British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American Idea of a Packaged Lunch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-idea-packaged-lunch-189423/)

NC Penguin Nov 6th 2003 6:19 pm

American Idea of a Packaged Lunch

From time to time at work, we have catered lunches for lunch meetings and sometimes we get lunch boxes.

Here's a description of a typical box lunch we get delivered:

sandwich stuffed with meat, a slice of tomato, a lettuce leaf
(no butter but usually mayonnaise)
sachet of mustard (typically honey mustard)
packet of crisps/chips
Kosher dill pickle
cookie (usually 3" diameter)

All this comes with a can of fizzy drink

Is this a balanced meal? I don't think so. No surprise the diet "food" business is so big in the US. Americans don't know how to eat properly, in my opinion.

NC Penguin

PrincessofWales Nov 6th 2003 6:22 pm

Absolutely....

I've resigned to bringing a packed lunch into work everyday because I just can't keep up with the portions and expense of doing an office lunch here. Not to mention the snooze effect afterwards.

Give me a cucumber sandwich anyday.

Pimpbot Nov 6th 2003 6:50 pm

I've just started packing my wife a lunch for work(I feel so much like my mum! LOL) And I was a little shocked that she didnt want her sandwich buttered. All I pack her up for work, is one cheese, ham and lettuce sandwich, with no mayo, butter or anything else and one small lunch box type packet of pringles.

What NC Penguin describes, sounds like the lunch pack I picked up recently in Oakland airport.

PrincessofWales Nov 6th 2003 7:09 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I've just started packing my wife a lunch for work(I feel so much like my mum! LOL) And I was a little shocked that she didnt want her sandwich buttered. All I pack her up for work, is one cheese, ham and lettuce sandwich, with no mayo, butter or anything else and one small lunch box type packet of pringles.

What NC Penguin describes, sounds like the lunch pack I picked up recently in Oakland airport.
that is so sweet...how'd she twist your finger to do that for her.

My boyfriend toasts me a bagel for breakfast...and that's pretty much the extent of it...apart from that true territory of the male species...the Weber!

Yosser Nov 6th 2003 7:30 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot

Its the same in my family too. I make all the pack lunches everynight execpt my wifes, she doesn't believe in them, she would rather spend $6 on some crap from Quizno's (frigging awful food).

My son has 2 dry pieces of bread with turkey meat slapped in the middle, will not take butter, he has 1 x capri-sun drink 2 reese peanut butter snacks, apple and maybe some chips (no other flavour than cheese though???). and that is a HUGE improvement from what he was eating.

I love taking the time getting a nice fresh french stick, generous helping of butter, several slices of chicken breast, cucumber, lettuce, onion, tom and a sprinkerling of salt n pepper, maybe have a few chips on the side, its taste delicous. Everyone else in my office eats Tex-mex, burgers and fries everyday then they bitch about putting weight on???? well duh!

Pimpbot Nov 6th 2003 7:36 pm

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
that is so sweet...how'd she twist your finger to do that for her.
I offered :D. She's up at 3.30am every morning and didnt eat anything until she came home from work sometime after 5 pm. I thought it would be the husbandy thing to do, seeing that I sit around the house all day :D

Jan Alaska Nov 6th 2003 7:42 pm

ditto NCpenguin

Either we get the mega meaty sammies (why so much meat i dunno) or we get Wendys, McD's etc etc

Still havent worked out what to do with the strange dill thingie :\

Jan ;)

Jxab12 Nov 6th 2003 8:06 pm

I'm convinced we have the best deli in the North East in our village - and they will (if pressed and under extreme duress) reduce portion sizes for you! Roast Beef to die for........

NC Penguin Nov 6th 2003 8:49 pm

Originally posted by Jxab12
I'm convinced we have the best deli in the North East in our village - and they will (if pressed and under extreme duress) reduce portion sizes for you! Roast Beef to die for........
As far as I'm concerned, there's no point have great sandwich fillings when the bread is so fxxking limp that anything remotely damp will make the sandwich fall apart.

Does this deli's bread pass the "not limp" test?

As you can tell, I'm passionate about food.

NC Penguin

Jxab12 Nov 7th 2003 2:34 pm

The Rye bread and the 'health bread (basically a ton of seeds to hold it together) pass the test, but the rolls definately do not.

Pulaski Nov 8th 2003 1:07 am

Re: American Idea of a Packaged Lunch

Originally posted by NC Penguin
From time to time at work, we have catered lunches for lunch meetings and sometimes we get lunch boxes.

Here's a description of a typical box lunch we get delivered:

sandwich stuffed with meat, a slice of tomato, a lettuce leaf
(no butter but usually mayonnaise)
sachet of mustard (typically honey mustard)
packet of crisps/chips
Kosher dill pickle
cookie (usually 3" diameter)

All this comes with a can of fizzy drink

Is this a balanced meal? I don't think so. No surprise the diet "food" business is so big in the US. Americans don't know how to eat properly, in my opinion.
Sounds good to me. :D .... and whilst definitely different, broadly equivalent to what I'd have for lunch in the UK - sandwich, chips, soda, and cookie (though larger than your miserable 3" one). The pickle is a welcome addition!

NC Penguin Nov 8th 2003 8:52 pm

Re: American Idea of a Packaged Lunch

Originally posted by Pulaski
Sounds good to me. :D .... and whilst definitely different, broadly equivalent to what I'd have for lunch in the UK - sandwich, chips, soda, and cookie (though larger than your miserable 3" one). The pickle is a welocme addition!
re: your cookie. Don't get into the American mentality of thinking "bigger the better"!:D

NC Penguin

Jon1905 Nov 9th 2003 1:19 pm

Originally posted by Yosser she would rather spend $6 on some crap from Quizno's (frigging awful food).
Send the Quizno's this way then.. I was down south for a while and wished that I had one up here in NH..

~ Jon

BrigieDarling Nov 9th 2003 3:25 pm

I wish my kids would take a packed lunch to school!

I have even packed hotdogs in a thermos for Todd... Put chili in and packed a roll. Now that's a delicous lunch!