Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American expat in UK moving back to US

American expat in UK moving back to US

Old May 18th 2004, 11:45 am
madscientist

Cool American expat in UK moving back to US

Hi all, I'm American but I live in England with my English husband. We're looking to move to the USA later this year or early next year, mostly because the healthcare I'm receiving here is substandard. (I have a chronic rare disease for which the treatment in the USA is far superior.)

We need to get my husband a green card, but I don't know how to go about doing this other than downloading the forms from the INS, which we've done...and like all US government forms, they're impenetrable! Who has done this before? What should I expect?

Thanks.

Old May 18th 2004, 12:13 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you can afford the insurance for a pre-existing condition. I used to criticize the NHS too, as I worked in it for 13 years. Now I've been working in the US for 6 months I can honestly say the NHS is superior, maybe not in advancement and research, but certainly in practise and ethics.

Wish you luck in your move.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:19 pm
madscientist

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I hope you can afford the insurance for a pre-existing condition. I used to criticize the NHS too, as I worked in it for 13 years. Now I've been working in the US for 6 months I can honestly say the NHS is superior, maybe not in advancement and research, but certainly in practise and ethics.

Hmm..I've found the exact opposite, myself! It won't matter that I have a pre-existing condition because employers are required to offer health coverage to their employees. I know an English woman in Pennsylvania who has type I diabetes and has access to healthcare...expenses related to her diabetes are covered, at least that's what she tells me.

My experiences with the NHS have not been good. I had to wait for six months to have the condition diagnosed. After it was, my doctor explained to me that there are only two treatments available on the NHS for it. I asked him what would happen if neither treatment worked for me, and he snarled, "learn to live with it." I never saw him again; I couldn't believe how rude he was. I had to switch GPs twice before I got one that even seemed to care about me or my health...and even then, she leaves quite a lot to be desired. My US doctors bent over backwards for me and in their care I was symptom-free and healthy. Here, I'm a wreck.

So...you're a nurse! How are you enjoying working in the US? I'm actually thinking about going back to school and becoming a nurse (I already have a BA).

Old May 18th 2004, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American expat in UK moving back to US

Originally posted by madscientist
Hi all, I'm American but I live in England with my English husband. We're looking to move to the USA later this year or early next year, mostly because the healthcare I'm receiving here is substandard. (I have a chronic rare disease for which the treatment in the USA is far superior.)

We need to get my husband a green card, but I don't know how to go about doing this other than downloading the forms from the INS, which we've done...and like all US government forms, they're impenetrable! Who has done this before? What should I expect?

Thanks.
Sell your house right now, with the exchange rate you'll get quite a lot of dollars, mind you, for a rare condition, you'll spend it all in about 6 months.

As the other poster said you will NOT get any kind of insurance coverage here, but i guess you know that already.
When you run out of money, medicaid might kick in.

Good luck, you'll need it.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I can't tell you how irritating it is to have read your comment about the British healthcare system being 'substandard'.

I bet you have paid little (if anything) into the NHS. I know expats here in the US who have no healthcare insurance at all because they can't afford the high premiums.

I'm glad you're coming back to the States. It will be one less person (ungrateful at that) who will be a drain on the NHS resources.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:26 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

You want to explore the option of DCF, (Direct Consular Filing) through the US Embassy in London.

This involves you, the USC, (US Citizen) filing the I-130 at the Embassy and will eventually end up with your husband being issued either the IR-1 or CR-1 visa depending on whether you've been married for longer than two years.

After entrance to the US the 'green' card is mailed to your husband, (could take a couple of weeks).

For more advice and example forms I would suggest a visit to visajourney.com which deals with fiance(e) and spousal visas.

Hope that helps!
Old May 18th 2004, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm..I've found the exact opposite, myself! It won't matter that I have a pre-existing condition because employers are required to offer health coverage to their employees. I know an English woman in Pennsylvania who has type I diabetes and has access to healthcare...expenses related to her diabetes are covered, at least that's what she tells me.

My experiences with the NHS have not been good. I had to wait for six months to have the condition diagnosed. After it was, my doctor explained to me that there are only two treatments available on the NHS for it. I asked him what would happen if neither treatment worked for me, and he snarled, "learn to live with it." I never saw him again; I couldn't believe how rude he was. I had to switch GPs twice before I got one that even seemed to care about me or my health...and even then, she leaves quite a lot to be desired. My US doctors bent over backwards for me and in their care I was symptom-free and healthy. Here, I'm a wreck.

So...you're a nurse! How are you enjoying working in the US? I'm actually thinking about going back to school and becoming a nurse (I already have a BA).
employers are not required to offer health insurance to employees-ask any full time employee of McDonalds if they get it?
Those that do, will have exclusions and get out clauses, and any major condition is usually not covered.

