Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American strange ...

American strange ...

Old Jul 20th 2004, 1:45 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000
In Texas use of these strange little blinking lights means "Hey, you in the other lane! I really need to get into your lane so please accelerate as fast as you can to block me, then slow down to keep me blocked while staring straight ahead and pretending you didn't see me". People tell me they don't use turn signals beacuse it's always easier to catch the guy in the other lane by surprise, and they're serious.

The biggest impact on my life of guns being so prevalent in Texas? I don't even dare give the bastards the finger when they piss me off like that
You also have to get used to the guy in the left lane of a 5 lane freeway waiting 'til he's level with the exit he needs before cutting across the lanes to his right to make the exit.

I'm with you on the gun thing, I have learned to be so much more laid back than I used to be driving in the UK.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
The majority of those shoppers want Albertsons to pay them for scanning and bagging.

Self check out is optional, people!
Whatever next

I love the self scan thingy... I always use it whenever I am only buying a few things... do I think I should be paid for having more convience... hmmm NO!

Ash
Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yorkshirelass
Exactly! Except I ask for it medium to thick which completey confuses the deli staff!
Ha - same here, but was at the store today, and noticed that they now have a 'grade card' on the counter showing thicknesses 1-10. Good move i thought, until I asked for thickness 7, and it became instantly clear that the servers didn't actually know the card had been put there......
Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000

However, the most life-threatening "American strange" thing I do is to use my indicators ("turn signals" for the Yanks reading) when driving. In Texas use of these strange little blinking lights means "Hey, you in the other lane! I really need to get into your lane so please accelerate as fast as you can to block me, then slow down to keep me blocked while staring straight ahead and pretending you didn't see me". People tell me they don't use turn signals beacuse it's always easier to catch the guy in the other lane by surprise, and they're serious.

You reckon? I was amazed when I came here how polite everyone is on the roads. Pretty bad drivers, most of them, definitely, but very polite with it. I put it down to "the gun thing" (with you 100% on that!), but maybe it depends what you're used to - we were in Singapore for 8 years before coming here and they elevated obstructive agressive driving to an artform if not a national sport! I personally attributed it to all the guys being a bit paranoid about having small pr*cks and needing to make up for it!! There was even an article in the Straits Times about about this particular "local sensitivity"
Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:10 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yorkieabroad
You reckon? I was amazed when I came here how polite everyone is on the roads. Pretty bad drivers, most of them, definitely, but very polite with it. I put it down to "the gun thing" (with you 100% on that!), but maybe it depends what you're used to - we were in Singapore for 8 years before coming here and they elevated obstructive agressive driving to an artform if not a national sport! I personally attributed it to all the guys being a bit paranoid about having small pr*cks and needing to make up for it!! There was even an article in the Straits Times about about this particular "local sensitivity"
I have a big penis and still drive like an arsehole - explain that one
Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:17 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Mr Magoo glasses - explains both
Old Jul 20th 2004, 3:56 am

You're clearly deceiving yourself on one of those statements
Old Jul 20th 2004, 4:55 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. "Having" and "Being" are two verbs that you seem to be getting confused here.

Old Jul 20th 2004, 9:28 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I go through the self checkout so I pack my own bags, I love the fact that you do not to speak to anyone when I shop, the sooner Wallyworld introduces it the better
Our Wally has just introduced it this week. Haven't used it yet though, there are checkout workers hovering over the self checkouts, makes me nervous! How does it work for fruit and veg?

Debbie
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:52 am

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I find me driving down the left side of the road confuses alot of people.

By habit when I go to the bank I say "can I pay this in please" and the person behind the desk refuses to have a guess at what I want. I've even had people say "oh I can't help you" and ask for the next customer.

A big one is asking people you work with if they fancy a drink after work. The utter horror on their faces is astounding. Which is very confusing when you go to their house at night and realise they drink locally made cack beer by the case load every night.

Walking. Anywhere. If I park at one end of a strip-mall with friends and go in the first store, then proceed to a different one they get confused. Quite often they'll stand mouth-open wondering what to do. And they have the cheek to act as if I'm simple because I haven't figured out you can drive there. Unfortunately it can become a habit and I've hated myself for driving 10 feet from Wegmans to Target.

And worst of all saying hello to people on the street. According to friends saying hello to people is actually confrontational. "Don't talk to the poor people, they want to kill you!"
Old Jul 20th 2004, 2:40 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Traffic lights! They stay amber for so much longer in the US. When I first started driving here I would brake as soon as I saw a light change to amber, usually skidding to a halt right on the traffic intersection line. I always had a bunch of very irate drivers behind me and lots of middle finger salutes thrown my way!