Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American smuggles handguns into UK

American smuggles handguns into UK

Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:02 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default American smuggles handguns into UK

Mark Edwards, Mr Greenoe's lawyer, said of his client: "Steve's a bright young man, very sociable, a bright guy, well read, well educated, well travelled. He's been all over the world. He's an interesting man to deal with and not my average client at all."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225994161990
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:14 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American smuggles handguns into UK

I've thought about this before*. It's really easy to do with Glocks... except for one thing.
The trigger guard and and handle. It's molded in one piece.

But I can guarantee the average mook wouldn't be able to recognize the slide, barrel, guide rod and spring. And all the other parts are *easy* to take apart to conceal their identities.

*Just as an academic exercise during an idle moment.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Jan 25th 2011 at 2:21 am.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:15 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

"Since the 9/11 attacks in 2001, the US has demanded tougher screening of passengers, luggage and cargo. But the arms smuggling case suggests that its own security measures, especially at smaller airports, are a weak link."

What was it the bible said? Can't remember the exact quote, but it was something about taking your head out of your own ar4ehole before trying to remove others heads from theirs?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:17 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I've thought about this before. It's really easy to do with Glocks... except for one thing.

But I can guarantee the average mook wouldn't be able to recognize the slide, barrel, guide rod and spring. And all the other parts are *easy* to take apart to conceal their identities.

http://images6.fotki.com/v96/photos/...MG_7518-vi.jpg
Not gonna ask why you were thinking about it...?

What would happen if you taped the handle against say a square piece of metal - would it still show up on the x-ray or would it just show the square?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:20 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
What would happen if you taped the handle against say a square piece of metal - would it still show up on the x-ray or would it just show the square?
I would hope that large square objects that show up as solid/opaque objects on the x-ray screen are the sort of thing that get your bag flagged so that someone actually takes it aside to have a proper look inside.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:28 am

Bit if handgun shaped things don't raise a flag.....?

There are lots of legitimate squarethings that might be in a case!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:31 am
Peace onion

It sound like this guy had a legitimate business. Seems silly to throw all that away for, what, at most would be 400,000, if all 80 guns were Glocks and he could shift them for 5,000 a pop. (I know the article said 20 were Glocks, I assume the rest were Rugers).

Anyway, I always thought if you were to commit a crime for profit, it must be a one-off and a big enough score that you'd never need to take the risk again.

Yorkieabroad, I was just thinking about it - that it would be possible. I do admit to once considering taking my parents a bottle of OC-17 pepper spray because it would just look like a can of deodorant or hairspray.
But then I thought, the thrill of getting it through wouldn't be worth the risk of getting caught and spending tens of thousands or dollars and probable prison time. I like my freedom too much, thank you very much. Also, if my mum was ever mugged and sprayed the culprit, no doubt she'd end up doing hard time while the perp would get 20 hours community service.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Jan 25th 2011 at 2:41 am.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I've thought about this before*. It's really easy to do with Glocks... except for one thing.

http://images6.fotki.com/v96/photos/...MG_7518-vi.jpg

http://www.thegreygirl.com/wp-conten...0/08/glock.png

*Just as an academic exercise during an idle moment.
Why take it apart? I'd be surprised if the UK x-rayed all shipping containers.

IIRC there was a container load of second-hand AK-47s that was caught arriving in New York a few years back; but they don't x-ray all containers, so it makes you wonder how many get through.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:05 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=Octang Frye;
Yorkieabroad, I was just thinking about it - that it would be possible. I do admit to once considering taking my parents a bottle of OC-17 pepper spray because it would just look like a can of deodorant or hairspray.
But then I thought, the thrill of getting it through wouldn't be worth the risk of getting caught and spending tens of thousands or dollars and probable prison time. I like my freedom too much, thank you very much. Also, if my mum was ever mugged and sprayed the culprit, no doubt she'd end up doing hard time while the perp would get 20 hours community service.[/QUOTE]

A friend accidentally carried a small pepper spray to and from the UK in their handbag last year. They did not realize until they got back to US. It was one the the small ones about 3 inches long and 1 inch diameter all made of plastic so it did not show on the X-Ray.

People have also been known to break weapons down and mail the pieces separately, this was at one point particularly common with Flick knives bought in Spain. The buyer would remove the spring and post it home then take the knife in checked in baggage as a folding knife. Once home they put the spring back in.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:33 am

Couple of years back when we went to Disney my wife took a loaf of bread in in her shoulder bag (dont ask!). When they did the bag search on the way in they made her take it out of the plastic bag and open it (it was sliced!) to show there was nothing in the middle!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:42 am
Peace onion

I don't recall being searched at Disney World. I'd raise merry hell. Was this after September 11th?
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
"Since the 9/11 attacks in 2001, the US has demanded tougher screening of passengers, luggage and cargo. But the arms smuggling case suggests that its own security measures, especially at smaller airports, are a weak link."
Not really - according to the story, a security screening did detect the weapons on at least one occasion.

Note that it is not illegal to transport weapons in checked baggage as the TSA web site indicates.

So, while he should have declared them to the airline when he checked in, it isn't particularly surprising that he was still allowed to travel even after the weapons were discovered.

This wasn't a security issue for the flight that he was on - the issue is that he was smuggling something illegal into the UK but it isn't up to the TSA to do UK customs job for them.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:47 pm

I don't recall being searched at Disney World. I'd raise merry hell. Was this after September 11th?
Yeah, our kids are only young, so the first time we went was only a couple of years ago. Don't know if this is a post 9/11 reaction or not.

They have a separate line for people with bags and a table to the side to search them...actually make you open each bag, and each pocket and they poke around in them with a stick.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by md95065
Not really - according to the story, a security screening did detect the weapons on at least one occasion.

Note that it is not illegal to transport weapons in checked baggage as the TSA web site indicates.

So, while he should have declared them to the airline when he checked in, it isn't particularly surprising that he was still allowed to travel even after the weapons were discovered.

This wasn't a security issue for the flight that he was on - the issue is that he was smuggling something illegal into the UK but it isn't up to the TSA to do UK customs job for them.
So they discovered what, 20 out of 80?...not a great batting average....

And if he was doing this legitimately he should have declared them, so there shouldn't have been any 'discovering'. He didn't but was still allowed to travel?

You're right that it wasn't a security issue for the flight as it was in his check in luggage, but still, some serious issues to sort out.

Wonder what would happen if boarding security turned up say a kilo of cocaine in someones carry on. "Oh, carry on sir - we're only concerned with on board security - we'll let the customs chaps deal with you at the other end....?"
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

All bags get searched at Disney now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.