Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Humour

American Humour

Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American Humour

Is there really much difference between British and American humour?
I haven't found much difference so far, although I haven't been here that long. I think Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall are both great, and would probably do well in Britain if the local aspects of their jokes were adjusted.
Bill Hicks (RIP) was brilliant too - died much too soon. Bill Maher is another favourite of mine.

As far as ordinary folk go - well, my husband's immediate family all share a very British type sense of humour - rave about Monty Python, Fawlty Towers etc. I suppose it's not possible to generalise, but I suspect that we are all getting closer in humour styles nowadays, thanks to the internet, satellite TV etc. How do others think on this?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Humour

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I haven't found much difference so far, although I haven't been here that long. I think Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall are both great, and would probably do well in Britain if the local aspects of their jokes were adjusted.
Bill Hicks (RIP) was brilliant too - died much too soon. Bill Maher is another favourite of mine.

As far as ordinary folk go - well, my husband's immediate family all share a very British type sense of humour - rave about Monty Python, Fawlty Towers etc. I suppose it's not possible to generalise, but I suspect that we are all getting closer in humour styles nowadays, thanks to the internet, satellite TV etc. How do others think on this?
American Comedy for the most part is utter shite.

British Comedy is ok to a certain extent.
I mean I don't think the Office is all that great, personally. It wouldn't have been much more than a couple of sketches on Monty Python, but Gervais was able to stretch it to 2 series worth.

Phoenix Nights is fantastic, but I think most Americans just wouldn't get it.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc

I mean I don't think the Office is all that great, personally. It wouldn't have been much more than a couple of sketches on Monty Python, but Gervais was able to stretch it to 2 series worth.

Hmmm. I didn't see many episodes of The Office, but I wasn't too impressed.
I think Phoenix Nights would be too localised to tra vel over the Atlantic.
But if you look past the local to the essence of the humour I reckon it has much the same flavour as Jeff Foxworthy and his redneck jokes.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Phoenix nights and Max & Paddy are superb comic creations, I am getting videos off Amazon as the Memsahib wonders why I rave about them.

As for his beer ads, now they SHOULD be shown here, the one we saw last December had him as a dj at a wedding playing a song for the Bride from her father, cue "Annie I'm not your Daddy" as Kay says, " What I thought everyone knew ?"
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I cant agree with you, Humour what f**king humour, most of it is Sooooo tame.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I quite liked the blue collar comedy tour as a one off. However it soon got old with the Blue Collar TV.
I think it is very sad that being a redneck is fashionable.

Git R Done.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of comedy is funny here, but post of the tv series like friends or whatever just weren't very good or funny, too much in your face to smack the punchline...nothing subtle, hardly any irony or sarcasm....
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:16 pm
Sarah's Hubby

jjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to all

I thought The Office was great. However, I think Gervais had great sense to go out while on top. The show couldn't have continued to be as good.

I find Phoenix Nights quite funny and easy to understand. I think the only difference between American and British comedy is what the humor is based on. Of course it will be different due to the different experiences of each culture.

BTW - I think Foxworthy and Redneck hick humor is total trash. I'm embarrased that such retarded crap is popular.

Last edited by jjw152; Apr 26th 2005 at 7:19 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, up until recently I thought Friends was crap. But I've been watching a few of the re runs recently and I now see why it lasted so long. It was imo brilliantly written and something the spin off show Joey, has tough time matching.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

On Radio 7's comedy hour they are repeating King Cutler, Phyllis King & Ivor Cutler..Sadly both Scots comics are King Awful.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

I think Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall are both great
Well, then you are disqualified from playing at all.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:15 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

My other half loves Little Britain and The Office....haven't tried sitting him in front of Phoenix Nights yet. I'm a northern lass so it might be scary for him to watch it having just had my parents out for a visit!

I like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Scrubs .....more the dry humour than the Friends/Joey stuff (puke). Saw Wanda Sykes and also Lewis Black doing standup in Boston recently and pissed my sides at both. Other half loves Eddie Izzard.

Can't for the life of my understand what people find so funny about Everybody Loves Raymond (utter crap) but thankfully he can't stand it either!

I have lost a lot of my sarcasm here having had to tone it down....if you don't say "just kidding" at the end people tend to take me seriously.....that was an interesting learning curve when I got here!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Texas Brit
Well, then you are disqualified from playing at all.
Shucks !!! And it's the first positive thing I've found to say about life in the USA !
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

For every Office, there is a (insert name of the comedian in father Ted who played a super hero in a sitcom)

And for every That 70s show, there is a Larry Sanders on HBO.

My point being, there is crap and great on both side of the Atlantic
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
For every Office, there is a (insert name of the comedian in father Ted who played a super hero in a sitcom)

And for every That 70s show, there is a Larry Sanders on HBO.

My point being, there is crap and great on both side of the Atlantic
I reckon that's about right, Pimpbot. Humour is such a personal thing anyway, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.