Check out the blue cross blue shield of the website you will be moving to to get an idea of what is covered and what is not. www.bcbs.com is a goo place to start.

But, PLEASE do not move thinking all will be rosy, the health insurance companies do all they can to limit expenditure. Drugs here are so expensive i stock up on OTC stuff each time i go to the UK, or precriptions when i go to Spain as you can buy prescription drugs, without a prescription there, while under my US doctors care.
Old May 18th 2004, 12:49 pm
madscientist

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
Sell your house right now, with the exchange rate you'll get quite a lot of dollars, mind you, for a rare condition, you'll spend it all in about 6 months.

As the other poster said you will NOT get any kind of insurance coverage here, but i guess you know that already.
When you run out of money, medicaid might kick in.

Good luck, you'll need it.
I'm afraid you're mistaken, Muswell Hill, but I'm not going to argue with you about it. My mother works for an insurance company and has assured me that my condition (which is chronic but not progressive or life-threatening, unlike my friend's diabetes) will be covered.

Old May 18th 2004, 12:50 pm
madscientist

Originally posted by Englishmum
I can't tell you how irritating it is to have read your comment about the British healthcare system being 'substandard'.

I bet you have paid little (if anything) into the NHS. I know expats here in the US who have no healthcare insurance at all because they can't afford the high premiums.

I'm glad you're coming back to the States. It will be one less person (ungrateful at that) who will be a drain on the NHS resources.
No, I didn't accuse the entire NHS of being substandard. I said that my treatment at their hands has been substandard. Your experiences may vary.

BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl

Rockgirl, can you elaborate more on this statement " I've been working in the US for 6 months I can honestly say the NHS is superior, maybe not in advancement and research, but certainly in practise and ethics".

THX
madscientist

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
You want to explore the option of DCF, (Direct Consular Filing) through the US Embassy in London.

This involves you, the USC, (US Citizen) filing the I-130 at the Embassy and will eventually end up with your husband being issued either the IR-1 or CR-1 visa depending on whether you've been married for longer than two years.

After entrance to the US the 'green' card is mailed to your husband, (could take a couple of weeks).

For more advice and example forms I would suggest a visit to visajourney.com which deals with fiance(e) and spousal visas.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, it does! Thanks for answering the question instead of ragging on me. :-)

Old May 18th 2004, 12:53 pm
madscientist

Originally posted by Muswell Hill
employers are not required to offer health insurance to employees-ask any full time employee of McDonalds if they get it?
Those that do, will have exclusions and get out clauses, and any major condition is usually not covered.

Check out the blue cross blue shield of the website you will be moving to to get an idea of what is covered and what is not. www.bcbs.com is a goo place to start.

But, PLEASE do not move thinking all will be rosy, the health insurance companies do all they can to limit expenditure. Drugs here are so expensive i stock up on OTC stuff each time i go to the UK, or precriptions when i go to Spain as you can buy prescription drugs, without a prescription there, while under my US doctors care.
Muswell Hill, I'm a US citizen. I know exactly what it's like to live in the United States; I've only been away for three years. I also know exactly what it's like to live in the UK, which is why I'm going home. I appreciate your concern, but I assure you that it's not necessary. My mother works in insurance, as does my aunt (she works for BCBS). My condition is covered and I will be fine. Even if I have to pay for the medication out of pocket, I will be fine. This isn't the kind of condition that keeps me from working...if it did, I'd never be able to live in the UK. The healthcare may be "free," but immigrants like me are not entitled to any other benefits of any kind.

Old May 18th 2004, 12:53 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I think it very much depends on the State and the area as to what kind of hospital you find yourself in, what your coverage will pay for and what the treatment will be like. Although to a certain extent that can happen in the UK (ie: the North/South divide) on the whole the treatment is pretty standard nationally. I have been shocked at certain practises over here. Having said that, it could be that I work in Arizona. I may be moving to Pennsylvania in about 4 weeks so I'll let you know the differences. So far I have avoided going to the doctor for some pressing medical care because I don't think I can afford to follow the course of treatment through. That would not have happened in England. I have "good" medical cover with my job but they only pay 75%. 25% of a lot is a lot!

Hope you manage to make it to nursing school. It's a great job! I am really enjoying working here, despite the initial adjustment problems, and I work with some wonderful people.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:00 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Read the "US Marriage Based Visas Forum". For people with your questions, this is the more appropriate forum.

DCF (direct consular filing) through the US Embassy in London is your best and fastest choice if you (as the USC) fulfill the eligibility criteria.
Old May 18th 2004, 1:04 pm
madscientist

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Read the "US Marriage Based Visas Forum". For people with your questions, this is the more appropriate forum.

DCF (direct consular filing) through the US Embassy in London is your best and fastest choice if you (as the USC) fulfill the eligibility criteria.
Thanks for the advice. You're in North Carolina? Whereabouts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.