Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

" Americanism's " Changing the British language.

" Americanism's " Changing the British language.

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of
Default Re: " Americanism's " Changing the British language.

Originally Posted by joto
When did "Nutella" become Nootella, and "Herbs" become 'erbs?
How else would you pronounce these?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
What I would worry about a lot more than "Americanisms" is the effect on the language of texting! I'm starting to see more and more communications along the lines of

'r u fk me? LOL '

and I'm not talking about SMS texts ...

My niece makes no attempt to capitalize in email, and punctuation seems almost optional.
Surely literate people adapt their use of language to the medium .. so may write the same thing differently in a text, an email, a posting in an online forum, or formal writing for publication. So in that sense texting enriches the language! All part of life's rich tapestry etc!!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234

However, someone mentioned "HERB" pronounced "'ERB"... The OED informs us that "'ERB" was the standard pronunciation for herb before about 1800, since then we pronounce it with the "H" pronounced. So with herb, Americans are just using an archaic pronunciation which is of course quite legitimate.
Hey, lyonsden1193 - and from the OED no less!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:37 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's all the Americans fault. Just look what they've done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1jDcAHkc8
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked it out - the English language has the word 'oil' in it. That'd be why the Americans are tearing it apart for no apparent reason
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leslie

'ang on, 'ang on - that interview sounded like it was in LONDON! And if the guy sounded unintelligible or "on" something, why did the reporter carry on listening to him?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've worked it out - the English language has the word 'oil' in it. That'd be why the Americans are tearing it apart for no apparent reason
You can hang on too - seems to me I heard tell the UK fought a war in the Falklands in order to safeguard and keep hold of one of the largest OIL deposits in the Atlantic! (Not that I dispute the American greed for oil - but we ain't the only ones, bub!)
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:05 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Leslie

Harvard Grad??

As for Herb...erb... O E D has it right... Archaic pron... that is why we invented the colonies
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
To paraphrase Captain Edmund Blackadder, the country that once managed to sway hold over a quarter of the world's populace, and a quarter of the world's land mass can hardly be entirely absolved of all the blame on the imperialistic front.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 3:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
To paraphrase Captain Edmund Blackadder, the country that once managed to sway hold over a quarter of the world's populace, and a quarter of the world's land mass can hardly be entirely absolved of all the blame on the imperialistic front.
Aye, and they made us give everyone their countries back as well
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
You can hang on too - seems to me I heard tell the UK fought a war in the Falklands in order to safeguard and keep hold of one of the largest OIL deposits in the Atlantic! (Not that I dispute the American greed for oil - but we ain't the only ones, bub!)
Falklands? No .. that was a matter of principle; the right to national self-determination of the people of the Falklands. (I'm fairly sure that was what the milk-snatcher said.)
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:16 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Falklands? No .. that was a matter of principle; the right to national self-determination of the people of the Falklands. (I'm fairly sure that was what the milk-snatcher said.)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-dispute.html

At the time of the Falklands I had heard about the oil but it was a fairly tightly lipped comment. Now of course its out there.

Remember .. the milk snatcher was a big Murdoch fan .. so who the hell knows what the truth was!!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:52 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-dispute.html

At the time of the Falklands I had heard about the oil but it was a fairly tightly lipped comment. Now of course its out there.

Remember .. the milk snatcher was a big Murdoch fan .. so who the hell knows what the truth was!!
This story is almost two years old, and eventually came to nothing. There was no oil.

The original dispute was about protecting a British posession after a hostile invasion by those Argies!, and defending the islander's wishes to live under British rule. (Unlike the current British operations in Lybia. But thats another story...)
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:15 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
This story is almost two years old, and eventually came to nothing. There was no oil.

The original dispute was about protecting a British posession after a hostile invasion by those Argies!, and defending the islander's wishes to live under British rule. (Unlike the current British operations in Lybia. But thats another story...)
http://www.offshoreenergytoday.com/f...ckhopper-says/

http://mergersandacquisitionreviewco...l-and-gas.html

Guess what.. they had found it in the seventies but wasn't viable to get it then.. now they are going for it..... we didn't go to war to protect 2 million sheep!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Surely literate people adapt their use of language to the medium .. so may write the same thing differently in a text, an email, a posting in an online forum, or formal writing for publication. So in that sense texting enriches the language! All part of life's rich tapestry etc!!
I have to agree. While I personally would never use abbreviations like 'r u' (for 'are you'), it does smack of efficiency and one wonders why we ddn't think of it earlier! Think of how much paper and ink would have been saved had these abbreviations been used! I know I have readily adapted to 'program' instead of 'programme', 'analog' instead of 'analogue', etc - there is zero added value/benefit to using the longer forms. I would expect the official "English" language (being inherently adaptable) to adopt these improvements.

And I have to confess, it is very convenient to use ':' and ")" together in a sentence to indicate a smile or humor. I do use them now in semi-formal communications (emails to people at work, etc).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.