British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   An American Tradition: Girl Scout Cookies? Do you indulge? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-tradition-girl-scout-cookies-do-you-indulge-277509/)

NC Penguin Jan 14th 2005 2:43 pm

An American Tradition: Girl Scout Cookies? Do you indulge?

I'd heard of the legend of the Girl Scout cookies long before I ever lived in the US. So, when I had my first opportunity to buy them, I bought about four boxes, mostly 'cos the spouse was hankering for them (after four years of living in the UK must have created a really great need of these cookies).

So, it's that time of year when any Girl Scout's mother or father you know is suddenly in your face waving an order form.

There's two Girl Scout mothers on my floor and they have both put up order forms for their respective daughters. Ordering has been pretty swift so far, coworkers carefully splitting their orders between both girls.

Do you and your family order these Girl Scout cookies? Do they make it to the freezer? Do you like the cookies?

NC Penguin

Manc Jan 14th 2005 2:56 pm

Re: An American Tradition: Girl Scout Cookies? Do you indulge?

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'd heard of the legend of the Girl Scout cookies long before I ever lived in the US. So, when I had my first opportunity to buy them, I bought about four boxes, mostly 'cos the spouse was hankering for them (after four years of living in the UK must have created a really great need of these cookies).

So, it's that time of year when any Girl Scout's mother or father you know is suddenly in your face waving an order form.

There's two Girl Scout mothers on my floor and they have both put up order forms for their respective daughters. Ordering has been pretty swift so far, coworkers carefully splitting their orders between both girls.

Do you and your family order these Girl Scout cookies? Do they make it to the freezer? Do you like the cookies?

NC Penguin

the thin mints and maccaroon things are the bomb.

we indulge, but just a few boxes as they're bloody expensive.

robskatie Jan 14th 2005 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

Yeah they are!!! The crispy creme do-nuts are the hard one's to resist when the schools sell them first thing in the morning nice and warm! A friend of mine has a son in the boy scouts, they sell the popcorn, along she came with her order form..... try to run and hide, no luck!! $7 for the smallest can of popcorn, and we don't even like the stuff :eek:

BritishInOhio Jan 14th 2005 3:19 pm

Personally I don't buy them, we have a lot of mothers and fathers flogging them here where I work, buy off one and everyone expects you to buy from them. Though this is not my reason for not buying them, I give to charity, this year my wife and I have donated over 200 hours of our time, $2500 of our money and our car to charities we support. I belive you should pick your charities and should not feel obligated to give to anyone who asks you. For those of you who are interested my charities of choice are PAWS Chicago, The Humane Society, Breast Cancer, and we also gave some to the Tsumani victims too.

Though I must admit my decision to boycott the G.S. cookies has drawn a few shocked faces from parents here. But ohh well what can you do.

Does the money raised by the cookies just go to the G.S. orgonisation, like "Bob a job week" when I was in the cubs, or to other charities too.

NC Penguin Jan 14th 2005 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie
Yeah they are!!! The crispy creme do-nuts are the hard one's to resist when the schools sell them first thing in the morning nice and warm! A friend of mine has a son in the boy scouts, they sell the popcorn, along she came with her order form..... try to run and hide, no luck!! $7 for the smallest can of popcorn, and we don't even like the stuff :eek:

Just out of curiosity, how much do the schools charge per Krispy Kreme doughnut?

NC Penguin

AmerLisa Jan 14th 2005 4:13 pm

sigh....fund raisers....god I hate them! I remember when I was a kid and in the Girl Scouts and we had to go and sell those damn cookies! :mad: I haven't bought a box in years, although my husband did last year....softie. I can say no if the little things come to the door or hound me at the supermarket....doesn't bother me. I figure the parents are hounding their co-workers anyway :D

I know this sounds really horrible. But, my 3 year old just started pre-school this year and guess what, the whole year is devoted to fund raising of one sort or another....this really infuriates me. It annoys me even more when public funded school children need to go door to door to raise money for something that their school cannot fund.

Ok, rant over. Sorry. :o

NC Penguin Jan 14th 2005 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
sigh....fund raisers....god I hate them! I remember when I was a kid and in the Girl Scouts and we had to go and sell those damn cookies! :mad:

Come February, I'm sure I'll see Girl Scouts selling their manufactured cookies outside local grocery stores. Not quite door to door but they're strategically placed to catch you.

<<snip>>

NC Penguin

Bob Jan 14th 2005 4:25 pm

Too pricey, too annoying, though the thin mints ain't bad, stick those in the freezer and have one every now and again...

AmerLisa Jan 14th 2005 4:36 pm

Come February, I'm sure I'll see Girl Scouts selling their manufactured cookies outside local grocery stores. Not quite door to door but they're strategically placed to catch you.

<<snip>>

NC Penguin

Ah, but I look them straight in the eye and say no. And then give the parent with them a dirty look..... ;)

robskatie Jan 14th 2005 4:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, how much do the schools charge per Krispy Kreme doughnut?

NC Penguin

$5 per box, not bad really, just on the waistline!!

CalgaryAMC Jan 14th 2005 4:51 pm

I'm a softie, I always buy from the kids, but never eat the stuff 'cause I don't know where it's been.

CalgaryAMC Jan 14th 2005 4:59 pm

I have never noticed the handy "similar threads" feature at the bottom of the page. Apparently, the matter of girl scout cookies corresponds with something a thread titled, "FBI turned AMERICA into a NATION of PROGRAMMED SLAVES and ROBOTS"

Bob Jan 14th 2005 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I have never noticed the handy "similar threads" feature at the bottom of the page. Apparently, the matter of girl scout cookies corresponds with something a thread titled, "FBI turned AMERICA into a NATION of PROGRAMMED SLAVES and ROBOTS"

always amusing and random that ain't it :)

AdobePinon Jan 14th 2005 5:14 pm

Here's a good quality New Mexico story (from KOB-TV) for you:

Woman sued over $1,400 in Girl Scout cookies

Last Update: 01/14/2005 10:12:46 AM
By: Reed Upton

A San Juan County woman is being sued by an Albuquerque-based Girl Scouts chapter for allegedly embezzling more than $1,400 worth of Girl Scout cookies over a period of years.

The suit, filed by a collections agency in Albuquerque on behalf of the Chaparral Council of Girl Scouts of America, contends the woman “received the cookies in trust� and was expected to “send the sales proceeds to the Girl Scouts.�

The suit further contends the woman “refused to pay� and characterizes her actions as “embezzlement of the cookies.�

A spokesperson for the Girl Scouts would not comment in person, but in a written statement said cookie sales income helps “to keep girl scouting affordable and available to all girls.�

The statement also notes that “litigation to collect outstanding payments is extremely rare.�

It’s unclear, based upon the court filing, if the woman is the mother of a Girl Scout or a Girl Scout volunteer.

If the lawsuit stands up in court, the woman could be forced to pay not only the cost of the roughly 500 boxes of Girl Scout cookies, but back interest, as well.

ironporer Jan 14th 2005 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

$3.00 a box is expensive? Oreos, NutterButters, Keebler's all cost about the same.

And Bob's right on the frozen Thin Mints...mmmmmmmmmmm.