Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American History?

American History?

Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:07 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American History?

Any Brits remember being taught about the American revolution in British schools? I don't, seemed to go from the Tudors to the Industrial revolution, Nelson & Waterloo as far as I remember. Surely that is part of British history? Could it be that the respective countries ( US & UK) want to teach you about the parts of history that they were victorious in
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:12 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Any Brits remember being taught about the American revolution in British schools? I don't, seemed to go from the Tudors to the Industrial revolution, Nelson & Waterloo as far as I remember. Surely that is part of British history? Could it be that the respective countries ( US & UK) want to teach you about the parts of history that they were victorious in
It does make you wonder what they teach in French schools...
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zargof
Why do you think they hate the British so much!!!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:15 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
Why do you think they hate the British so much!!!
I don't know, but I'm sure you're going to tell me...
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:18 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bunnii
Before I go to an american school, I need to learn a little bit of american history since...thats what they mostly study in History. Could someone possible tell me some important dates? I'm going to make a timeline to remind me of it but I don't know the first thing. I'll study into the subjects but I have to know the subjects fist

Thanks everyone in Advance!
Depends how involved you want to get. Here is a great series on the US equivalent to the BBC ( PBS) which has a great show called ' The American Experience'

http://www.pbs.org/search/search_pro...rogramsaz.html

Of course American history isn't as long and varied as British, but still some pretty interesting people, events and inventions apart from just the founding fathers and the revoultion.
Donner Pass
Jazz
New York
The Civil War
Edison
Standard Oil
Mark Twain
The Manhattan project
Civil Rights Movement - Eyes on the prize
The Hoover Dam
Great Depression
The Space Program
The Wright Bros.

Just to name a few of the top of my head

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Apr 28th 2008 at 6:37 pm.
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
Oh, I'm sorry let me get this right, its ok for you to make a sarcastic attack on me but when I try to make a light hearted response you try to insult my credibility..I could have attacked your poor grammar, but no - I put it down to you just looking to pick a fight...make your mind up which is it to be?
You have to excuse my poor grammar, I'm a product of the English education system.

Before you make 'time of the month' comments to someone you would do well to first determine the sex of the person.
BE Enthusiast

wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

I don't know, but I'm sure you're going to tell me...

what was your question re: French schools?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:19 pm
Banned

Lesson 1.1 The art of surrender
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by surly
You have to excuse my poor grammar, I'm a product of the English education system.

Before you make 'time of the month' comments to someone you would do well to first determine the sex of the person.
Ok I apologize for assuming, what sex are you?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:26 pm
I love my brick!

Lesson 1.2 The correct construction of a white flag
Lesson 2 Learning to live with an occupying force
Lesson 3 At least we're not Belgian
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesson 1.2 The correct construction of a white flag
Lesson 2 Learning to live with an occupying force
Lesson 3 At least we're not Belgian
Lesson 4 Design tanks with one forward gear and 4 reverse!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:30 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how involved you want to get. Here is a great series on the US equivalent to the BBC ( PBS) which has a great show called ' The American Experience'

http://www.pbs.org/search/search_pro...rogramsaz.html

Of course American history isn't as long and varied as British, but still some pretty interesting people, events and inventions apart from just the founding fathers and the revoultion.
Donner Pass
Jazz
New York
The Civil War
Edison
Standard Oil
Mark Twain
The Manhattan project
Civil Rights Movement - Eyes on the prize
The Hoover Dam
Great Depression
The Space Program
The Orville Bros.

Just to name a few of the top of my head
Orville Bros? Wright Bros maybe?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thydney
I think your missing one very important name on that list... HOOTERS
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Thydney
No they invented puppetry and ventriloquism

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.