British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   American football, anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-football-anyone-243148/)

tinaflorida Jul 19th 2004 9:34 pm

American football, anyone?

Has anyone here been bitten by the NFL bug like I have? Or college football?

Living in a big football town has definitely had an affect on me - I am definitely on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers bandwagon and have been since about 2000!

However, as much as I like the American variety, proper footie (soccer) will always be my favourite sport to watch!

edwords Jul 19th 2004 10:21 pm

Re: American football, anyone?

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by tinaflorida
Has anyone here been bitten by the NFL bug like I have? Or college football?

Living in a big football town has definitely had an affect on me - I am definitely on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers bandwagon and have been since about 2000!

However, as much as I like the American variety, proper footie (soccer) will always be my favourite sport to watch!
It's baseball season!

Patrick Jul 19th 2004 10:49 pm

Huge NFL and Baseball fan! Cant get into Basketball or NASCAR though, even though they are the national sports of NC.

Go Pats!

Manc Jul 19th 2004 11:14 pm

Red Wings/Pistons/Tigers/Lions.........

at least 1 of the 4 teams I follow ain't bad.

DaveC Jul 20th 2004 1:50 am

Has anyone here been bitten by the NFL bug like I have?
Certainly have been, after attending my first NFL game last year, Cowboys v Redskins. Awesome atmosphere.

I do like rounders too, wow 'bout them Texas Rangers? 2.5 games ahead in AL West!

Pimpbot Jul 20th 2004 5:22 am

LOL two years ago people would have laughed at you for claiming Tampa was a football town. The Bucs were always the pits of the NFL. Its amazing what a superbowl win will do for a franchise. In case you didnt know. The Bucs owner(Glazer) now also owns a big chunk of Man UTD.

I'm a Redskins fan and have been since 1982. Of course, I live in the other pits of a football town having to watch Cardinals games. However, Dennis Green should start turning the thing around soon I believe, plus we have a nice looking stadium being built for 2006. Looks like I'm going to watch the super bowl champs (Patriots) in week 2 when they come to town.

tinaflorida Jul 20th 2004 1:59 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
LOL two years ago people would have laughed at you for claiming Tampa was a football town.
I'd have to disagree with that one. The Bucs have been huge here since I moved here in '99. Obviously the level of support went a huge step further with the '02 Superbowl win. It's probably because the Bucs were the best team Tampa had for any sport (except the AFL's Storm, but Arena football's never been that popular). Now we've got the Stanley Cup winners the Lightning as well. Too bad that the Devil Rays are still a load of pants... I'm not a baseball fan anyway. :D

And yeah, I knew about Glazer owning part of ManUre. Doesn't Steinbrenner have a stake in them as well?

Manc Jul 20th 2004 2:04 pm

I'd have to disagree with that one. The Bucs have been huge here since I moved here in '99. Obviously the level of support went a huge step further with the '02 Superbowl win.
The Bucs couldn't buy a win in the late 80's didn't they go 0-16 one year?

Now we've got the Stanley Cup winners the Lightning as well.
One season wonders doesn't make a franchise. And there looks to be no hockey next year anyhow..........
When Lecavalier and St Louis's contracts run out they'll go to one of the major bankroll teams like Colorado/Detroit/Toronto/LA/Boston
I hasten to add with a big blech, but also the NY Rangers.

ironporer Jul 20th 2004 2:19 pm

Originally posted by manc1976

0-14 first year ('76), then lost first 12 of the following year. 0-16, all time record. The 2003 Tigers may even have been able to beat them it is rumoured.:)

Manc Jul 20th 2004 2:21 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
0-14 first year ('76), then lost first 12 of the following year. 0-16, all time record. The 2003 Tigers may even have been able to beat them it is rumoured.:)
Doubt it.

I went to watch the Tigers a few times last year (tickets were not hard to come by.........)

by god they were poor.

tinaflorida Jul 20th 2004 2:21 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
Agreed, they were a pile of shite in the 80s, but it was in 1976 that thy went 0-14. However, the person that made the original comment was talking about two years ago.

One season wonders doesn't make a franchise. And there looks to be no hockey next year anyhow..........
The Bolts had a decent playoff run last year, so they're starting to get the ball rolling on having a good run.

When Lecavalier and St Louis's contracts run out they'll go to one of the major bankroll teams like Colorado/Detroit/Toronto/LA/Boston
I hasten to add with a big blech, but also the NY Rangers.
Quite possibly, but we will see! There are plenty of younger players on the team that will have the invaluable experience of playing with the likes of St Louis and Lecavalier - hopefully at least if that strike doesn't mess things up!

Oggie Oi! Jul 20th 2004 3:35 pm

I'd have to disagree with that one. The Bucs have been huge here since I moved here in '99. Obviously the level of support went a huge step further with the '02 Superbowl win. It's probably because the Bucs were the best team Tampa had for any sport (except the AFL's Storm, but Arena football's never been that popular). Now we've got the Stanley Cup winners the Lightning as well. Too bad that the Devil Rays are still a load of pants... I'm not a baseball fan anyway. :D

And yeah, I knew about Glazer owning part of ManUre. Doesn't Steinbrenner have a stake in them as well?
At least the Bucs finally got some manly uniforms. The old day-glo orange kit with a swishy pirate logo was not exactly intimidating.

The rumour is that Glazer is going to try to buy all of Man U.

I myself have grown to love American football and have become a bit of a fantasy geek during the season. I started playing just to be social, but it is very addictive once you understand the sport. So many stats.

g1ant Jul 20th 2004 4:00 pm

I suppose given my forum name I should support the NY Giants, but I'm a 49ers fan through and through.

The 49ers and Leeds United. WTF did I do wrong?? :scared:

tinaflorida Jul 20th 2004 4:58 pm

Leeds? I'm sorry! :D :p

Didn't they get relegated last season?

Tone Jul 20th 2004 5:26 pm

I like the story of the 1st Buc's coach McKay, when asked a question on the execution of the Bucs offense replied "I think it's a good idea.''