British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American Zip-Lock bags in UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-zip-lock-bags-uk-701827/)

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 3:16 pm

American Zip-Lock bags in UK?

(I posted this in the Over 50's thread and then realised it will have disappeared or got lost in 24 hours, so thought I'd create a separate thread in the hope I might get some answers)

On the subject of US vs. UK products available in the shops, has anyone found (in the UK) the kinds of Zip-lock bags you can get in the US, with a real plastic "zipper" thingy on it (rather than a simple groove that you run your fingers along)?

I brought back about 6 boxes of the things and used them for all sorts (not for keeping food in, but when travelling for keeping stuff secure, putting dog food in, etc.). They are much better because they don't pop open after they have been zipped shut. But now I've run out of the smaller size.

I may get some in Sam's Club next time I'm in the States (June) but would rather buy them here if possible (I already have a long shopping list for Sam's Club and I think my bags will be pretty packed full!)

Anyone in the UK know where you can get these?

Mummy in the foothills Jan 22nd 2011 3:38 pm

Re: American Zip-Lock bags in UK?

No idea, my Mum stocks up when she comes to visit, I was surprised she couldn't find them in UK. Last time I was there she had some sandwich sized ones that seemed to stick together at the top, but once you opened it, it didn't re stick so not much use really.

aviva Jan 22nd 2011 3:40 pm

What about those things called "Space Bags"? They're very durable and reusable. Are you bringing Suzie in June?

Mallory Jan 22nd 2011 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9120811)
(I posted this in the Over 50's thread and then realised it will have disappeared or got lost in 24 hours, so thought I'd create a separate thread in the hope I might get some answers)

On the subject of US vs. UK products available in the shops, has anyone found (in the UK) the kinds of Zip-lock bags you can get in the US, with a real plastic "zipper" thingy on it (rather than a simple groove that you run your fingers along)?

I brought back about 6 boxes of the things and used them for all sorts (not for keeping food in, but when travelling for keeping stuff secure, putting dog food in, etc.). They are much better because they don't pop open after they have been zipped shut. But now I've run out of the smaller size.

I may get some in Sam's Club next time I'm in the States (June) but would rather buy them here if possible (I already have a long shopping list for Sam's Club and I think my bags will be pretty packed full!)

Anyone in the UK know where you can get these?

I have a friend who takes boxes of them over to England for her two sisters. :)

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by aviva (Post 9120844)
What about those things called "Space Bags"? They're very durable and reusable. Are you bringing Suzie in June?

No, they are too big and expensive for what I want. I think the biggest I have are maybe 2.5 gallons (could just about fit a few days of dog food, or a couple of scrunched shirts in there), and the smallest are sandwich size.

I have used and re-used them so many times, but you have to chuck them out eventually because they get a bit manky. I don't use them for food so much as to conveniently separate, for example, electronic gadgets in a big box full of them (so that the cords don't all get tangled up). I just checked and the brand is "Hefty".

No, Suzy goes in the kennels when I visit the States. I'm attending a conference in Denver then spending a week with a colleague at the University of Georgia. Suzy wouldn't enjoy the flight and it's not worth the $2,000+ it would cost to fly her!

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 4:23 pm

It's weird how some really useful and sensible products just never make it across the Atlantic, or if they do, don't succeed (decent Zip-Lock bags, for example).

On a bigger scale, why don't US houses have double-glazed UPVC windows, combi boilers? And why are chain-link fences popular in the States, but not the UK?

Mummy in the foothills Jan 22nd 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9120907)
It's weird how some really useful and sensible products just never make it across the Atlantic, or if they do, don't succeed (decent Zip-Lock bags, for example).

On a bigger scale, why don't US houses have double-glazed UPVC windows, combi boilers? And why are chain-link fences popular in the States, but not the UK?

They are selling the white uPVC double glazed windows now, theres some guy who does them round here as replacement windows, I overheard him talking about them in the coffee shop a few months back :lol: If I was going to replace them I'd give him a call.
No combi boilers but then theres no radiators out west either, we suffer with forced air heat, I hate the initial blast of cold when it kicks on. Although tankless hot water is creeping in slowly. I always wondered why chain link wasn't popular in UK, great for back gardens to stop dogs getting out.

Isakat Jan 22nd 2011 4:42 pm

I get the zipper bags from Germany when OH goes on business. I also had some( large size) given to me by an American friend of mine, but the German ones were stronger and came in 3 sizes.
I love them, they are useful for storing small bits, batteries, have used them when sorting the lego bricks for the kids etc.
I wonder if there is a german website that would deliver them in Europe.

dunroving Jan 22nd 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9120927)
They are selling the white uPVC double glazed windows now, theres some guy who does them round here as replacement windows, I overheard him talking about them in the coffee shop a few months back :lol: If I was going to replace them I'd give him a call.
No combi boilers but then theres no radiators out west either, we suffer with forced air heat, I hate the initial blast of cold when it kicks on. Although tankless hot water is creeping in slowly. I always wondered why chain link wasn't popular in UK, great for back gardens to stop dogs getting out.

