Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American hubby, British nurse ... How do we get to USA

American hubby, British nurse ... How do we get to USA

Old Sep 27th 2018, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Emslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really nice
Default American hubby, British nurse ... How do we get to USA

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. My name is Emma I'm a registered UK nurse qualified September 2010. I had 7 years post qualification with young adults with learning disabilities (age 16 -25) and mental health problems. I have been working since April this year in an acute trauma surgical orthopaedic ward and I will be starting gynae ward soon. My husband was born is the USA he has US connections aunties and uncles. We both want to move over with our two girls. (To Wisconsin)
He doesn't have a problem as he is american , our girls have dual nationality, he is able to move over and stay with his uncle until he sorts out car, rental etc.
I have read that it will be difficult for me to move and work as a nurse with all the exams etc plus I know I have no theory in maternity and paeds and obstetrics. I don't mind going over and not working as a nurse as long as I can get a well paid job doing something!! Any ideas what to do ? If I do go over as a nurse which is ideal what the heck do I have to do to obtain that theory and practice in those fields I am missing??
thanks so much in advance 😘
Old Sep 27th 2018, 9:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American hubby, British nurse ... How do we get to USA

You can move easily. You both live in the UK so he can file for you directly with the US Embassy in London (DCF) for the Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1) From start to finish will take about 3-6 months. Suggest you post questions regarding this in the US marriage-based visa forum.

You will need pass the appropriate nursing tests in order to work in the US as a nurse. You can research the qualifications and what you need to do online.

BTW welcome to BE.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Emslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really niceEmslou is just really nice

Thank you! I wasn't sure where to direct questions as being new. Just find the nursing side hard work at the moment as I know I don't have what I need to register over there xxxx
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need to pass the NCLEX and see if your state requires more to licence.

You may need to go back to school to get the prerequisites for NCLEX.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Migration is easy as others have noted.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 12:59 am
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Also heads up, American's don't use the xxxxx at the end of texts or messages, and to be honest i'd gratefully forgotten it was a thing.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The other option may be to get a job with a healthcare company and you may get discounted tuition to further your nursing career. Nurses in the US are well paid.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Without theory and clinical hours you will not get eligibility to sit NCLEX. Will need to find local nursing schools that allow you to go as a guest student for those hours and that tends to be the hard one to do.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 1:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought XXXX was a replacacement for the f word? Bypassing the language filter?

Or Australian beer.
Old Sep 28th 2018, 3:55 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, it's like kisses at the end of text messages...
Old Sep 28th 2018, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all of your comments, I apologise if I offended anyone by putting the XXX at the end of my message, I do it without even thinking , yes it seems to be a British thing I do it in my head it's out of politeness as in 'much love'
Old Sep 28th 2018, 5:58 pm
KCMO

You didn’t offend, just wanted to let you know it would confuse people out here!
Old Sep 28th 2018, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Also heads up, American's don't use the xxxxx at the end of texts or messages, and to be honest i'd gratefully forgotten it was a thing.
I apologise , I didn't mean to offend anyone I do it without even thinking 🙈
Old Sep 28th 2018, 6:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emslou
I apologise , I didn't mean to offend anyone I do it without even thinking 🙈
You didn’t offend, and a nice thing about the US is you can live your way without having to take notice of people telling you want you can and can’t do xxxx
Old Sep 28th 2018, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury

You didn’t offend, and a nice thing about the US is you can live your way without having to take notice of people telling you want you can and can’t do xxxx
Murica.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.