Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American-English Words

American-English Words

Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ash UK/US
you never hear yanks tell the time like we do. ......

(UK) ten to eight
(US) ten till eight.
..... or, in these parts (NC) at least, ten of eight.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this a little OT, but a Brit friend of ours was aked by a 'plum in the mouth type' when he went home one time, if he was "Pois Wair." Well that is how it sounded to him...not a clue as what this chap was going on about. Know what he meant? Bet not, hey? He was asking him if he was post war...meaning was he born after the war!.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
..... or, in these parts (NC) at least, ten of eight.
Hmmm never heard of any like that one... that would just confuse me.

Ash
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm never heard of any like that one... that would just confuse me. ....
It did me too! .... Oh, and they use it in Virginia too (that I know of), as that is where my wife is from and she uses it.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Penultimate, no-one seems to know what that means over here. I have used it twice (two times) and it has foxed the people I am with - both times they have thought it meant last, and not second to last!

Patrick
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:11 am
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice
Talking

...So we're going to the (Grocery) store (Americanism!).... can you get my "TRAINERS" please...
.... now I'm going to need a "TROLLEY"....
........Can you open the "BOOT" so I can put the bags in?...

... you dont understand me? ahhh... stop your "WHINGING"!!!!

:scared: hehehehehe

Divided by a common language. After 3 years living here I still come up with things that my husband doesn't understand!!!

Gotta teach 'em some "real" English! :lecture:
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

My first 'hiccup' came shortly after we originally came here on a exchange posting with the RAF..I asked if this Marzipan sweetie in the drawer was a fancy rubber...Poor bloke walked off in disgust. It looked like a fancy rubber to me (eraser to them.)
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:50 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

you never hear yanks tell the time like we do.

(UK) ten past nine
(US) ten after nine
or
(UK) ten to eight
(US) ten till eight.

Ash
I left a phone message to tell someone to come over at half four and they weren't sure if I meant 3.30 or 4.30. Luckily they guessed correctly. It's like saying "the back of two" meaning just after two. Of course, these may be Scottishisms and not UK wide terms.

Heard this on the radio the other day: "It's deja vu all over again!"
Old Dec 9th 2003, 1:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
<<snip>>

What I don't get though, is why on earth there have to be three choices when it comes to clothing for the 'fairer sex': womens, misses and juniors??

<<snip>>
Hey, you forget "petites"!

The range of terms for women's (UK term) clothes sizes is to not offend some women. Everyone who's moved to the US from the UK (at least) has probably noticed how women (and men too) range from stick insect proportions to enormous weeble (as in "weebles wobble and they don't fall down". These people probably do from time to time) shape.

One is only ever going to look in one of these women's ranges for clothes:

US women's is UK size 16 (I think) and upwards
US misses is anything below UK size 16
US juniors is the range for teenagers. No idea about the UK equivalent sizes range
US petites is same as US misses but with proportions to fit a woman of 5'2" and under.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:17 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of saying fortnight, they say bi-weekly.

Also in Texas they use the word 'fixing' alot...I'm fixing to leave or I'm fixing to go out the door?

They also say each digit individually i.e 822281, were I would say 8 double 2 2 81, or even 8 triple 2 81.

If at work and you don't have a car, someone will offer you a 'ride' instead of a 'lift'. and if your in a car accident, its always a 'car wreck' instead of a 'car crash'.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:33 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

The word which bugs me is gotten. "I've gotten a cold" aaargh!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:43 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Have a bash at Bill Bryson's book MotherTongue. Pretty interesting - a LOT of Americanisms actually aren't, and a lot of 'typical' British sayings are American in origin. None spring to mind right now, of course! As with all Bryson books, there is plenty to laugh at in there too.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lady, I'm with you on that one...gotten...dreadful word! Always remember being told in English class to substitute the word 'got' for another. Poor Mrs. Richardson would be turning in her grave if she heard gotten!
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:54 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Gotten is used quite a lot here in Scotland.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 4:57 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

When you're writing (to) someone you mail your letter, you don't post it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.