Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Food

American Food

Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:39 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Food

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ooo that's the other one, a decent steak. Its a pity what they do to them over in the UK.....
I wonder if they would know "Pittsburgh rare"
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I wonder if they would know "Pittsburgh rare"
Not in their definition.....
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Liquid cheese!

or maybe tostones, good fried chicken, hot wings, 1lb burgers with buttered buns (!)

That's just the start.
What on Gods small earth is liquid cheese?? It sounds, ahem, lovely!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I was persuaded by an enthusiastic friend to join a Roman Archaeological Association group and last weekend we toured ancient Roman sites in Kent and Sussex....Reculver Fort, Richborough Fort, Pevensey Castle, Lympne Caste and the Roman sites in Dover, including the Roman House, Dover Castle and the Pharos Lighthouse up on the clifftop overlooking the port of Dover, with the coast of France clearly visible across the Channel...not a cloud in the sky and it was 26C.

On the Monday we stopped off at Rye, East Sussex,once a port on the Channel coast but now a wee bit inland and bordering onto Romney Marsh.

Rye is an amazingly attractive place and even in these difficult economic times a very affluent town, with lots of narrow cobbled streets, ancient walls and towers around the town centre and plenty of really nice restaurants and tea rooms, including the one where we went to because one of the guys in our group, who was much the oldest among us at 51, wanted to go there for "afternoon tea" which, for £9.95 per head we had a huge pot of tea each, nice big cups, a round of sandwiches, choice of either white or wholemeal or granary bread, choice of fillings (I had fresh salmon with cucumber and salad), a mega huge home-made scone with butter, whipped cream and fresh strawberry jam which the owner of the cafe said was made out of locally grown English strawberries, and then a huge slice of whatever selection of cake we had ordered - I had a thick slice of almond tart similar to Bakewell...all presented on a separate three tier cake stand sort of thing.

In the following YT clip you can catch a glimpse of the tea-rooms, situated in one of the narrow cobbled streets close to the church.

Rye has had a lot of famous people living there, including, among others, Henry James, Spike Milligan and E F Benson, who was twice Mayor of Rye in the 1930s and who wrote the famous Mapp and Lucia books in which the fictional town of Tilling was modelled on Rye itself, and the entire TV series based on these books was filmed in Rye in 1984, so I found out during my visit, whichj I found very interesting. The series featured Prunella Scales, Geraldine McEwan and Nigel Hawthorne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAT5o...eature=related
Old Aug 25th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

The Morning Star vegetarian range of products.

Especially their buffalo wings (with ranch as a dipper).
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
What on Gods small earth is liquid cheese?? It sounds, ahem, lovely!
Well it's cheese in liquid form.....

You can get it at Fudruckers where you put it on your 1lb burger.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking that unless you 'can't' get it, you won't miss it At this moment, I can't think of anything that I would miss, but that's because I can 'get it'
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:00 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I was persuaded by an enthusiastic friend
Do you work for the tourist board!

And, yes, Morningstar sausage patties and buffalo wings are good, I wouldn't miss the products though
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:12 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm...

popeyes chicken & biscuits
reeces pieces
peanut butter m&m's
sushi (hard to find back n Aberdeen)
cheesecake factory bang bang chicken & shrimp
pei wei's lettuce wraps
cheetos (the crunchy ones)
popcorn with (dubious) butter from cinema
big ass shrimp for $5.99 a lb
PF Changs salt & pepper shrimp

OMG I have definitely been assimilated

Note to self: must start diet very soon...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
hmmm...

popeyes chicken & biscuits
reeces pieces
peanut butter m&m's
sushi (hard to find back n Aberdeen)
cheesecake factory bang bang chicken & shrimp
pei wei's lettuce wraps
cheetos (the crunchy ones)
popcorn with (dubious) butter from cinema
big ass shrimp for $5.99 a lb
PF Changs salt & pepper shrimp

OMG I have definitely been assimilated

Note to self: must start diet very soon...
Oh yes, Popeye's spicy chicken...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
The Morning Star vegetarian range of products.

Especially their buffalo wings (with ranch as a dipper).
aye, the buffalo wings and dodgy bacon is pretty good.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, the buffalo wings and dodgy bacon is pretty good.
I'm pretty sure you can get those over there as well.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
I was persuaded by an enthusiastic friend to join a Roman Archaeological Association group and last weekend we toured ancient Roman sites in Kent and Sussex....Reculver Fort, Richborough Fort, Pevensey Castle, Lympne Caste and the Roman sites in Dover, including the Roman House, Dover Castle and the Pharos Lighthouse up on the clifftop overlooking the port of Dover, with the coast of France clearly visible across the Channel...not a cloud in the sky and it was 26C.

On the Monday we stopped off at Rye, East Sussex,once a port on the Channel coast but now a wee bit inland and bordering onto Romney Marsh.

Rye is an amazingly attractive place and even in these difficult economic times a very affluent town, with lots of narrow cobbled streets, ancient walls and towers around the town centre and plenty of really nice restaurants and tea rooms, including the one where we went to because one of the guys in our group, who was much the oldest among us at 51, wanted to go there for "afternoon tea" which, for £9.95 per head we had a huge pot of tea each, nice big cups, a round of sandwiches, choice of either white or wholemeal or granary bread, choice of fillings (I had fresh salmon with cucumber and salad), a mega huge home-made scone with butter, whipped cream and fresh strawberry jam which the owner of the cafe said was made out of locally grown English strawberries, and then a huge slice of whatever selection of cake we had ordered - I had a thick slice of almond tart similar to Bakewell...all presented on a separate three tier cake stand sort of thing.

In the following YT clip you can catch a glimpse of the tea-rooms, situated in one of the narrow cobbled streets close to the church.

Rye has had a lot of famous people living there, including, among others, Henry James, Spike Milligan and E F Benson, who was twice Mayor of Rye in the 1930s and who wrote the famous Mapp and Lucia books in which the fictional town of Tilling was modelled on Rye itself, and the entire TV series based on these books was filmed in Rye in 1984, so I found out during my visit, whichj I found very interesting. The series featured Prunella Scales, Geraldine McEwan and Nigel Hawthorne.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAT5o...eature=related
Been there, done that as far as Rye goes, and I would love to go back.

BUT I envy you big time about the Roman Archeological Association. Sigh.

Romney Marsh-as in the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, a Disney flick that came out before you were born, . Patrick McGoohan

Last edited by cindyabs; Aug 25th 2009 at 6:04 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Romney Marsh-as in the Scarecrow of Romney Marsh, a Disney flick that came out before you were born, . Patrick McGoohan
Now you've reminded me of a saying of my Dad's, but I can't remember it all...something about being able to see fom here to Romney Marshes, if it wasn't for the buildings in between
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to allSharron_ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
There have been posts by people saying what British food they miss and I was just wondering are there any American foods that you can't get in the UK that you would miss if you went back to live in Britain?
I never found really good Sushi, Mexican or Burgers when I went back to the UK.

Overall I love the food here. Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.