Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Wife---British Husband going to the USA

American Wife---British Husband going to the USA

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 11:39 am
Just Joined

taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American Wife---British Husband going to the USA

I am just starting this I-30 process to go to States. I married my British Husband two years and one month ago. We got married here in the UK and decided to stay here for a couple of years--due to Hubbys parents health. Now I am so homesick and just want to return to States to live with my family. Didn't realize how hard it would be to get my British Husband to the States to live and work. My question is this. I haven't had to work while living here in the UK. So I haven't had a income. I don't own a house in the States or UK. My Husband has lived with his parents for 47 years until we got married...so he has never owned property. Other then to say his name is on his parents house when they die. We have a sponsor in the States. How does all this sound for us going to the States to live? Need help and advice on this. Looking for a starting point to get paperwork started. But would like to know if we have any chances of going to States.
Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:20 pm
Adam Phillips

Default Re: American Wife---British Husband going to the USA

This is not in answer to your question, but rather to ask a question of my own. How
did you guys get married in the UK? Was it an easy process. What paperwork did you
have to go through to get UK residency etc? I ask because I am English and my Wife is
American and we want to go back to the UK soon.

--
Adam [email protected]

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 5:20 pm
L D Jones

Adam Phillips wrote:
    >
    > This is not in answer to your question, but rather to ask a question of my own. How
    > did you guys get married in the UK? Was it an easy process. What paperwork did you
    > have to go through to get UK residency etc? I ask because I am English and my Wife
    > is American and we want to go back to the UK soon.

www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk should answer your questions about getting your wife to the
UK. I (USC) married in the UK at Marylebone register office in London. It was simple.
Don't have any experience with a UK church wedding

Old Jul 23rd 2002, 7:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are a legal resident in the UK your situation is quite easy actually. You can file directly at the consulate for your husband's permanent residency/green card. You solved the one major stumbling block you had and that was lack of financial sponsorship. You will still have to complete and I-864 for him but you will also need to submit one from your co-sponsor. You will have to show that you have taken steps to re-establish the US as your principal domicile and that includes opening bank accounts, finding housing, finding employment, etc.

Rete