Americana

Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:44 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Americana

What pieces of Americana have you actually visited...you know, the sort of things you see in the movies and always wanted to go and see. Remember Thelma and Louise? Well I have a yearning to out deep into the desert, and so I'm going on a horse trail in the Arizonian desert next weekend. I rather fancy driving on those open roads in a pink Cadillac too, but I'm not sure if that's an arrestable offence! There's something about the blue sky, brilliant sunshine and open road that makes you feel incredibly alive. Has anyone travelled down Route 66 or eaten Catfish in New Orleans? We're going to the Grand Canyon next month, as I cannot live in AZ and not go. The other thing I'd like to see is Mount Rushmore, because it's the thing they always show you on the tourist shows and looks so impressive. What is your lasting image of America from the days before you actually lived here? For me it will always be the Californian beach, with images of sunshine, sand, fit people and brightly colored cars. I'm going to see it for myself in just a few weeks and realize a 20 year old dream.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:50 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I got lost on I-95 north at about 4am once with just me and my kids in the car... I ended up taking an exit without knowing it and we drove past the Washington Monument (well it was pretty close) and my daughter recognised it and I said it couldn't be and told her to go back to sleep!

Oh yeah... I had to apologise for that one!

I love to drive and see everything I can... My favourite trip is from Connectcut to Florida... It takes about 24 hours so I usually stop in North Carolina -- Days Inn off 95.

The signs for South of the Border are great to see because you know your getting closer.... So Pedro says!

Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:52 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Americana

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I rather fancy driving on those open roads in a pink Cadillac too, but I'm not sure if that's an arrestable offence!
If you have the same worries when your up here in Connecticut, don't worry... we'll put up your bond!

Old Mar 20th 2004, 4:16 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Americana

Originally posted by Rockgurl
What pieces of Americana have you actually visited...you know, the sort of things you see in the movies and always wanted to go and see.
Our first year here we took a road trip west to South Dakota and beyond, to see Mount Rushmore. It was cool, but the (unfinished) Crazy Horse Monument down the road is bigger and more impressive. En route we saw the plains, Badlands, wagon ruts made by the early settlers, oil fields full of nodding donkeys in red sand deserts, Devils's Tower (The rock in Close Encounters of the Third Kind), the birthplace of Rodeo, car henge, and passed back through Amish country. IT was all very much like we'd "seen in the movies".

We've taken short trips to Chicago, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Connecticut and NYC (twice) -and last time I skated on the Rockerfeller Plaza rink which I have always wanted to do after seeing it in films.

Last Easter we went across Tennessee, travelling down via St Louis and the arch, camped across the road from Gracelands when in Memphis and saw the motel where MLK was shot, drove down into Tupela Mississipi (Elvis' birthplace) then picked up the Natchez Trace parkway to Nashville, then we finished off with Chattanooga and Rock City.

This year we stayed in Michigan and had a relaxing holiday in the Upper Peninsula -which is beautiful.

We've only been here three years, btw You never know what's round the corner, so I reckon you have to see as much as you can while you can. Grand Canyon is on the list for the very near future.

Oh and re the pink caddy -pink is definitely an arrestable offence.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I've visited the Grand Canyon
Driven over the Hoover Dam
Driven on what was route 66 for part of the Phoenix to Las Vegas road trip
Driven up route 1 on the Californian coast
Walked up the statue of liberty
Been to the top of the Empire State building around 5 times
Been to the top of the World Trade Center
Been to the top of the Sears tower in Chicago
Been to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle
Been to the top of the John Hancock tower in Boston
Been to the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas several times
Visited Alcatraz prison
Driven over the Golden Gate bridge
Partied on Bourbon street in New Orleans
Visited the White House in Washington DC
Taken a helicopter tour of Manhatten
Had photo's taken with hands in the famous concrete castings outside the Mann's Chinese theatre on Hollywood Bvld.

Is that enough Americana for ya?? I'm sure I forgotten something. My lasting image of Americana before I actually came here, was NYC. Thats why I just had to visit the place, which I did first back in 93. First time ever on a plane and flying all that way on my own for a 5 night stay. Loved it!.

Last edited by Pimpbot; Mar 20th 2004 at 4:35 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 4:33 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pimpbot

Walked up the statue of liberty
Been to the top of the World Trade Center

We weren't able to do those

What's Alcatraz like?
Old Mar 20th 2004, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by monster
We weren't able to do those

What's Alcatraz like?
Alcatraz is cool. Its always advisable to book tickets the day before down by the wharf though, as that trip is always busy. You can do the bridge cruise though that goes out to the Golden Gate and then comes back around Alcatraz, all with an audio tour pointing out land marks and titbits of info as you go.

