Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Idol - season starts

American Idol - season starts

Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:45 pm

Elsie The Maid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American Idol - season starts

Originally Posted by franc11s
OK, the sad git that I am, I admit, I am addicted to American Idol.

Anyone else watching? Or am I the only saddy on this board tonight? Actually, I think it beats anything else on American TV for the whole year but that's not really saying very much.

You have to admit, add a touch of British to any program (even Simon) and you get some watchability to American TV. Most (maybe all) successful american shows have actually come from Britain or overseas but rarely is this mentioned by the media It more often than not surprises my American colleagues when I gloat about this fact

Anyway, I have my replay/tivo set (I cannot watch with adverts) and I'm ready for a beer and a sing song!!
LOVE IT and completely addicted!! I force my hubby & son to watch it with me because trying to explain how funny all the bad singers were just doesn't do it justice! You have to see it!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I watch it with my daughter but my 14 yr old son refuses to watch it, he loved Pop Idol 5 years ago. Hubby insists he hates it but last night sat watching it with us for the full 2 hours.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:02 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
OMG!!!! I knew it was him...he was the English boss...that's why his accent threw me...he sounds wierd with a Scots accent...it is Scots isn't it?
Used to watch his show until he started seriously licking yank arse. Now his opening monologue seems to always end with how great this country is etc.
Havent heard him say a good thing about Scotland or the U.K. yet.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

yeah I think that's it...and tell me cos it's been killing me...was he the one who played the English boss on the Drew Carey show??
Yup. Has to be one of my all time fav shows.

That and 'Whose Line is it', which is as funny, if not funnier, than the Brit episodes I've seen.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:13 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I think he really thought a rugrat was a "rat"
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Can't stand American Idol or any of the reality shows. Feel the same about all the UK reality shows too (Big Brother, I'm A Celebrity etc etc) - yawn.

I do like 24 though. I'm currently about a third of the way through Season 3 on DVD - got Season 4 for Chrimbo, and trying desperately to ignore anything to do with Season 5 in case I see/hear any spoilers (except that Jack Bauer is still going of course).

There are a lot of US comedies that have been born from UK comedies, but there are also a bunch of original US comedies too (and even a few that have gone from US -> UK domestic version). The US comedies I like(d) include

Seinfeld (liked how the different plot lines would all mingle together at the end, but I think it took them a few seasons to get to that format)
Everybody Loves Raymond (only saw bits of the last 3 seasons, but liked it for the most part)
Jerry Sanders (again I've only seen a few episodes here and there but a good rip-take on the great American chat show)
Frasier (and did have a Brit-chick, with a northern accent (Lancashire?). I even got to see a taping of one show a few years back, which was a fun experience).

I like Craig Ferguson's show, so if I'm up at that time I will try to watch it. Apparently his nightly monologue is ad-libbed, rather than the pre-scripted stuff all the other chat show hosts do. So gotta like the guy for trying something different. He also did a movie a few years back about a Scottish hairdresser that comes to LA to take part in a hairdressing competition. He plays the hairdresser, so its typical fish-out-of-water stuff, but it wasn't a bad effort. Don't remember the title or too many details. Have a look on IMDB for more info.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:09 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone watch American Idol tonight?
The guy at the end, very strange looking.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:34 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

yeah I think that's it...and tell me cos it's been killing me...was he the one who played the English boss on the Drew Carey show??
No, I think that was Craig Ferguson.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:36 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
No, I think that was Craig Ferguson.
erm....that's who we were talking about
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:42 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

erm....that's who we were talking about
Sorry, didn't see that bit, thought you were still talking about Simon Cowell. Ignore me please!!!

...what, who said that?!?!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:44 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Sorry, didn't see that bit, thought you were still talking about Simon Cowell. Ignore me please!!!

...what, who said that?!?!

nah I appreciate the reply....when I saw his night show a coupla times it was just driving me nuts cos the face looked similar but the accent was WAY off
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:45 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Did anyone watch American Idol tonight?
The guy at the end, very strange looking.
What one? The guy who wasn't sure if he was a girl or a guy?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:46 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
What one? The guy who wasn't sure if he was a girl or a guy?
Yeah him/her.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:47 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Yeah him/her.
mmmmm....very strange they seem to have more weirdos this year don't you think?
Old Jan 19th 2006, 2:49 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
mmmmm....very strange they seem to have more weirdos this year don't you think?
Well you don't watch it for the singing, do you ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.