weekend for the sprogs. Oh and I normally leave for work at 6:30 (to avoid the really BAD traffic, LOL) and try to leave work at 4:45, but at if I'm not away by 5:00, I'll normally stay until 6:30, until the traffic is more reasonable.

- Tim
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Since Feb I have been working in downtown Cleveland and have about a 25 mile trip. Can take anywhere between 35 minutes to a hour and a half depending on whats going on. Pretty soon I'll have the snow to add to idiot drivers, not looking forward to that.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

I drive the same distance to work here as I drove in England (about 17 miles from Preston to Blackpool).

In England on the A583 it took about 25-30 minutes, here it's nearer 50 -60 minutes.
I drove through countryside in England, drive through suburbia over here
Relatively good drivers in England, complete rubbish drivers over here

Apart from that, exactly the same.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:22 pm
Just a rock in the rain

nai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to beholdnai_in_av is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Oh how I used to enjoy the A3 South from Guildford to Havant. No really! 90mph from the moment I got on, and not a ticket in 5 years. Lovely winding dual-carriageway with drivers who knew how to drive, truckers who knew where they belonged (not the fast lane!) and countryside that was worth admiring (when it wasn't rainy or foggy or covered in snow).
I remember the A3, usually going from Winchester past Alton on the A272 (IIRC) and then pick up the A3 to go into London. Not too bad a drive and certainly beat the M3. My daily commute was about a 25 mile trip and took about 45 minutes to an hour (worked in Fawley, horrible place).

I think I beat everyone here so far, my commute to work is a 55 mile trip and take's on average about 90 minutes. Luckily (oddly enough thanks to a traffic jam, and me hoping not to get lost one morning trying to avoid it) I manage to avoid most of 66 east and 28 north and cut through some really nice countryside.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine's nice. 4 miles and 5-10 min max If they put our airplanes on the passenger terminal side, it would be 1 mile

In UK, last year I worked was 150 miles a day, 1 3/4hrs M3-A303. What a pain! I bet it's worse now though. That was 10yrs ago.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:44 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

17 miles, 22 minutes most days...because we live in the country. Thinking about moving to town, so that when Busholine goes back to $3-$4 a gallon we can save a part of the $50 a week we've been spending.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

40 minute commute from door to door and that includes a 25 mile train ride and a 10-15 minute walk to the office.

When I was commuting by car years ago it was 1 hour to 1 and 1/2 hours by car from lower NYS to Stamford, Connecticut. Never again.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

2 miles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.