British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   " Americanism's " Changing the British language. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/americanisms-changing-british-language-725808/)

coastieexpat Jul 21st 2011 3:25 pm

" Americanism's " Changing the British language.

From the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

fatbrit Jul 21st 2011 3:34 pm

Re: " Americanism's " Changing the British language.

At least apostrophe misuse in Englishes remains universal.

AmerLisa Jul 21st 2011 3:37 pm

This one I find annoying...

35. "Reach out to" when the correct word is "ask". For example: "I will reach out to Kevin and let you know if that timing is convenient". Reach out? Is Kevin stuck in quicksand? Is he teetering on the edge of a cliff? Can't we just ask him? Nerina, London

I hear my husband say this when he's working from home and it just sounds wrong....

I've never heard it before, but that doesn't mean anything. There are a lot of those sayings that I haven't heard..... Regional?

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2011 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9509671)

People should require a license before they are allowed to use apostrophes.

N1cky Jul 21st 2011 4:12 pm

Urgh, I hate 'My bad' too.

Not on the list but the one that really bugs me is 'I won him at tennis' what? You took him home and put him on the sideboard like a trophy. You BEAT him you idiot.

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2011 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 9509792)
Urgh, I hate 'My bad' too.

Not on the list but the one that really bugs me is 'I won him at tennis' what? You took him home and put him on the sideboard like a trophy. You BEAT him you idiot.

:lol:

I've never heard that one before!!

sir_eccles Jul 21st 2011 4:21 pm

I had several people ask me (sorry reach out to me) yesterday saying "so, how are you meant to pronounce zee?".

Karrie72 Jul 21st 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9509830)
I had several people ask me (sorry reach out to me) yesterday saying "so, how are you meant to pronounce zee?".

What about when people refer to a 'healthful' diet or lifestyle? Errr don't they mean healthy?

Malashaan Jul 21st 2011 4:32 pm

I still hate "a complete 360" meaning a reversal of direction/opinion. I guess that's stupid rather than American per se though. Also "hold down the fort," you don't hold it down, you hold it against being taken.

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2011 4:32 pm

On reflection, I blame the business world for a lot of these stupid phrases - once people started banging on about stupid shit like 'synergy' and 'thinking outside the box', the beautiful English language didn't stand a chance.

For what it's worth, the one American term I can't get my head around is calling the bog a 'restroom'. I just spent the last week proving that term wrong :blink:

helwardman Jul 21st 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 9509858)
I blame the business world for a lot of these stupid phrases

Me too. Got to love these though.........

"Blue-sky thinking"
"Joined-up thinking"
"Norms" or "Metrics" for something that can be measured.

In my last job in England (Large defence company) I knew a few people who were impossible to hold a normal conversation with because they spoke almost exclusively in business buzz-words. Made attending meetings a pain, unless we had a game of Buzz Word Bingo going :D

Round these parts, people "Pull the trigger" on things a lot, meaning to start a project. They also "run the traps" quite a bit, meaning to do some preparatory work.

Octang Frye Jul 21st 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9509671)

Ha! ;)

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by helwardman (Post 9509876)

"Blue-sky thinking"
"Joined-up thinking"

In my last job in England (Large defence company) I knew a few people who were impossible to hold a normal conversation with because they spoke almost exclusively in business buzz-words. Made attending meetings a pain, unless we had a game of Buzz Word Bingo going :D

Round these parts, people "Pull the trigger" on things a lot, meaning to start a project. They also "run the traps" quite a bit, meaning to do some preparatory work.

Joined-up thinking? That's stretching it a bit isn't it?? Buzz Word Bingo sounds like a laugh though :lol:.

N1cky Jul 21st 2011 4:48 pm

"Blue-sky thinking"
"Joined-up thinking"

I used to love Buzz Word Bingo, it was best on conference calls and 2 of you in the office were playing, sometimes nobody else could get a word in for the 2 people spewing buzz words at each other:lol:

Kar98 Jul 21st 2011 4:50 pm

They also have something in their sights, go off half-cocked, and turn out to be just a flash-in-the-pan.