Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The American Obsession...

Wikiposts

The American Obsession...

Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Obsession...

Originally Posted by RICH
Why the obsession?(for Brits anyway) My guess, in some cases is that, since apparently so many people do emigrate to US, once one looks into it and finds that it is not actually possible for "just anyone" to come, there is an element of indignation.

"What do you mean, of course I must qualify for one of the visas, just tell me which one, I am British don't you know."

And inter EU migration is essentially unrestricted, so why would anywhere else be different.
From the 1920's to the the 1960's, immigration quotas were based on the national origins of American citizens (blacks and Asians were excluded) so therefore the UK and Ireland had very large quotas which were seldom filled. Then the law was changed to give all regions around the world equal opportunity to immigrate to the US and quotas for European countries were greatly reduced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Origins_Formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra...ty_Act_of_1965

If the law wasn't changed, the US would today likely be country with a significantly higher population of whites.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 8th 2013 at 12:08 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

chayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond reputechayowl has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over here because my wife had much more to give up in her life than I did, but she would love to live in the UK, she loves the buildings, the weather (yep even winter) and our general way of life. I do miss some things but I must say I love being over here, I never intended to come to the US it just happened, I suppose a lot of people are the same
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
The American obsession is an interesting thing. I see many people here enthusiastic about moving to the US. I too was once that way but have the benefit of experience. The US is not a bad place overall. Frankly, the people here can be very friendly especially IMHO when you get away from the big cities NY, LA, SF. But the two countries UK and USA are very different. I think many people come here not recognizing any differences or ambivalent to them at first.

The difference between coming to the US because you have to (third world, nowhere else to go, your country has just blown itself apart) and being a volunteer from a modern western European state cannot be underestimated. It has always fascinated me that the statistical studies generally show most Western European's return to their countries of origin about 10 years after emigrating to the US. Sounds about right to me, because once you weigh up, or wise up, to the differences and start comparing you were likely better off in your original country. All kinds of things are different here: Benefits, workplace attitudes, laws and rules. At will employment is no joke to the vast majority of US citizens who in a safe place would confess that they know that their employer's know this and use it to exact more work, as a proverbial 'Sword of Damocles' over the employees head. As every employer in the US knows employees, especially those with families, need healthcare. And healthcare is the one thing that cannot just be procured in the US v's Europe where its generally free at point of service. Consequently, employees become 'slaves' to the job. There is no throwing caution to the wind, hedonistic acts such as 'I'll quit tomorrow' for most people here, as quite simply they cannot afford to both medically and monetarily.

For the newbies trying to come over I know this does not register but once you become ingrained in the lifestyle here you realize that what you had was likely quite a lot more than what you have. Perhaps its all a matter of timing and perspective?

Ultimately, its choice. I am always amazed at the number of people wanting to come here and the equally large number (like myself) trying to get back. I really would trade tomorrow if it were possible to do so.
I didn't know that and find it interesting. I came here because my husband (a Brit) got a job transfer. We have since divorced. I would move back to the UK tomorrow if I did not have adult children and grand-children here. I don't hate it here - indeed there's a lot of things I like, but there's a lot I don't like too. I believe at one time most Americans had a better standard of living than Western Europeans - not any more. With the cost of health care, job stress, not much vacation time, I am way worse off than my family members and friends back home. Of course, Brits love to complain about their lot, and most of them think I'm living the life of Riley here - they just don't get it when I try to explain what it's really like.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
From the 1920's to the the 1960's, immigration quotas were based on the national origins of American citizens (blacks and Asians were excluded) so therefore the UK and Ireland had very large quotas which were seldom filled. Then the law was changed to give all regions around the world equal opportunity to immigrate to the US and quotas for European countries were greatly reduced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Origins_Formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigra...ty_Act_of_1965

If the law wasn't changed, the US would today likely be country with a significantly higher population of whites.
Also, let's not forget that an awful lot of British people have American ancestors. During the period 1600-1800, significantly more people migrated from North America to Britain than from Britain to North America. Then in more modern times, say 1917-1950, when migration from the UK to the US was low, the number of migrants from the US to the UK was higher in most years than vice-versa.

No doubt these statistics are debatable. The early figures are based on shipping records, probably very incomplete, and twentieth century records are from the US Statistical Abstract and the British equivalent, both published on an annual basis.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is the "American Dream" as mediated by Holywood and TV. Dream holiday destination for many here is the Redneck Riviera !!!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Also, let's not forget that an awful lot of British people have American ancestors. During the period 1600-1800, significantly more people migrated from North America to Britain than from Britain to North America.
Are you sure you are looking at migration there - or straightforward commercial links within the Atlantic economy ? The 13 colonies were a maritime society with strong relationships to British cities - many communicated more with London than they did with one another. In the 1700s there were around 1000 Americans (many wealthy planters) living in London at any one time & America was a great source of sailors for merchant shipping and the navy. Certainly if the out migration was higher than the emigration I would have expected net population loss - not so much in New England where the rate of natural increase was extremely high - but certainly in less healthy regions like the Chesapeake.

Two examples spring to mind of population loss - the first was at the end of the Puritan Migration when around one in six or perhaps as high as one in four people returned to Britain from New England once Cromwell took charge. Then there were the convicts and indentured servants who served their time and chose to return - though many stayed if they could procure plots of land. The largest example were the 80,000 American Loyalists who chose to leave the 13 colonies after the revolution - around half of whom chose to go to Britain.

