Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Food

American Food

Old Aug 30th 2009, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Food

Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
As an American who just moved back from living in the UK for awhile - i miss many, many things from the UK. Your supermarket produce was fresher and of better quality. You grow better varieties of carrots; all my favorite vegetables (parsnips, brussels sprouts, savoy cabbage) are native to the UK climate and taste better. i love quorn & miss it terribly; also Innocent products, biscuits of all sorts, Branston pickle (i pay almost $6 for a small jar here!) and most of all - the cheese! i could go on & on... UK eggs taste better too... though that might be because free range eggs were more available in the UK & we tried to buy them whenever we had the money.

(sidenote: Why are UK eggs so expensive? i never figured out why the prices were so much higher than in the US.)

The only US foods i missed in the UK were honey Chex mix and certain varieties of ice cream (that's maybe one good thing about US food: Americans do ice cream pretty well, i think!). Maybe a few varieties of cold cereal, but i quickly found UK brands i liked.

Suffice it to say that i would do anything for more UK foods to enter the US market.

[sorry to clog up your forum with my non-British-expat thoughts! i'm just interested in why people want to move to the US - plus i have friends in the UK planning to move here soon. That's why i read the forum. Still, i have a deep longing to return to the UK...]
Hello and welcome to BE.

No need to apologise you can be an honourary Brit. Not that it matters because you don't have to be a Brit to post on here...we have members of many nationalities.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:29 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
No need to apologise you can be an honourary Brit.
Oddly enough, although the Merkians misspell "honour" as "honor", there are occasions where the word loses it's "u" in The Queens English. This is one of them.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:55 pm

And another thing: WTF is "Salt Pork"? It comes in a package like this:

And looks like this:

Just looks like a big lump of unsliced bacon, to me.

So I bought some and am frying it up now. Will report back, if it doesn't kill me.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse View Post
And another thing: WTF is "Salt Pork"? It comes in a package like this:

https://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/885/...7600379885.jpg

And looks like this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/i...6salt_pork.jpg

Just looks like a big lump of unsliced bacon, to me.

So I bought some and am frying it up now. Will report back, if it doesn't kill me.
ewww. Did you wiki that before you bought it?
"It is prepared from one of three primal cuts". *That's* 'WTF'.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_pork
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Ta!

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
ewww. Did you wiki that before you bought it?
"It is prepared from one of three primal cuts". *That's* 'WTF'.
Bit like belly pork, then

It's not bad, though I probably shouldn't have put salt on it... Tequila helps.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julii2020 View Post
...and Fiddlehead Ferns - signs of spring
That's brave, fiddleheads, they're nasty
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Ah, but do you remember samphire?
Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:55 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
What about dandelion greens?
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
What about dandelion greens?
they're pretty nasty too