Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The (American) Office

The (American) Office

Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:00 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future
Default Re: The (American) Office

Originally Posted by ironporer
Excepting perhaps "All in the Family" which was one of the funniest shows ever for a few years.
Sanford and Son was also popular over here and that was copied from Steptoe and Son. There's another one they did that was big...can't think of it right now.....

I know they tried to do a US version of Faulty Towers that completely bombed.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:21 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pigtails
Sanford and Son was also popular over here and that was copied from Steptoe and Son. There's another one they did that was big...can't think of it right now.....

Also - Three's Company was based on Man About The House.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That crosby show, his other one was based on one foot in the grave...

but most of the others have bombed like ab-fab...
oh and my family, recently, that was shite
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:40 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah..scary...and shite...the people were so much more chisled and less tw@ish looking....and punchlines didn't quite work...
Made for Americans, not Brits so hopefully the punchlines will tickle the Americans. One can only hope.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:51 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, why does your voice sound so familiar to me??
Sanford and Son was ok...Redd Foxx made the show, though he was much funnier in person, or albums...uncensored.

Are there no US shows that were copied and turned "Brittish" and broadcast over there?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:52 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by elfman
Also - Three's Company was based on Man About The House.
That's the one I was racking my brain over. Thanks!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:54 am

Are there no US shows that were copied and turned "Brittish" and broadcast over there?

My voice sounds familiar?? Must be the accent giving me away! LOL!

Did we copy most of their game shows? Price is Right, Family Fortunes etc. or did they get them from us???
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:57 am
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light

Did we copy most of their game shows? Price is Right, Family Fortunes etc. or did they get them from us???
No we got it from them. There was also a British version of the Golden Girls, which is a stupid idea since the original was still running on Channel 4 at the time.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:58 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I think we can blame you lot for Gladiators.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Made for Americans, not Brits so hopefully the punchlines will tickle the Americans. One can only hope.
Even the missus cringed at this one...but she did say that the main guy did look more like middle managment US tw@ material *lol*
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by nxylas
No we got it from them. ....
but game shows can work when there copied...oh weakest link is a shite over here and who wants to be a millionaire is a lot easier...but comdies...they don't tend to work...
anyone remember coupling remake? :scared:
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Bob
anyone remember coupling remake? :scared:
Wasn't that crap?

When is season 5 coming out does anyone know? Season 4 was a bit iffy I think. I missed Jeff.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

When is season 5 coming out does anyone know? Season 4 was a bit iffy I think. I missed Jeff.
I thought that series four was the swan song...didn't realise they were doing another one...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-b...board=coupling

Oh.....series 5 has been ordered, but no details...apparantly....
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:52 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
You have to admire a man who's not willing to compromise his artistic integrity for any reason.....
Except money. Admirable.