If you have ever seen the Clint Eastwood escape from Alcatraz movie? it will be just like walking onto the set. They give you some headphones so you can have an audio tour with former inmates and guards giving you insight to what it use to be like. Its a must if you ever make it to San Francisco.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 5:43 pm
Cuppa tea and a biccie !!

Tracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the roughTracy in Texas is a jewel in the rough

Wow ! You've done and seen loads of Americana.
I have a question - Is Route 1 in California just as beautiful as it looks on TV? (misty winding roads, gorgeous sea views etc ??)

My stuff is . .
Top of the Empire State Builiding
Staten Island Ferry
China Town, Manhattan, Hard Rock Cafe, Central Park New York
DC - White House, FBI Building, Lincoln Statue, Smithsonian etc -
Drove from Arkansas up to Virginia through Memphis, through the Shenandoah valley - beautiful.
Bourbon Street and the French Quarter - New Orleans
Oak Alley Plantation House visit (the one in Interview with a Vampire movie)
Mustang Island, Gulf of Mexico TX.
(I still have a huge list of stuff I want to see in the U.S. in case we do end up moving to Australia!)

Trace.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Tracy in Texas
I have a question - Is Route 1 in California just as beautiful as it looks on TV? (misty winding roads, gorgeous sea views etc ??)

The scenic views driving up route 1 are awsome!. I'd recommend anybody to at least take in some of that drive if they have the chance. The small little beaches close to San Francisco are good for the odd seal/sealion? spot.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

We hired a motorhome and did route 1- it was fabulous. We stayed at Pismo Beach (had the whole beach to ourselves in august!) for a few days. Going down the hills of San Fransico in a motorhome was an experience heehee. The Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz were memorable, but my favourite place is Yosemite. We spent a week there...and I could have stayed forever. It was awesome.

We drove down from Pittsburgh to Florida- that was a wonderful mountain drive too.

The Florida keys are worth a visit and the everglades (eerie).
Niagra Falls were disappointing- they're nothing compared to Victoria Falls in Africa.

The Grand Canyon is on my list to do, and I haven't done New York yet- hubby has been loads of times on business and says I should go. Hubby also says I should go to New Orleans and Vegas (he goes every year on business) but I've never fancied either. We're off to Vermont again this Summer.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

We took the in laws to see Niagara the first year we were here. It was awsome. Went up the World Trade centre in '99, and across to the Statue of Liberty. Took some photos of the skyline. So sad it will never be like that again. Went to Laguna Niguel, California in '96. Went to Disney and Universal Studios when we were there. Been to Florida as well, once to Orlando and once to Clearwater. Planning to go to Yosemite and the wine country sometime.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

ejay1 will become famous soon enough

The Florida keys are worth a visit and the everglades (eerie).
Niagra Falls were disappointing- they're nothing compared to Victoria Falls in Africa.

Oh yes the everglades, whenever I hear about it I start to scratch. The misquitos down there were vicious as soon as you stepped out of the car or opened the window they would swarm around you and started bitibg like crazy. Oh and if you drove past it by night shine a flashlight to the side of the road and you will see the yellow eyes of the gators in the canal, and you could also hear them communicate with each other by roaring it was an incredible experience I forgot I was in the US and thought I was in another country or something.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 1:12 am
Winter hyphenator

Originally posted by ejay1
Niagra Falls were disappointing
We found that too -we've been to Igaucu Falls in Brazil, but we only live 4/5 hours away, so all our visitors want to go and they do find them impressive from the Maid of the Mist -we're just spoiled

The American side of the Falls makes Moss Side look inviting and the Canadian side -whilst much nicer- makes Blackpool look classy, though.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you guys want some real jaw dropping scenery, take a cruise to Alaska. It blew me away!!
Old Mar 21st 2004, 12:29 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Alcatraz is cool. Its always advisable to book tickets the day before down by the wharf though, as that trip is always busy. You can do the bridge cruise though that goes out to the Golden Gate and then comes back around Alcatraz, all with an audio tour pointing out land marks and titbits of info as you go.

If you have ever seen the Clint Eastwood escape from Alcatraz movie? it will be just like walking onto the set. They give you some headphones so you can have an audio tour with former inmates and guards giving you insight to what it use to be like. Its a must if you ever make it to San Francisco.
All visitors I have over here want to go to Alcatraz. It's a cool place, but wearing after the 8th time.

I recommend the night tours. Because you can't walk the island, areas of the prison not open during the day are opened for group tours, ie the hospital block.

If you go by day, get an "island hop", Alcatraz and Angel Island (an amazing place in itself) together.

Park up and walk over the Golden Gate Bridge....awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.