Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The American Obsession...

The American Obsession...

Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default The American Obsession...

I am genuinely interested in this subject...

I've been a "viewer" of this form since the early summer, an avid viewer and member/poster since September 2012.

I am fascinated with the number of people who post with their obsession with moving to the US, sometimes particularly NYC or another specific city but alot of the time the entire country of the US.

Although I do like US culture (and North American - US-Canadian culture in general), my main reason for moving is my better half who I met through work here in the UK is American. It's fantastic I have the opportunity to live and work in the US and I am grateful for it but I wouldn't be moving if it wasn't for her.

So, why the obsession? Especially when Canada offers many of the same "benefits" of living in the United States and is much easier for British nationals to visit (especially those under 30 who can achieve an IEC visa).
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Obsession...

Holiday in the sun to Disneyland and then watching someone snap their fingers on Eastenders and able to move here in a matter of days make it all seem very easy.

Plus people probably want to move to an area they've seen a lot of on tele/movie or been on holiday rather than some random dump in the middle of Alabama...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 12:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COSPhil
I am genuinely interested in this subject...

I've been a "viewer" of this form since the early summer, an avid viewer and member/poster since September 2012.

I am fascinated with the number of people who post with their obsession with moving to the US, sometimes particularly NYC or another specific city but alot of the time the entire country of the US.

Although I do like US culture (and North American - US-Canadian culture in general), my main reason for moving is my better half who I met through work here in the UK is American. It's fantastic I have the opportunity to live and work in the US and I am grateful for it but I wouldn't be moving if it wasn't for her.

So, why the obsession? Especially when Canada offers many of the same "benefits" of living in the United States and is much easier for British nationals to visit (especially those under 30 who can achieve an IEC visa).
From my time spent on this forum, I think people coming on here fall into one of the 3 categories:

1) Their work is moving them to the US
2) They have fallen for a USC and are moving here to be with them
3) They want the 'American Dream' and believe life here is better than life elsewhere.

Many of the people from category (3) have only ever been here on holiday or more worryingly, never at all. Their opinion is mostly based on the media's potrayal of the US (especially NYC) and a notion that anyone and everyone can 'make it' here. Sadly, this is simply not the case.

Maybe a little generalising on my behalf but I believe it to be true for the most part.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So, why the obsession?
Why?

1) People are gullible and often make irrational choices.
2) They watch too much TV.
3) They visit for a week and think it's so much better than where they currently are!
4) They "love the lifestyle"... as though that, on it's own, should provide sufficient motivation.
5) They hate where they currently are.

and, my favorite reason...

6) They want to get away from the government!

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why?

6) They want to get away from the government!

Ian

The fools! Don't they realise there is a government here too?!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

The US has built a powerful, psychological "brand" that appeals to people all over the world.

American dominance of mass-market entertainment makes it more likely that potential immigrants will be aware of, and drawn to, the US. No-one dreams of moving to Montreal to make it in the movies, or Vancouver to make it in the fashion business.

The grass is always greener, and the US has made a huge effort to have the greenest-looking grass on the block. Those dissatisfied with their personal situations, work prospects and love lives think that moving here will solve all their problems!

It's often said in the forums - and I agree with this - if you are the kind of person who is generally optimistic and happy with your lot, you will have a successful move, ignoring the negatives and enjoying the positives. If you are moving because you are unhappy with your lot in your home country, you most likely be unhappy with your lot in the US...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisdc
The US has built a powerful, psychological "brand" that appeals to people all over the world.

American dominance of mass-market entertainment makes it more likely that potential immigrants will be aware of, and drawn to, the US. No-one dreams of moving to Montreal to make it in the movies, or Vancouver to make it in the fashion business.

The grass is always greener, and the US has made a huge effort to have the greenest-looking grass on the block. Those dissatisfied with their personal situations, work prospects and love lives think that moving here will solve all their problems!

It's often said in the forums - and I agree with this - if you are the kind of person who is generally optimistic and happy with your lot, you will have a successful move, ignoring the negatives and enjoying the positives. If you are moving because you are unhappy with your lot in your home country, you most likely be unhappy with your lot in the US...
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: The American Obsession...

That sounds spot on to me!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yup... I agree!

Ian
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
'
'Plus people probably want to move to an area they've seen a lot of on tele/movie or been on holiday rather than some random dump in the middle of Alabama...
Yep, watch out for those dumps in Alabama!

http://www.google.com/search?q=gulf+...w=1366&bih=643
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Yep, watch out for those dumps in Alabama!

http://www.google.com/search?q=gulf+...w=1366&bih=643
As opposed to...

Anyone can pull out nice or horrid photo's about all parts of the US, doesn't change peoples perceptions and stereotypes of the place without actually knowing anything about it.

It's why the majority of threads of hopeful wishing of moving to the US consists of Orlando, NYC, San Fran or LA and very little of any where else unless there's a job or family to move to.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:25 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha! I love funny signs. I recognise that one from a movie!

Here's another strange one in MA.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/anti-...ing-its-idiot/
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is definitely a key component - maybe THE key component.

Like many other people on this forum, I grew up in the UK on a steady diet of American movies, TV shows and music. This dwarfed the output of other English speaking nations. And the fact that the US is mainly English-speaking appeals to Brits in particular (the other major competitors being Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in this regard) and also to the many people around the world who learn English as a 2nd language.

The US is seen as THE nation of immigrants. It certainly used to be but whether that is as true now is open to debate. However, the perception of the availability of the "American Dream" persists for many potential immigrants.

In terms of a comparison with Canada specifically (I lived there for 7 years but now live in the US), the US has much greater diversity in terms of geography, climate, and economy. If someone really doesn't enjoy winter weather, living in most places in Canada could be a real issue regardless of how much easier it is to emigrate to Canada. The much larger US economy means job/career opportunities are more plentiful. Also taxes are lower and salaries higher in general in the US. Of course, there are other pros and cons of living in the US as opposed to Canada but people usually only initially think of geography, climate and economy before they move as these are the most obvious factors in terms of potential lifestyle.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:59 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

"Wherever you go, there you are."
Old Jan 8th 2013, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. I'm excited about moving to the US primarily because it will put an end to nearly four years of a long distance relationship, and I'm sure I will enjoy it because I'm going into it with a positive attitude and have lots of experience of living in foreign countries, but it would certainly not be my first choice of place to live if my husband's job didn't tie him to home.

Come to think of it, though, among my friends and peers (mostly Europeans of various nationalities in their mid to late 20s, in or recently out of grad school) contempt for America is far more prevalent than the desire to move there. I think a lot of them pity me. If mass-market entertainment draws people to the US then I suppose frequent Grauniad readership has the opposite effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.