Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American women

American women

Old Feb 10th 2007, 12:35 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default American women

I have been here for 6 years with my wife and in all that time I have never made any real friends who are men. However I have never had any problem making friends with American women. Actually all my friends are American women who I hang out with. In England I always had my mates and whichever ones of us were dating would bring the girl along much to the annoyance of everyone else if we were just having a laugh, beer etc. Here it's the opposite. Is it just me or has anyone else (other than the geezer from Coldplay and Hugh Grant character in EVERY movie) had the same experience ?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 12:54 am
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American women

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I have been here for 6 years with my wife and in all that time I have never made any real friends who are men. However I have never had any problem making friends with American women. Actually all my friends are American women who I hang out with. In England I always had my mates and whichever ones of us were dating would bring the girl along much to the annoyance of everyone else if we were just having a laugh, beer etc. Here it's the opposite. Is it just me or has anyone else (other than the geezer from Coldplay and Hugh Grant character in EVERY movie) had the same experience ?
Maybe they feel threatened by your British manliness or they are worried their women will swoon at the sound of your accent
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dante is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found exactly the same thing. I think a big part of it is that so many people here establish their riendships in college and keep them for life. They're not really interested in having new friends when they're still hanging out with their old fraternity brothers and the guys on their high school football team. American men also have a habit of judging Englishmen as either effeminate and gay (so they keep their distance) or a potential threat because their girlfriend thinks your accent is cute (so they keep their distance).
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:46 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it begins in school, children over here tend to not be as split as boys and girls (at home the boys would stick together and play football and the girls would play together). My daughters have way more friends here that are boys then they ever did at home, I kinda like it.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

i've always had many female friends (much to the chagrin of my wife) however whilst I've been here I have made more male friends than female... guess I must be strange?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
I think that it begins in school, children over here tend to not be as split as boys and girls (at home the boys would stick together and play football and the girls would play together). My daughters have way more friends here that are boys then they ever did at home, I kinda like it.
I agree with Kate, their doesn't seem to be so much gender rivalry, and I think that's a good thing. Before we moved here the TV shows my daughter was watching always had boy versus girl themes, it annoyed the hell out of me.

As an aside, I also think older kids (teenagers) in the neighbourhood look out for and will play with younger kids more readily and happily here. At least where we live.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:46 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I agree with Kate, their doesn't seem to be so much gender rivalry, and I think that's a good thing. Before we moved here the TV shows my daughter was watching always had boy versus girl themes, it annoyed the hell out of me.

As an aside, I also think older kids (teenagers) in the neighbourhood look out for and will play with younger kids more readily and happily here. At least where we live.

I agree. My son has friends who are both boys and girls (he is 8) and the teenagers are great for playing with the kids and talking to them. He has to ride the school bus with the High Schoolers in the afternoon and have no problems. I think it helps with both school and after school activities being more co-ed at an early age. Even so, my son does love Horrid Henry!
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukmumsie
I agree. My son has friends who are both boys and girls (he is 8) and the teenagers are great for playing with the kids and talking to them. He has to ride the school bus with the High Schoolers in the afternoon and have no problems. I think it helps with both school and after school activities being more co-ed at an early age. Even so, my son does love Horrid Henry!

What's that then? The modern version of Just William?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I haven't made any friends since I've been here...but then again I never had any in the UK either. After 40 years I have begun to realise that people don't like the truth.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:49 pm
time for a cuppa?

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
What's that then? The modern version of Just William?
Pretty much but they are funny and my son has a lot of the audio CD's read by Miranda Richardson (aka Queenie!!). Here is a link http://www.francescasimon.com/HHmain.htm
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is my husband's favourite gripe about living here.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:25 pm
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it's my wifes favourite gripe about living here rather than mine.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:28 pm
Banned

She gets annoyed sometimes when I go out to dinner with 5 women aged 19-25 but I think here it's much easier to have platonic friendships with the opposite sex than in England. I agree with the guy who posted earlier about men here. Some of them especially in the south seem to think English people are either gay or have a superiority complex. I have also encountered a lot of the frat boy "brothers" thing as well which is pretty exclusive so I guess that's part of the reason for lack of male friends.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

She gets annoyed sometimes when I go out to dinner with 5 women aged 19-25 but I think here it's much easier to have platonic friendships with the opposite sex than in England. I agree with the guy who posted earlier about men here. Some of them especially in the south seem to think English people are either gay or have a superiority complex. I have also encountered a lot of the frat boy "brothers" thing as well which is pretty exclusive so I guess that's part of the reason for lack of male friends.
If you go out to dinner with 5 women aged 19 - 25.... without your wife there..... and it is genuinely platonic...........then the guys from the south have got you sussed mate.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: American women

Do you pay for the whole bill? just curious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.