I'd be interested in anyone else's observations of everyday things in the UK (or Oz, wherever) that you can't understand haven't been taken up in the UK, and UK products that haven't reached the "colonies" yet

... I hear what you area saying about those forced-air systems, I think they are popular in the States because they can be used to heat AND cool a house (and of course in the States you need to do both, whereas in the UK, we rarely get so hot as to need A.C.

I honestly can't understand the logic of constantly-on huge hot water tanks in the States, they must cost a bomb!

I also wonder whether less expensive front-loading washing machines have reached the US yet. When I left in '06, front-loaders were gaining popularity and were quite a trendy thing to get, but they only really seemed to be importing the high-end expensive ones.

Mummy in the foothills Jan 22nd 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9120943)

I also wonder whether less expensive front-loading washing machines have reached the US yet. When I left in '06, front-loaders were gaining popularity and were quite a trendy thing to get, but they only really seemed to be importing the high-end expensive ones.

Yes they are now very popular, and have come down in price, I've been looking wistfully at them :lol: Fridgidaire and LG have lower cost models for about $500 but I don't think the spin is as fast.

Derrygal Jan 22nd 2011 5:00 pm

I'd be interested in anyone else's observations of everyday things in the UK (or Oz, wherever) that you can't understand haven't been taken up in the UK, and UK products that haven't reached the "colonies" yet

... I hear what you area saying about those forced-air systems, I think they are popular in the States because they can be used to heat AND cool a house (and of course in the States you need to do both, whereas in the UK, we rarely get so hot as to need A.C.

I honestly can't understand the logic of constantly-on huge hot water tanks in the States, they must cost a bomb!I also wonder whether less expensive front-loading washing machines have reached the US yet. When I left in '06, front-loaders were gaining popularity and were quite a trendy thing to get, but they only really seemed to be importing the high-end expensive ones.

Actually, it is possible to get instant hot water systems here now - just heats as you use it - like an electric shower. They are few and far between though - very new, but I think they will catch on. I always turn my hot water heater down to "vacation" setting if I'm away for any length of time. I do believe the instant hot water system is more expensive than the traditional large hot water tank - but I expect long term it would save quite a bit.

ann m Jan 22nd 2011 5:03 pm

I love my large front loading washer and dryer - now that would be something I would miss ;) How could I wash a king-size comforter in the UK - I'd have to go to a launderette.

dunroving - can we post some bags to you? :D

I hate my chain link fencing, but it sure is maintenance free - no trimming hedges, no staining .... no privacy :lol:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the large ready-to-go hot water tanks are actually very efficient - my brain disagrees but some statistics I read somewhere didn't. Use-as-you-go is very slowly making inroads here ....

Derrygal Jan 22nd 2011 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9120960)
Yes they are now very popular, and have come down in price, I've been looking wistfully at them :lol: Fridgidaire and LG have lower cost models for about $500 but I don't think the spin is as fast.

My daughter has one - she got hers when my little grand-daughter was born 5 and a half years ago. She paid around $1,000 for hers - now they're around $500 or $600 so they have come down in price a lot. They use much less energy and water and also wash the clothes better. I still have my top loader - it's 10 years old and still works, but the next machine I buy will be a more energy efficient front loader.

Mallory Jan 22nd 2011 5:13 pm

I honestly can't understand the logic of constantly-on huge hot water tanks in the States, they must cost a bomb!

When I first came to US, electric and gas were so cheap that no one even discussed it. People never turned their hot waters off for any reason, even for vacatons.

Front loaders were more popular in Europe because they went under the work top in the kitchen. Top loaders were popular in the US because people had laundry rooms. Front loaders have become "trendy," in wild colors like red, cobalt blue, bronze, etc., and are huge. They come on stands, so you don't have to bend over to load/unload, with drawers underneath for soap, etc.

I've never owned a house here without double-paned windows?

Yep, those on demand water heats are expensive.

Chain link fences are prohibited in some subdivisions. Mostly see wood going up these days. I always remember chain link fences in council estates in UK.

Derrygal Jan 22nd 2011 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ann m (Post 9120970)
I love my large front loading washer and dryer - now that would be something I would miss ;) How could I wash a king-size comforter in the UK - I'd have to go to a launderette.

dunroving - can we post some bags to you? :DI hate my chain link fencing, but it sure is maintenance free - no trimming hedges, no staining .... no privacy :lol:

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the large ready-to-go hot water tanks are actually very efficient - my brain disagrees but some statistics I read somewhere didn't. Use-as-you-go is very slowly making inroads here ....

Yes - I would be prepared to mail a couple of packs to you. If a few of us did it, you'd be all set.