Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American History?

American History?

Old Apr 26th 2008, 8:58 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American History?

March 23, 1984

Ratt releases "Out of the Cellar":

Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:07 pm
Banned

The Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant futureThe Bard of Wigan has a brilliant future

American history?

Surely that's a contradiction in terms.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bard of Wigan
American history?

Hi:

Comment well taken. History is a record of the past. However, there is a dispute of what constitutes the cut-off between history and current events. The idea is how far back you have to go so as to have an objective viewpoint.

My undergraduate program required an original paper with original research from "primary sources." In 1971, my paper was to be on an item of California History. A cut-off of 1900 was imposed. I got special permission to do a study of the background of the California Alien Land Act of 1909. The historical background went back over 20 years. So I was allowed to do it.

At that time, World War I was just beginning to be considered "history", but World War II was not. Now World War II is considered to be "history" but Vietnam is still too recent.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:50 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

American history?

I bet you've had pies older than that
Old Apr 27th 2008, 12:23 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I bet you've had pies older than that
some big porky pies too!!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

American history?

I was going to post exactly the same thing! LOL. They don't have any history. Most of their history happened '5 mins' ago relatively speaking.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a play last night that discussed the issues of Africans being brought here as slaves. This is a part of US history that I don't see being explored very much and when it is, it is done in superficial ways. I think it is tragic the way that Native Americans and African Americans were treated.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:21 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

While the Native American population's worst treatment started in the nineteenth century, well after the United States became a country, I suppose you could say that their problems as a whole started with the European immigration here in the first place.

I believe slavery to be wrong and something that should never have been introduced to these shores, but I would like to point out that when slavery was introduced here it was some 150 odd years before we were flying the Stars and Stripes.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cindyabs
While the Native American population's worst treatment started in the nineteenth century, well after the United States became a country, I suppose you could say that their problems as a whole started with the European immigration here in the first place.

I believe slavery to be wrong and something that should never have been introduced to these shores, but I would like to point out that when slavery was introduced here it was some 150 odd years before we were flying the Stars and Stripes.

I really need to research more about both these issues. I am not well versed as to what happened and when it happened. It is just terrible that African Americans and Native Americans have suffered so much.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:27 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it was terrible the supply of debtors and criminals
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I really need to research more about both these issues. I am not well versed as to what happened and when it happened. It is just terrible that African Americans and Native Americans have suffered so much.
I agree, but I do get tired of the patronizing attitude from non Americans about the US having no history so to speak in terms of millennia or shameful incidents such as slavery and the destruction of the Native American way of life as something Americans invented.

This is something I do NOT have a sense of humor about.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree, but I do get tired of the patronizing attitude from non Americans about the US having no history so to speak in terms of millennia or shameful incidents such as slavery and the destruction of the Native American way of life as something Americans invented.

and nor do I.You are on a British forum, hence the 'non American' view point. While the modern day US did not 'invent' slavery or the destruction of the Native American way of life, it perpetuates it daily.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:40 am
Not dead yet

I think it's the fact you honed it to perfection that sticks it out
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:42 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by simongb
and nor do I.You are on a British forum, hence the 'non American' view point. While the modern day US did not 'invent' slavery or the destruction of the Native American way of life, it perpetuates it daily.
I am well aware of that, I'm married to a Brit and most of the time I am an Anglophile. Your reply to my earlier post freely and reasonably admitted that you did need to research what you had based your opinions on. Unfortunately after that, it was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. My ire was not meant to be totally directed at you, but rather was a build up from some other of the posts.

I would ask though, in what way we are currently perpetuating slavery here?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 2:43 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Thydney
I think it's the fact you honed it to perfection that sticks it out
Must have been the previous inspiration and practice we observed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.