Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American wildlife

American wildlife

Old Jul 11th 2003, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Atlantic Beach NC....we were driving behind one of them BIG 4wd trucks when it slowed and stopped in the middle of the road. A VERY large person slowly climbed down and looked at us.
We shivered and wondered about road rage, what had we done to annoy him...........
He walked to the front of his truck, picked up a baby turtle off the road, gently deposited it on the verge, smiled at us and drove on!

Birds in NC on the coast....Sitting in the swing on our front porch I can see pelicans, seagulls, crows, catmockers, cardinals, titmouses (titmice?), chickadees, sparrows, finches, grackles, woodpeckers, pigeons, doves, blue jays, the occasional hummingbird, and a family of grey squirrels that live amicably with birds, dogs and humans and give us so much delight playing in the branches of the mimosa.

Sitting in my back garden in a suburb of Bristol, England, I see sparrows, blue tits, collared doves, magpies, crows and gulls.

Guess why I prefer to sit in my N Carolina swing?
Old Jul 12th 2003, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

smartiegirl88 is on a distinguished road

I have never been an animal lover. I lived in Manchester UK and saw the occasional dog and bird lol...Since I have moved to US, I have become an animal lover- quite bizarre really! I am now in love with all dogs!

When we lived with the inlaws, we lived somewhat in the country and would have to brake for deer running across the road. There were always rabbits in the yard- I did run over one once and it was so sad

My husband knows names for different birds and trees and snakes and spiders and insects and all other strange things. I just call them 'bugs' and 'crawly things' haha...that's the extent of my wildlife knowledge. I was going to get a hummingbird feeder too, but it would probably drive my beagle dog mad seeing them from the window.....

I hate mosquitoes though- dang, I get bitten by those things every time I walk out of the apartment...
Old Jul 12th 2003, 5:53 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by smartiegirl88
I have never been an animal lover. I lived in Manchester UK and saw the occasional dog and bird lol...Since I have moved to US, I have become an animal lover- quite bizarre really! I am now in love with all dogs!

When we lived with the inlaws, we lived somewhat in the country and would have to brake for deer running across the road. There were always rabbits in the yard- I did run over one once and it was so sad

My husband knows names for different birds and trees and snakes and spiders and insects and all other strange things. I just call them 'bugs' and 'crawly things' haha...that's the extent of my wildlife knowledge. I was going to get a hummingbird feeder too, but it would probably drive my beagle dog mad seeing them from the window.....

I hate mosquitoes though- dang, I get bitten by those things every time I walk out of the apartment...
My daughter and I went for a drive yesterday, up 267, then 89 to Sierraville, down 49 to Nevada City then back up 20 and 80 on the way home again (she was bored).

We saw two deer in the road and another racoon
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:07 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Apparantly, ship rats ('black' rats though not always black) are common in some parts of the US like CA, whereas in the UK they are the rarest mammal, only now found on one scottish island. They just culled them all on Lundy Island off the Devon coast even though they are so rare in Britain.
Yes, to protect the native seabirds. The rats were eating all the eggs of the puffins and Manx shearwaters. Ship rats are an invasive non-native species in the UK, like the grey squirrel.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 8:09 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know about bears, but I think it's a pity there are still no wild boars in Britain, like there are in France. Sadly, there is a lot less forest here than there is there.
They've been reintroduced in a couple of places - and are causing all sorts of problems. They can be pretty vicious beasts.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 10:29 am
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nxylas
Yes, to protect the native seabirds. The rats were eating all the eggs of the puffins and Manx shearwaters. Ship rats are an invasive non-native species in the UK, like the grey squirrel.

Not true, though the Lundy people want to make ppl believe it. It's just cos they don't want tourists to see them and be 'offended.' They've actually lived on the islands since the 1700s in harmony with the birds. Examinations of the contents of ship rats' stomachs showed they'd eaten mainly vegetable matter.

Ship rats were introduced by the Romans, so have existed in Britain longer than rabbits which were brought over by the Normans hundreds of years later. So which is the more invasive? Should we cull all rabbits too? What about grey squirrels, brown rats, Canada geese, collared doves (only here since the 50s). Lets cull everything except humans and cats and dogs!

