Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Foods/Meals That'd Make Brits Jaws Drop

American Foods/Meals That'd Make Brits Jaws Drop

Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:44 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Question American Foods/Meals That'd Make Brits Jaws Drop

That's jaws drop, not drawers drop, OK?

I'm referring to foods that Brits back in the UK would have a hard time eating or believing were being eaten here in the US.

My example is what is known as gravy in the US (or is it just the South?). It's white and commonly accompanies biscuits (US ones, not the British biscuit of course).

Grits for breakfast would probably be a shocker first thing in the morning. I really like grits but then I do like polenta (grits= ground white corn, polenta= ground yellow corn).

What passes as bacon in the US is surely a misnomer. We're talking fat with streaks of meat.

Any others you can think of?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:49 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Foods/Meals That'd Make Brits Jaws Drop

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My example is what is known as gravy in the US (or is it just the South?). It's white and commonly accompanies biscuits (US ones, not the British biscuit of course).
not just a southern delicacy let me assure you.
I kinda like it myself, biscuits and sausage gravy.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:51 pm
North Carolina layabout

Bendex is an unknown quantity at this point

Maple syrup and pancakes for breakfast (sometimes on same plate as sausages, bacon etc) Bleurg !

Having marshmallow toppings on sweet potatoes....again, mixing the sweet with the savory dinner......

PB and J.....though this isn't actually that bad, it seems to me a strange thing to be serving kids for a meal, as it's so sweet (that said I would've preferred it to the haslet sarnies I was made to eat as a kid!)
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:53 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Porkshank = gross
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bendex
Having marshmallow toppings on sweet potatoes....again, mixing the sweet with the savory dinner......
I am happy to finally be able to report:
After watching the historically accurate Regency House Party last night, the Brits themselves used to eat sweet & savory on one plate.
http://www.pbs.org/previews/regencyhouse/

Since we're going back +200 years, I guess it's fair to say that 'you started it'!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:07 pm
North Carolina layabout

Bendex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna

Since we're going back +200 years, I guess it's fair to say that 'you started it'!
Oh....the shame
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bendex
Maple syrup and pancakes for breakfast (sometimes on same plate as sausages, bacon etc) Bleurg !
Decent maple syrup ain't bad on pancakes...and bacon is lovely with anything...but yeah, the bacon here is very different.

The oven meals, those are hardly what I would call food....a lot worse than the junk back home...
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Green Bean Casserole. Apparently this is a traditonal Thanksgiving dish served with the turkey. Makes my stomach churn even thinking about it.

Recipe (my version)

Tin of Condensed Mushroom soup
Tin of Green Beans
Packet of French's Onion Rings

1. Put soup in bottom of oven proof dish.
2. Put beans on top of soup.
3. Put onions on top of beans.
4. Put in the oven until hot.
5. Throw straight in the bin.

Does anyone really eat it? None of my friends make it but the grocery stores are full of tins of mushroom soup, green beans and French's onion rings at the moment.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Tin of Green Beans
Lot of recipes use condensed cans of this and veg canned of that...kinda ik...
Old Nov 4th 2004, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

I had a monstrous meal at a Pig Stand in Beaumont. It was the chicken fried steak. I accompanied it with a strawberry milkshake. Side salad was basically Thousand Island soup with a few leaves of lettuce in it. Steak came with a jacket potsato stuffed with an enormous quantity of cream and cheese. Steak itself was the most sickly savoury dish I've ever had, plus it had a load of white sauce all over it which was almost enough to make me throw up about half way through.......

Never again.

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Texas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant futureTexas Brit has a brilliant future

In Oklahoma City I once had a meal consisting of the following (in a pile from the top down):

Grated Cheese
Fried egg
Bacon
Refried Beans
Beanless Chili
Hamburger pattie
Toast

Fries on the side, of course.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:19 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought of another one that will have your head swimming.

Turducken, created by Chef Paul Prudhomme.

For an explanation of this "dish", see:

http://topchefs.chef2chef.net/recipe...urducken.shtml

I've never heard of anyone who's eaten it or seen it. I wouldn't pay money to eat it either. Not for vegetarians, that's for sure.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:27 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]
Grits for breakfast would probably be a shocker first thing in the morning. I really like grits but then I do like polenta (grits= ground white corn, polenta= ground yellow corn).
What passes as bacon in the US is surely a misnomer. We're talking fat with streaks of meat.

Nah I think you've hit all the important ones

I've actually come to enjoy the bacon...taken almost a decade though...British bacon is just a distant memory

Talking breakfast i just can't eat those hash browns YUCK!!!

I'd never have believed there was actually a potato dish i couldn't eat...I love them every which way but those stringy crunchy hash browns urgh!!

And what's with the Jello in the salad bar?
I like mine in a bowl with a bunch of ice-cream thanks!!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Green Bean Casserole. Apparently this is a traditonal Thanksgiving dish served with the turkey. Makes my stomach churn even thinking about it.

Recipe (my version)

Tin of Green Beans

1. Put soup in bottom of oven proof dish.
2. Put beans on top of soup.
3. Put onions on top of beans.
4. Put in the oven until hot.
5. Throw straight in the bin.

Does anyone really eat it? None of my friends make it but the grocery stores are full of tins of mushroom soup, green beans and French's onion rings at the moment.
Delicious with roast meat roast potatoes,we'll be having it with the Thanksgiving dinner,I must admit I did think 'ugh!' when I first heard of it,but can't imagine not having it at Thanksgiving and Xmas dinner now!,I do acorn squash with those meals as well,never heard of it either, until a few years ago,thats delicious as well,with a tiny amount of brown sugar and a knob of butter mashed into it!!!......Sophia
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:36 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Mountain oysters :scared:

Rocky Mountain Oysters Recipe

Last edited by rincewind; Nov 4th 2004 at 11:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.