Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American gal....for now?

American gal....for now?

Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of
Default Re: American gal....for now?

Originally Posted by Sally
I would say £55,000 is good depending on the line of work.

Britain is becoming more consumerist though so don't expect Miss Marple country!
I don't assume consumerism is dead there so don't get me wrong. But here in Arizona it is out of control in many ways! I am a native of Arizona so I have seen the changes since I was little. Everything is who has the bigger house, bigger more elaborate pool with water feature, Hummer SUV or Cadillac Escilade...etc. It is hard to compete with and if you choose not to you are somehow out of the loop..which is fine but it is nice to meet more folks who are not as materialistic. I will say when we lived outside Seattle WA we noticed people were more frugal and not as flashy as AZ so that was nice to see...so I know not all states are like this.

Colette
Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:46 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
north of what?
reg. frank r
Nothing. There is no North. Don't go North of Watford, you'll fall off the edge. Forget we ever mentioned the North. I don't even know what the word means.

Whew, fellow Northerners...I think we're safe.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rookins26
I don't assume consumerism is dead there so don't get me wrong. But here in Arizona it is out of control in many ways! I am a native of Arizona so I have seen the changes since I was little. Everything is who has the bigger house, bigger more elaborate pool with water feature, Hummer SUV or Cadillac Escilade...etc. It is hard to compete with and if you choose not to you are somehow out of the loop..which is fine but it is nice to meet more folks who are not as materialistic. I will say when we lived outside Seattle WA we noticed people were more frugal and not as flashy as AZ so that was nice to see...so I know not all states are like this.

Colette

that is something i noticed as soon as i got here how materialistic the peeps are ....talk about keeping up with the joneses
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
that is something i noticed as soon as i got here how materialistic the peeps are ....talk about keeping up with the joneses
Yes let's see...pay through the nose for a great big f**k off Truck at $30.000 and rent an apartment, yes that makes sense
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

rookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud ofrookins26 has much to be proud of

I know it is sad since there is so much more to life....I think so anyway. It is good to have nice things of course but to go over the top is ridiculous. You can't take all your crap with you in a U-Haul when you die all you have in the end is the legacy you left.

Colette
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

I know it is sad since there is so much more to life....I think so anyway. It is good to have nice things of course but to go over the top is ridiculous. You can't take all your crap with you in a U-Haul when you die all you have in the end is the legacy you left.

Colette
tbh my usc OH noticed that when he lived in the uk and then moved back here. i never have mixed with pretentious people, can't stand them.

good luck with the move

Last edited by TruBrit; Aug 8th 2007 at 7:33 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

tbh my usc OH noticed that when he lived in the uk and then moved back here. i never have mixed with pretentious people, can't stand them.

good luck with the move
Not liking Huston?? Can I ask why? I haven't been there myself but I am not in a hurry to move to the Land of Mr. Bush I guess.

Colette
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Not liking Huston?? Can I ask why? I haven't been there myself but I am not in a hurry to move to the Land of Mr. Bush I guess.

Colette

how long have you got

'the armpit of hell' known as houston should say it all! the best thing about it are the roads leading out or in my case the airport
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

how long have you got

'the armpit of hell' known as houston should say it all! the best thing about it are the roads leading out or in my case the airport
Aww I am sorry to hear that it sucks. Somedays I feel the same way about Phoenix when it is 115 degrees and you cannot go outside at all and actually be comfortable. It is just not for me I guess. So are you moving back to the UK? If so where?

Colette
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

Aww I am sorry to hear that it sucks. Somedays I feel the same way about Phoenix when it is 115 degrees and you cannot go outside at all and actually be comfortable. It is just not for me I guess. So are you moving back to the UK? If so where?

Colette
yes plans in the offing to move back home thank god. we have a place in surrey, a lovely county for the most part. our village is in a pretty area with lots of green belt and just 40 mins by train to waterloo and 3hrs to paris...wonderbar, brill location
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

yes plans in the offing to move back home thank god. we have a place in surrey, a lovely county for the most part. our village is in a pretty area with lots of green belt and just 40 mins by train to waterloo and 3hrs to paris...wonderbar, brill location
That's the thing I think I would love about living over there...how close you are to Europe. Here in the US you are isolated from that world and I am so bummed that I haven't been able to go over there all this time. Though I have been to almost every state in the US and traveled to Canada I know there is still SO MUCH more out there. You lucky duck you...

Colette
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have not made a comment in this thread before ...
so I wont bother now !!!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

commoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud ofcommoner has much to be proud of

See I figured that was like making $100,000+ a year here in the US which is GREAT...but when I spoke to our friends over there they suggested not looking at wages or prices that way....so if you make 55,000 pounds a year and your rent is 1000 pounds a month ..etc..that's it don't look at it as "oh that's $100,000 and $2000/month US money. Does that make sense? I guess they meant try not to compare because whatever the cost is there won't matter in regards to US money because you are not living in the US!

Colette
We live 20 miles south of London in Crawley, West Sussex. Currently we're living in a 600 sq ft, two bedroom flat and our monthly rent is £750.

Most of the three bedroom houses in our area cost £900 to £1100 to rent per month.

The third bedroom in many of the houses is a "box room". A box room doesn't have any windows and is about the size of an American walk in closet. Most people I know who have such a room use it for storage only.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:16 pm
Account Closed

That's the thing I think I would love about living over there...how close you are to Europe. Here in the US you are isolated from that world and I am so bummed that I haven't been able to go over there all this time. Though I have been to almost every state in the US and traveled to Canada I know there is still SO MUCH more out there. You lucky duck you...

Colette
the strange thing is i never felt isolated living in england on an island however here in houston you are miles from civilization

and thank you yes, i am very lucky..some karma on it's way and looks like it'll be your first...cheers
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:07 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commoner

The third bedroom in many of the houses is a "box room". A box room doesn't have any windows and is about the size of an American walk in closet. Most people I know who have such a room use it for storage only.
I'll agree with you on the size of an average box room, it is pretty much like a walk in closet. But no windows?? Bedrooms always have windows, no matter what size they are. Never, ever seen a 'box room' with no windows. It is supposed to be a bedroom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.