British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American Mortgage company wants UK tax returns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-mortgage-company-wants-uk-tax-returns-842349/)

hi-c Sep 3rd 2014 3:53 am

American Mortgage company wants UK tax returns

Hi,
My husband and I have been in the USA for just under 2 years. We are in the middle of buying a house and suddenly the mortgage company says they HAVE to have our UK tax returns for 2012. We have given them our P60s, but they say it's not good enough.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any advice on how to convince them we didn't have to file tax returns in the UK on the PAYE system?

Please help. We were supposed to close on the house in 2 days, looks like it may not be happening now :(

Hotscot Sep 3rd 2014 3:55 am

Re: American Mortgage company wants UK tax returns

If you tell them you don't have tax returns what's the response?

Otherwise, bung a few more thousand on the deposit perhaps?

JAJ Sep 3rd 2014 4:03 am

You cannot provide what you do not have.
So you have to tell them that you are new to the U.S. and don't come from a country with mandatory tax returns, and then one of three things will happen, 1. you are accepted anyway, 2. you are accepted but with conditions (eg larger deposit) or 3. you are refused.

It may be necessary to find a new mortgage provider.

Presumably you could always file a U.K. tax return for 2012 to make them happy, but that would probably take more time than simply finding a new provider.

GeoffM Sep 3rd 2014 5:35 am

Just over 2 years for us. Our mortgage company also asked for some impossible things, and some stupid things like saying the transfer dates from the UK differed from the reception dates in the US, and that said transfers differed in amounts (GBP vs USD - well waddya expect?!). Spoonfeed them and they were happy. As for impossible things, you write them a signed letter stating the facts - that you're not required to file tax returns in the UK in most cases. Yeah, it's way late for them to ask that but JFDI. Then per JAJ except the filing a tax return - I think that would just confuse everybody on both sides of the pond.

MsElui Sep 3rd 2014 7:18 pm

we had a similar impossible request with our first mortgage. They wanted to see my L1A husbands EAD - whcih he does not have - The L1A visa is auth to work for the one employer only so no EAD is given.
We had to provide a signed letter stating that fact and they were 'happy'. (or maybe safer to say - it never came up again lol).

RICH Sep 3rd 2014 10:42 pm

If you filed a p85 when you left, you might have received a letter / cheque. The letter might pass as u UK tax statement?

Bottom line is gotta give them something so they can clear their exception, or go up the chain to get it overruled. Good luck.

Cook_County Sep 5th 2014 7:58 pm

Just file US returns for 2012 with zero & give the bank permission to get transcripts?

JAJ Sep 6th 2014 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Cook_County (Post 11394047)
Just file US returns for 2012 with zero & give the bank permission to get transcripts?

Although perhaps a 1040NR with zero income could just complicate things further?