Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American visa ID

American visa ID

Old Oct 15th 2003, 8:36 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default American visa ID

Hi

Sorry to be doing yet more visa questions, but having decided to get a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support, I was wondering, what passes as ID?

I see birth certs and passports, but neither of my in-laws have copies, so would drivers licences do? Ive already sent off the checklist by the way!?

gulp

Yours visa annoyingly
Lee
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American visa ID

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hi

Sorry to be doing yet more visa questions, but having decided to get a co-sponsor for the affidavit of support, I was wondering, what passes as ID?

I see birth certs and passports, but neither of my in-laws have copies, so would drivers licences do? .....
You'll soon discover after you arrive in the US that "ID" = "Drivers License"!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 1:37 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I see birth certs and passports, but neither of my in-laws have copies, so would drivers licences do? Ive already sent off the checklist by the way!?

gulp

Yours visa annoyingly
Lee
Never having had to get a sponsor for my spousal visa, I want to be clear about what you're asking about.

Do sponsors, in your case, your in-laws have to prove who they are or that they are American citizens?

If it's the former, I would think their passports should suffice. If they don't have passports, their birth certificates will fine as identification and to prove they're American.

Getting a genuine copy of their birth certificates isn't difficult. My husband obtained his when he was living in the UK.

Each in-law needs to apply to the county or the state records office. My husband can't remember which of the two places he applied to but I'm sure you can find out by searching on the web.

You really should change your name to Whacky Rabbit judging by the number of questions you're coming up with

NC Penguin
Old Oct 16th 2003, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

when my husband and I went to the detroit INS office for my AOS interview he was asked to show prove of US citizenship (yeah I know stupid given all the forms and evidence we had to provide to get k1/AOS etc) anyhow my husband told the interviewer that it was not stated on the forms he needed to have proof for the interview and so he only had his drivers license with him. The guy told my husband he could NOT use his drivers license as evidence (to cut a long story short we had the guy go over the AOS forms to show us where it said he needed evidence of citizenship which he could not find so he let it drop and continued with the interview) Hope this helps.

Ash
Old Oct 16th 2003, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

MarsBar will become famous soon enoughMarsBar will become famous soon enough

Hi

gulp

Yours visa annoyingly
Lee
If you havent gotten your interview date yet you should have plenty of time to get a co-sponsor.

If your in-laws dont have copies - have them GET copies. Obtaining birth certificates in the states is not a difficult, lengthly, or expensive process.

Best thing is to simply follow the instructions.
Old Oct 16th 2003, 5:49 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Thanks guys

Yeah, we will get my father in law to get a copy of his birth cert ASAP. My mom in law and wife thought it would take ages to get a copy, but it seems they are wrong fortunately.

Thanks

Lee