Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

" Americanism's " Changing the British language.

" Americanism's " Changing the British language.

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: " Americanism's " Changing the British language.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have to agree. While I personally would never use abbreviations like 'r u' (for 'are you'), it does smack of efficiency and one wonders why we ddn't think of it earlier! Think of how much paper and ink would have been saved had these abbreviations been used! I know I have readily adapted to 'program' instead of 'programme', 'analog' instead of 'analogue', etc - there is zero added value/benefit to using the longer forms. I would expect the official "English" language (being inherently adaptable) to adopt these improvements.

And I have to confess, it is very convenient to use ':' and ")" together in a sentence to indicate a smile or humor. I do use them now in semi-formal communications (emails to people at work, etc).
Sorry - I'm going to call BS. Text-speak and abbreviations of that ilk is wanky and that's it. Seriously, how much extra paper, ink or time does it take to include the 'a' and 'e' with the 'r'; or the 'y' and 'o' with the 'u'?

Why the hell would we want to make what a bunch of angst ridden, spotty oiks use on their mobile phones a legitimate part of the vernacular?

Makes me wish my dad had just had a wank, stuff like that.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My kids watch a lot of the PBS Sprout channel, so they pick up a lot of English pronunciations since most of the shows are imported from the UK. Still had my two-year-old trying to tell me I pronounce "dance class" wrongly, although I expect a northerner would tell me that too. Looks like a double episode of Angelina Ballerina is required.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:40 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
My kids watch a lot of the PBS Sprout channel...
WHAT???? Have you all been keeping this from me???
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Preschool tv channel. The Goodnight Show (after about 4pm) is hosted by a woman who is far too hot to be on kids tv. And then she bends over doing yoga, saying "I love how my body feels after a good stretch".
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:49 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
This isn't language as such, but pronunciation. When did "Nutella" become Nootella, and "Herbs" become 'erbs? Maybe some people think saying 'erbs makes them sound French and sophisticated, but those two don't, very often, go together.
My sister in law informed me that if I say "herb" rather than "erb" people will assume I'm talking about a person rather than a plant.
But she's an idiot.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Preschool tv channel. The Goodnight Show (after about 4pm) is hosted by a woman who is far too hot to be on kids tv. And then she bends over doing yoga, saying "I love how my body feels after a good stretch".
Excellent.

There are sprouts on it too, right?

Mmmmm.... sprouts and hotties... together at last!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:55 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
How else would you pronounce these?
I was laughing at a friend here who said Nootella, he sent me a link to their official site which said that's how you say it; I sent him back a link to a British advert from youtube (searching nutella advert uk also brings back an australian one that says it the same way)

The Americanism that annoys me more than anything else is "a savings of", shouldn't that be "a saving of" or just "savings of"?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:15 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
I was laughing at a friend here who said Nootella, he sent me a link to their official site which said that's how you say it; I sent him back a link to a British advert from youtube (searching nutella advert uk also brings back an australian one that says it the same way)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AFptxyklptE

The Americanism that annoys me more than anything else is "a savings of", shouldn't that be "a saving of" or just "savings of"?
I do like how the Jaguar adverts over here have now got a bloke to say Jag-u-ar, instead of Jag-waar. Although I quite like to say it as Jag-waar, and Poo-ma for Puma.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:48 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
IT'S BACK!!! This is so funny ...
http://www.dack.com/web/bullshit.html
(Web economy bullshit generator). Maybe you have to be in the business, but I can't tell you how many sentences I've seen like this in print!
"engineer value-added mindshare"
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:08 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of languages... how crappy would it be if Morse code was our primary spoken language?? - Utterly up river if someone had a stammer ....

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I can't understand why some of the people who commented about that article (on the BBC site, not BE) are so outraged.
I was thinking along those lines too! I am willing to bet that if they were around during the time, they would be the ones outraged about Latin bastardizing indigenous languages ... Blessed are those cheesemakers. Languages evolve!... if you will, natural selection of linguistics - the only word I can think of surviving the Neanderthal era is "UGH" was it someone's name, an expression, first evidence of language?? ....

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I had several people ask me (sorry reach out to me) yesterday saying "so, how are you meant to pronounce zee?".
Zed and Zee ... same theme can also be said for the two ways for "H" and HeyH/Ayech/Huh-a-ch .... ()

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
This is why my ex-pat won't eat Otis Spunkmeyer muffins.! And doesn't want to go to Bald Knob, AR.
... but does one have a problem eating Uncle Joe's Mint Balls??

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try ordering a fil-lay in a British restaurant...most don't understand what it is.
That is precisely where customer and waitstaff at a Little Chef find common ground... from either side of the table, each find themselves in complete doubt, bewilderment and can't understand "what it is" - especially once one sees it on the plate, if you're the one in the seat...

I don't know why, but, I cringe when I hear or read "...., just sayin' ". It is like hearing fingernails dragged over a blackboard (I suppose I should be writing chalkboard) ...
Even, I'm just popping out to - bugs me ... are you a weasel or something??
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Zed and Zee ... same theme can also be said for the two ways for "H" and HeyH/Ayech/Huh-a-ch .... ()
Our local public radio station recently acquired a new transmitter, WSLZ Cape Vincent. One of the announcers started pronouncing the final letter "zed" when he recites the station identification. Now they are all saying zed.. (mind you it is just this side of the border.)
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 1:58 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
How about 'Happy Holiday's? That one always sounds so wrong coming out of my mouth somehow.
I'm a native Angeleno and I have never liked "happy holidays" -- I am one Jew who is not offended being told "Merry Christmas." In fact, I am annoyed that that minor winter festival is assumed to be really important because of its time of year.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:01 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
+1!

And "coop-pay" for 'coupe'.
I think the Brits might have a love/hate thing going with the French, know what I'm sayin'?
Little Deuce Coupe. That said, I'm from California.

[That said, I think of this Joisy song as very California. I think a 69 Chevy with 396, fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor]

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jul 23rd 2011 at 2:15 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:07 am
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by robin1234
Our local public radio station recently acquired a new transmitter, WSLZ Cape Vincent. One of the announcers started pronouncing the final letter "zed" when he recites the station identification. Now they are all saying zed.. (mind you it is just this side of the border.)
The 'I Am Canadian' ad was one of the first to go viral on the net. Whenever I hear reference to "zed" I think of that ad.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I'm a native Angeleno and I have never liked "happy holidays" -- I am one Jew who is not offended being told "Merry Christmas." In fact, I am annoyed that that minor winter festival is assumed to be really important because of its time of year.
Nobody sane really is offended by "Merry Christmas". It's all made up by Bill ORLY.
The only meaning _I_ knew "Happy Holiday" to have was "Well, good day, good fellow citizen, and have an awesome Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, a whole week off, New Years' Eve, New Years' Day, and another week off, and Happy Epiphany Day, too!" which didn't roll as smoothly off the tongue as necessary, especially when your lips were frozen and the queue behind you at the hot spiced wine stand was getting longer.
Somehow BOR got it into his pointy head that "Happy Holidays" meant that people were waging a "War on teh Krismasse! Wah! Santa is for reeelz!" and ever since then, when somebody wishes you "Merry Christmas" in the US, it's with a sneer to see if you're offended by it.
I'd advocate putting little badges on these wankers, but they've already taken care of this themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.