That's what some people would love wouldn't they?
Old Jul 14th 2003, 10:31 am
Go RedSox!

They've been reintroduced in a couple of places - and are causing all sorts of problems. They can be pretty vicious beasts.

No species more vicious than humans or who cause more problems in the world. What is it with some people? Why so anti-animal?
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:02 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

Not true, though the Lundy people want to make ppl believe it. It's just cos they don't want tourists to see them and be 'offended.' They've actually lived on the islands since the 1700s in harmony with the birds. Examinations of the contents of ship rats' stomachs showed they'd eaten mainly vegetable matter.
Well, that doesn't explain the 60% decline in seabirds on Lundy. The rat-lovers would have us believe that it is down to pollution, but equally polluted islands nearby that don't have rat populations have not suffered a similar decline.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 12:03 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

Why so anti-animal?
I'm not, I just wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of a wild boar.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:08 pm
Go RedSox!

Well, that doesn't explain the 60% decline in seabirds on Lundy. The rat-lovers would have us believe that it is down to pollution, but equally polluted islands nearby that don't have rat populations have not suffered a similar decline.
And equally the other scottish island WITH a ship rat population has not got a problem with it's birds. Just seems funny to me that our rarest mammal is sacrificed cos it's just ASSUMED it must be to blame, though there is no scientific evidence to back it up. People make such a fuss over watervoles--why is a ship rat seen as a pest and a vole seen as cute an cuddly, when they are such similar animals?
Old Jul 14th 2003, 1:38 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

And equally the other scottish island WITH a ship rat population has not got a problem with it's birds. Just seems funny to me that our rarest mammal is sacrificed cos it's just ASSUMED it must be to blame, though there is no scientific evidence to back it up.
God, I feel like I'm talking shop here (I work for Defra and have had to answer letters on this as part of my job). There is no scientific evidence from Lundy to prove that the rats are responsible for seabird decline, but there is ample evidence from other similar ecosystems. English Nature (who have no particular motive to distort their findings purely for the benefit of the tourist industry) felt that by the time scientific research was carried out on Lundy to prove the rats' involvement beyond a reasonable doubt, it might be too late to save the seabirds.
Old Jul 14th 2003, 3:02 pm
Go RedSox!

God, I feel like I'm talking shop here (I work for Defra and have had to answer letters on this as part of my job). There is no scientific evidence from Lundy to prove that the rats are responsible for seabird decline, but there is ample evidence from other similar ecosystems. English Nature (who have no particular motive to distort their findings purely for the benefit of the tourist industry) felt that by the time scientific research was carried out on Lundy to prove the rats' involvement beyond a reasonable doubt, it might be too late to save the seabirds.
The same seabirds that are found on plenty of other islands and mainland Britain, whereas the rats are not.
Old Jul 15th 2003, 6:57 am
Wurzel turned redneck

The same seabirds that are found on plenty of other islands and mainland Britain, whereas the rats are not.
Ah heck, I'm not going to debate wildlife management in my spare time, I get enough of that at work.

On a happier note, and getting back to the original theme of this thread, does anyone know what those big yellow-orange butterflies that one sees all over Florida and South Carolina are called?
Old Jul 15th 2003, 1:05 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Ah heck, I'm not going to debate wildlife management in my spare time, I get enough of that at work.

On a happier note, and getting back to the original theme of this thread, does anyone know what those big yellow-orange butterflies that one sees all over Florida and South Carolina are called?
You are probably talking about the Monarch Butterfly. Here's a link to what they look like:
http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/monarch_butterfly.htm
Old Jul 15th 2003, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Haldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to allHaldaman is a name known to all

Orange Sulphur Butterfly
Superfamily: Papilionoidea - True Butterflies
Family: Pieridae - Whites and Sulphurs
Subfamily: Coliadinae - Sulphurs
Species: Colias eurytheme

Their appearance in NC means summer is here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.