Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Virgin Islands - Any info or pointers

American Virgin Islands - Any info or pointers

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:24 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default American Virgin Islands - Any info or pointers

Hi everyone,

We're thinking of perhaps relocating from California to St Croix - does anyone have any information, tips or insight they'd like to share? I'm a green card holder.

Admin: I didn't know where to put this - USA boards or Caribbean

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Virgin Islands - Any info or pointers

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Hi everyone,

We're thinking of perhaps relocating from California to St Croix - does anyone have any information, tips or insight they'd like to share? I'm a green card holder.

Admin: I didn't know where to put this - USA boards or Caribbean

Thanks in advance
I haven't been St Croix but I have been to several of the Caribbean Islands. Nice for a holiday...sorry but I wouldn't want to live in the Caribbean.

Two active members Ededed...lived in the Caribbean and Gordon Barlow has lived in Carribean for years. Might be worth PMing them.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 3rd 2016 at 8:38 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:48 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I haven't been St Croix but I have been to several of the Caribbean Islands. Nice for a holiday...sorry but I wouldn't want to live in the Caribbean.

Two active members Ededed...lived in the Caribbean and Gordon Barlow has lived in Carribean for years. Might be worth PMing them.
Thanks JG
Why wouldn't you want to live there? I have my own concerns, but would like to hear the opinions of others.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Thanks JG
Why wouldn't you want to live there? I have my own concerns, but would like to hear the opinions of others.
I'd get cabin fever...I would feel too isolated. Most things have to be shipped in from the mainland. Hurricanes, drugs and violence in many of the islands...don't know about St Croix. I suppose you could say the same about many places in the US.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:06 pm
Are we there yet?

I'd get cabin fever...I would feel too isolated. Most things have to be shipped in from the mainland. Hurricanes, drugs and violence in many of the islands...don't know about St Croix. I suppose you could say the same about many places in the US.
I believe from my preliminary research that the majority of violence is between people who know each other ie Domestic violence etc - but it is higher on the islands. Its a bit like the UK - there are shootings but normally "contained" between the factions of the criminal element.

But thats why I wanted some first hand experiences!

I don't think the "rock fever" would get to me... I love islands and the sea - I'm always much more content by the water
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Have you found this web site yet. It seems to cover a lot of generic questions about moving to and living in the US Virgin Islands.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:13 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have you found this web site yet. It seems to cover a lot of generic questions about moving to and living in the US Virgin Islands.
Yes, thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Only been there as a stop on a cruise ship, but it's very pretty. I wouldn't mind living there for a spell. It's not isolated, as would be Hawaii for instance. I would go for it if I were you. Are you taking the MIL with you?
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:41 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by Mallory
Only been there as a stop on a cruise ship, but it's very pretty. I wouldn't mind living there for a spell. It's not isolated, as would be Hawaii for instance. I would go for it if I were you. Are you taking the MIL with you?
Funny you should ask................ NO
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in the Cayman Islands for quite a while. Loved it. Loved the small town feel and the water of course. Easy to make friends and a slower pace of life. Work environment is great there and there is definitely a work/life balance.
I haven't been to St Croix but it looks beautiful. Crime is definitely localised between the gangs and the more unsavory characters. Shopping cravings can be taken care of with quarterly trips to Miami.
I was ready to leave when I did, to follow BF up to the US, but visit regularly as I miss having good friends.

Will you be working? Unless you're a USC you'll have to be at the mercy of work permits - which is a bummer but workable. Have you read the book - Don't stop the Carnival?

Last edited by Orangepants; Aug 3rd 2016 at 11:01 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

They drive on the left hand side of the road, which is strange for a US territory.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:56 am
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by daveincolchester
They drive on the left hand side of the road, which is strange for a US territory.
yeah and most of their cars are American imports (ie left hand drive) so that will be fun!
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the just-retired chief of police for our town and his wife have moved there so I guess it can't be too bad.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:08 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I keep meaning to go as I have a relative who owns a restaurant there (or at least he did, been ages since I last spoke to him), his view from what I recall is that you don't want to live anywhere near the oil refinery, which is the largest employer on the island. And the weather he said is like Miami but a bit warmer and a bit more humid, which I take it means you have to swim everywhere.

Everyone drives around in 4x4s apparently because you have to go off-road or on non-paved roads frequently.

He never said anything about crime being bad.

The main advantage is the tax situation. Which is not as amazingly good as say, the Cayman Islands but there is no equivalent to a State income tax.

But it's a small place so I doubt the shops are up to much.

I shall have to try and get in touch, thinking about it.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 1:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hurricanes,
This is what puts me off, having been through a major one. If you live in Florida at least you can move north but on an island it's a nightmare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.