British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American illnesses? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-illnesses-185049/)

Trisha Oct 15th 2003 1:32 pm

American illnesses?

I don't really expect anyone to answer...but...

My fiance is from the UK and we've been approved and are waiting to get married. The thing is, he has been sick since he's been here. It's not the flu, it's not an infection. Just a low-grade fever and feeling crap but worse than a cold. He refuses to go to the doctor.

I had the same thing when I moved to the UK from US. Is this common? Do our bodies reject foreign environs? Is it just "new germs"?

Poor guy. Maybe he's allergic to America...

Manc Oct 15th 2003 2:05 pm

I was sick as a dog when I got here.
I put it down to different strains of germs that my body just wasn't used to.
I am obviously ok now, and the feeling of general not-well-being only lasted like a fortnight and then wore off.

Hope he is ok soon.

Ptarmigan Oct 15th 2003 2:18 pm

Hypochondria seems to be the most common illness here

doctor scrumpy Oct 15th 2003 2:35 pm

I found the local water had an undesired effect upon my system.

MarsBar Oct 15th 2003 2:57 pm

I was sick a lot when I first moved to the UK. I expect its just a foreign germ think. Hope he starts feeling better soon!

Trisha Oct 15th 2003 3:14 pm

thanks

thanks! i will keep stuffing him with vitamins and hope for the best.

Yosser Oct 15th 2003 3:50 pm

Re: American illnesses?

Originally posted by Trisha

My fiance is from the UK and we've been approved and are waiting to get married. The thing is, he has been sick since he's been here. It's not the flu, it's not an infection. Just a low-grade fever and feeling crap but worse than a cold. He refuses to go to the doctor.

I had the same thing when I moved to the UK from US. Is this common? Do our bodies reject foreign environs? Is it just "new germs"?

Maybe its the Air conditioning.

I was exactly the same way, sleeping under A/C and living in a A/C apartment made me feel like crap, from time to time I still have the same symptons, partically if I work in my office with the A/C on all day, but keep going out into the heat.

NC Penguin Oct 15th 2003 3:51 pm

I don't want to cause alarm but cases of West Nile Virus are still being identified. I don't know what the symptoms are but if you have standing water around where you live (even in puddles), it attracts mosquitoes that carry West Nile Virus.

I'm sure if you check the CDC website (Center for Disease Control), you can read about the symptoms in full.

NC Penguin

MarsBar Oct 15th 2003 4:05 pm

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I don't want to cause alarm but cases of West Nile Virus are still being identified. I don't know what the symptoms are but if you have standing water around where you live (even in puddles), it attracts mosquitoes that carry West Nile Virus.

I'm sure if you check the CDC website (Center for Disease Control), you can read about the symptoms in full.

NC Penguin

The chances of it being west nile are EXTREMELY low.

As Ptarmigan said "Hypochondria seems to be the most common illness here" Use your common sense and be safe!

CDC Info Sheet on West Nile

Trisha Oct 15th 2003 4:07 pm

well

we had a pretty good frost that killed a large portion of our mosquito population or at least made them think twice about life. Plus, Jonathan's more of an indoor type.

I think it's the air conditioning. He keeps complaining about it and shutting it off when I'm not there. I will get new filters...

Patrick Oct 15th 2003 5:05 pm

I am sick of all the reality TV shows, is there a pill I can take for that?

Patrick

Yosser Oct 15th 2003 5:58 pm

Re: well

we had a pretty good frost that killed a large portion of our mosquito population or at least made them think twice about life. Plus, Jonathan's more of an indoor type.

I think it's the air conditioning. He keeps complaining about it and shutting it off when I'm not there. I will get new filters...

My wife would set the Air on really low, and I use to lay there with the covers over my head, it was so friggin cold, I even use to get up early and walk out to the patio in the morning to warm up:)

I have acclimatized now though, but when my family were over a few weeks back, I was sat in the car with the A/C on, whilst my brother was sat in the back with his jacket on, he couldn't believe how cool we kept the house and inside the car. I change the filters out in our house every month or so.

PrincessofWales Oct 15th 2003 6:57 pm

We just invested in a humdifier built into the AC. That makes a difference big time, I no longer wake up in the morning with a mouth as dry as... well, you get the point.

I find that not only is illness more prevalent here, but the treatments are inappropriate...particularly the over use of antibiotics. I went to the doc last year with a throat problem, they took a swab, put me on penicillin and sent me on my way.

The swab came back as a non-bacterial, more likely a virus. But "carry on with the antibiotics"! 2 days later I wake up with a head and body swollen with hives, turns out I have a penicillin allergy. Could have popped my clogs.

The eagerness of the medical profession to throw antibiotics at you in this country without a proper diagnosis is worrying. From what I understand it is increasing the resistance of many bacteria to these medicines...so we just all get sicker, and the pharmaceutical companies fill their pockets even more because they seem to have a nice tight clasp around your average PCPs short and curlies.

effi Oct 15th 2003 7:58 pm

Sounds like it may be allergies from the AC, blowing dust around etc. I have used everything from Claritin to you name it. The best one I found was Osco's own brand allergy relief tabs. Unfortunately this is quite common over here.

Yosser Oct 15th 2003 8:02 pm

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
We just invested in a humdifier built into the AC. That makes a difference big time, I no longer wake up in the morning with a mouth as dry as... well, you get the point.

I find that not only is illness more prevalent here, but the treatments are inappropriate...particularly the over use of antibiotics. I went to the doc last year with a throat problem, they took a swab, put me on penicillin and sent me on my way.

The swab came back as a non-bacterial, more likely a virus. But "carry on with the antibiotics"! 2 days later I wake up with a head and body swollen with hives, turns out I have a penicillin allergy. Could have popped my clogs.

The eagerness of the medical profession to throw antibiotics at you in this country without a proper diagnosis is worrying. From what I understand it is increasing the resistance of many bacteria to these medicines...so we just all get sicker, and the pharmaceutical companies fill their pockets even more because they seem to have a nice tight clasp around your average PCPs short and curlies.
Yep, I get the same thing POW, mouth as dry as a nun's crotch, I usually drink a whole class of water before bed, only to wake up with a thoat as dry as a camal bollocks and the dire need to drain the main vein.

How much was the humdifier thingy?