Even so I think outmigration and remigration were more features of America in the late nineteenth century - from 1901-1920 36 returned for every 100 who stayed.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:11 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chayowl
I moved over here because my wife had much more to give up in her life than I did, but she would love to live in the UK, she loves the buildings, the weather (yep even winter) and our general way of life. I do miss some things but I must say I love being over here, I never intended to come to the US it just happened, I suppose a lot of people are the same
That's our situation. We love Aberdeen... we actually both feel very at home there and I have a strange affinity for the place. I do work for an international oil company but I am "not needed there at this time". So my husband is coming to the US to live with me, though he never thought he would. His saying is "home is where you are when you close the door." I understand that but I would rather be in the UK for family and cultural reasons more than anything.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Love, work or weather are the big three. Or there is something you can do that you can't do where you come from.

Canada and the US are different countries, you can't really equate the two although people try to (I mean I knew a lot of people spoke French and they were more left-leaning). I thought this to some extent before I moved to Canada but it is culturally, legally and in many other ways a very different place. I would say the gap is definitely larger than it is between say, GB and Ireland. Even France and Germany share various similarities because of the EU that the US and Canada do not.

Even if you go into an American chainstore there are differences. You think aha, I'll go into a Burger King. Prices are twice what they are in the US, they sell poutine, they use the InterAC system for payments, currency is different, the staff are more likely to be Indian or Filipino than they are in the US where they are often latino, etc.

I'd say a Burger King in the UK has less differences, frankly.
It's hard to make sweeping generalizations. The US is very diverse in terms of climate, geography and economy. I used to live in Canada and still visit often (just drove up to London, Ontario and back again this past weekend). Southern Ontario isn't that much different from upstate NY or PA in terms of lifestyle. Living in Washington state probably isn't that much different from living in lower BC. I have a friend who says Canada very much reminds him of his time growing up in Minnesota.

Obviously as you go further south in the US, you will find obvious differences in terms of geography, climate and culture. But the northern US states probably have more in common with Canada than with the southern states.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Pumba NI is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Y'know that Vancouver is in Canada, right? If you're willing to give Vancouver a try, then you can't really make a blanket statement that Canada is too cold.

Ian
I do. My research says the city proper has a slightly warmer climate. As do my friends that have emigrated there.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Y'know that Vancouver is also in Washington state, right? Probably one of the few, if not only, train rides in the world where one can catch a direct train between two identically-named cities.
Hehe, quick off the ball. I've been there, but I prefer Portland.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
It is the "American Dream" as mediated by Holywood and TV.
The "American Dream" is the American Dream because... well sometimes - like maybe once in a very rare "blue moon" - myth and reality merge. The American Dream becomes The American Reality which of course, further reinforces the myth......etc.......
This morning there was a moving story on the news on NPR:

Until now, all thru the years, there have apparently only been 4 poets invited to compose something and then read it at the Presidential inauguration. Two of those 4 invitees included the great American poets - Robert Frost (for John Kennedy) and Maya Angelou (for Clinton).

This year Barack Obama has conferred that rare honour on a relatively young, unknown 44 year old. He's Richard Blanco, a gay Cuban-American poet who was interviewed on NPR this morning.
His surprise, his profound sense of awe, wonder, gratitude, trepidation, joy and elation over this tremendous honour were absolutely manifest as he spoke about his life journey and quite moving. As he put it - "I was made in Cuba ( 'tho conceived there, his mother was 8 months pregnant with him when she fled her native country....), assembled in Spain (where he was actually born a month later) and imported to the US"(where he was brought by his family shortly after - and has lived ever since.
And speaking of "the American dream" look at the honour that has now befallen him!
I immediately thought of his story when I came upon this thread.
Of course, as has been pointed out in an earlier post - those emigrating from "3rd world countries" (not to mention those seeking asylum) differ markedly from Brits, both in their motivation to come here and in their dreams.

Last edited by MMcD; Jan 9th 2013 at 11:36 am.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
The "American Dream" is the American Dream because... well sometimes - like maybe once in a very rare "blue moon" - myth and reality merge. The American Dream becomes The American Reality which of course, further reinforces the myth......etc.......
This morning there was a moving story on the news on NPR:

Until now, all thru the years, there have apparently only been 4 poets invited to compose something and then read it at the Presidential inauguration. Two of those 4 invitees included the great American poets - Robert Frost (for John Kennedy) and Maya Angelou (for Clinton).

This year Barack Obama has conferred that rare honour on a relatively young, unknown 44 year old. He's Richard Blanco, a gay Cuban-American poet who was interviewed on NPR this morning.
His surprise, his profound sense of awe, wonder, gratitude, trepidation, joy and elation over this tremendous honour were absolutely manifest as he spoke about his life journey and quite moving. As he put it - "I was made in Cuba ( 'tho conceived there, his mother was 8 months pregnant with him when she fled her native country....), assembled in Spain (where he was actually born a month later) and imported to the US"(where he was brought by his family shortly after - and has lived ever since.
And speaking of "the American dream" look at the honour that has now befallen him!
I immediately thought of his story when I came upon this thread.
Of course, as has been pointed out in an earlier post - those emigrating from "3rd world countries" (not to mention those seeking asylum) differ markedly from Brits, both in their motivation to come here and in their dreams.
Cuba would not be as poor if it were not for US sanctions - so maybe he could have had his own Cuban Dream.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:05 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Cuba would not be as poor if it were not for US sanctions - so maybe he could have had his own Cuban Dream.
and there would not have been a Castro if it was not for the American dream being made at the expense of the Cuban dream during the Batista years.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
and there would not have been a Castro if it was not for the American dream being made at the expense of the Cuban dream during the Batista years.
Yes good point.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Yes good point.
alas...agreed
2 good points....
Old Jan 11th 2013, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

I came here because I love it. Always have done in fact. That being said im an employer and not an employee and I definitely think that makes a lot of difference! Somehow I dont think I would be as enthusiastic for the country if I only had a weeks holiday in the entire year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.