Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American gal....for now?

American gal....for now?

Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American gal....for now?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
And here he is
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commoner
Please allow me to clarify. I wasn't trying to imply up north was a bad area in which to live. Personally I'd love to live in Cornwall (knowing Corny isn't up north but it isn't the southeast), and we'd do it if husband's job had the same earning power as down south.

In many instances you can't earn in Leeds what you can earn in London.
The difference though is that Cornwall is not really a hive of industry , whereas the large Northern cities are. True, many of them became very depressed for a while but now Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds are having a huge resurgance.
It depends what you do but big salaries are not rare in the North. But even if you do earn a smaller salary you are more likely to have cash left over if you live away from the SE.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:38 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
HN is not good enough for Sheffield.

Yep I love Yorkshire and Cheshire and the people.
I'm getting homesick now
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
The difference though is that Cornwall is not really a hive of industry , whereas the large Northern cities are. True, many of them became very depressed for a while but now Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds are having a huge resurgance.
It depends what you do but big salaries are not rare in the North. But even if you do earn a smaller salary you are more likely to have cash left over if you live away from the SE.
My husband did just fine salary wise...working out of the 'Pool then Manchester.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting homesick now
I forgot to mention the cheese.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Well when we find a comparable salary up north and pack our bags, I'll crow about it here!

My husband searches once a month on monster and other job sites, and has yet to find a job with better pay and benefits. I don't think I can convince him to move too far up north though.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:56 pm
Who?

Well when we find a comparable salary up north and pack our bags, I'll crow about it here!

My husband searches once a month on monster and other job sites, and has yet to find a job with better pay and benefits. I don't think I can convince him to move too far up north though.
Good Luck. It depends what you do, some jobs are more SE centred.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:59 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I forgot to mention the cheese.
We had a lovely cheese shop on our High Street. Now I have to travel miles and pay a fortune

And the tea...why so much 'erbal muck! I want to see row upon row of Typhoo, PG Tips, Tetley and all the rest.

Time for the darkened room.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

But depending on what your husband's specialty actually is, the good wage jobs aren't all over.

My husband is a Group IT Manager for 10 different companies, and he makes £55k and a company car. If we could get the same wage and move up norf where living is cheaper, we'd do it in a heartbeat.

£55k is about double the national average in terms of wages. A huge percentage of people here (us included) rent our property, as we're not financially able to get a mortgage.

Another aspect to think about is your toddler. Many of the little villages middle to up north do not contain a young population. We're I live, there's plenty of playgroups, nice parks and various activities to keep you and your child entertained.

Finally, I'm assuming you have a support system of older relatives when it come to taking care of your toddler in Arizona. My marriage is strong, but we have no outside family support over here. And being with a small child 24/7 without any opportunities to drop her off to grandma's for the weekend? It's difficult and can be isolating.

Your responses to me have appeared to be a little hostile. I read this forum as I'd like to go back to the US one day, and I like to read about some of the trials and tribulations my husband may experience when living in the US.

My responses to you aren't meant to discourage you, but to give you information regarding the reality of living in the UK. It doesn't do any good to live next to Europe if you can't afford to travel there because you're living in York bringing in £23K per year and you're dishing out nearly $1000US a month for child care so you can work at Tesco.

My responses are a bit hostile? Are you serious? WOW. Anyway if I come across a bit annoyed at you it's because it seems you are assuming WAY too much about me or our situation and don't seem to be reading what I have said so far in this post. I will say it again...we are willing to take jobs that pay a little less in the north. We are both educated and have full training in our jobs so to be honest I would not be willing to move to the UK if I could only work at "tesco". If that was the case then we wouldn't move there. $1000 a month (US) childcare is close to what we pay now. You said you "assume" I have a large support system in Arizona...NOPE. My parents live two hours away and both work so there is no "dropping our child off at grandma's"...don't have that luxury. We have no other relatives close by...my relatives all live in New York and New Jersey. We are use to taking care of ourselves without any help at all...married 7 years and both work full-time with a son in daycare.

By the way we also plan to have at least a condo/townhome here in AZ that we can keep and rent out if we choose to move to the UK..then we always have property here.

You say you want to come back to the US..and I will say that's great. At this point I am not going to say anything else since I am already perceived as hostile.

Colette

Last edited by rookins26; Aug 9th 2007 at 3:26 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Good luck with the search. I wish more US folk would try living in a different country, even if it is for a couple of years

I appreciate it! We are going to do a lot of research first and take it slow. I know a lot of folks here in the US that think this is all there is to the world..guess I just don't want to be like that and it would be good for our son to see what else is out there.

Colette
Old Aug 9th 2007, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rookins26

Colette
pls check your PM's
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rookins26
My responses are a bit hostile? Are you serious? WOW. Anyway if I come across a bit annoyed at you it's because it seems you are assuming WAY too much about me or our situation and don't seem to be reading what I have said so far in this post. I will say it again...we are willing to take jobs that pay a little less in the north. We are both educated and have full training in our jobs so to be honest I would not be willing to move to the UK if I could only work at "tesco". If that was the case then we wouldn't move there. $1000 a month (US) childcare is close to what we pay now. You said you "assume" I have a large support system in Arizona...NOPE. My parents live two hours away and both work so there is no "dropping our child off at grandma's"...don't have that luxury. We have no other relatives close by...my relatives all live in New York and New Jersey. We are use to taking care of ourselves without any help at all...married 7 years and both work full-time with a son in daycare.

By the way we also plan to have at least a condo/townhome here in AZ that we can keep and rent out if we choose to move to the UK..then we always have property here.

You say you want to come back to the US..and I will say that's great. At this point I am not going to say anything else since I am already perceived as hostile.

Colette
I read your inital post with great interest, Colette. After you curtly replying you didn't want to live in the London, when I didn't mention London in the first place, I think you are the one who isn't reading carefully.

I'll bow out now. Good luck to you and your 'tude.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

We live 20 miles south of London in Crawley, West Sussex. Currently we're living in a 600 sq ft, two bedroom flat and our monthly rent is £750.

Most of the three bedroom houses in our area cost £900 to £1100 to rent per month.

The third bedroom in many of the houses is a "box room". A box room doesn't have any windows and is about the size of an American walk in closet. Most people I know who have such a room use it for storage only.
20 miles south of London...hmm isn't that the vicinity of London? I know anywhere I have lived that if you live 20 miles from a major city you live in the metro area. Our friends over there live about 15-20 mi outside London and they consider it London. So....I didn't have an attitude when I said that we are not looking at or NEAR London I was just setting the record straight that was all..since you were quick to throw out prices.

I don't think I am the one with the "tude" for clarifying things Do you go on boards and pick fights, make assumptions, and then call others hostile?? Yikes...

Colette
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

I read your inital post with great interest, Colette. After you curtly replying you didn't want to live in the London, when I didn't mention London in the first place, I think you are the one who isn't reading carefully.

I'll bow out now. Good luck to you and your 'tude.
And you DID mention London...see your original post to me
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:22 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Umm!!! Crawley is about 30 miles from Central London
its close to Gatwick Airport

You have to pass the thru the county of Surrey
to get to Crawley Sussex ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.