Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Drinking Culture

American Drinking Culture

Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:44 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Drinking Culture

Originally Posted by chartreuse
We have no public transport at all in our small town, not even a taxi. There's a sports bar a mile and a half from the house (and we're about to get a Bennigans, same distance, different location), so I can walk to those. If I'm in Amarillo (closest we have to a "Big City") then, in extremis, I could leave the truck and get one of the guys (or a taxi) to drop me at a £26 motel, before cabbing it back to my truck in the AM.

Typically, though, as there's two of us, we operate the "one drinks, the other drives" system, which seems to work. So does drinking indoors - I've just started and won't be going out again this evening.

Plenty of ways to avoid drinking and driving, even in a tiny town in BFE.

Edited to add: I do miss having a boozer on the doorstep, though.
I do live in a big city and the options still don't exist. When we go out for food one of us will only have 1 as a maximum and drive.

There is a bar fairly close by that I frequent with another BE'er and her lovely husband drives us home. The car park last week was full when we arrived, and every one was drinking alcohol, hardly any cars left in the carpark when we left, so they must have all driven home
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:48 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get that, but I suspect that may be because most of my drinking buddies are fellow firearms enthusiasts, for whom the wisdom of not mixing alcohol with potentially lethal machinery goes without saying.
Hmmm.... I must admit to being the habit of enjoying a quick snifter before going out with the snowthrower on a cold, dark winter's night.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:56 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonrob
Hmmm.... I must admit to being the habit of enjoying a quick snifter before going out with the snowthrower on a cold, dark winter's night.
There's levels of lethal
Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:39 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

There's levels of lethal
There's only one degree of dead.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
There's only one degree of dead.
Or is there?

Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

The guy in front looks like one of our BE members!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:15 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
If one is on the California side at Tahoe, one can cross onto the Nevada side.
True, but don't expect me to swim back.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:22 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

I am amused when people talk about a national drinking "culture." I've lived here all my life, and I would note that there are different "crowds" who have different drinking habits. BTW, Ft. Lauderdale has a reputation of spring break party atmosphere.

One thing to note about US bars -- the legal aging drinking age throughout the US is 21. When the general age of majority was reduced to 18 there was an upsurge in teenage drinking. It has now reverted to 21. It is a matter of state law. Technically, it still is. However, after many states had already reverted to 21, the Federal Government made the 21 year old drinking age a condition of obtaining Federal Highway funds.

Liquor sales in the US are generally highly regulated. Generally, a liquor license is generally a license to print money. Your question is about an on-site sales situation. However, my local 7-11 is one of the few that does not have an off-site sales license -- not even beer & wine. The ABC is highly disinclined to issue a new one in our area -- there are many as is. And when a business applies for a license, even to buy an existing license, a big notice has to be placed in the window and they are easily recognizable. The notice invites public comment. Whenever that 7-11 has put up the notice, the local public comments -- the concern mainly being that the off-site will really be on-site -- in the parking lot.

Bottom line -- one's individual perception of "culture" will often be from personal experience.

If you are 22, have you been "carded" yet?
bloody good point, I saw this and sorry if anyone else has pointed it out, but just having ears boxed right, left and centre about the health care debate and it isn't "constitutional" ? want ever that means! as it has so many amendments and was meant to be a sail not an anchor! so federal highway's was the reason to legalization to 21 drinking?, which is basically what my driving instructor in CT told me as CT allowed Drinking at 18, Old enough to Die? old enough to drink? something to with Vietnam??? and then did away with it!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:34 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by made of kent
bloody good point, I saw this and sorry if anyone else has pointed it out, but just having ears boxed right, left and centre about the health care debate and it isn't "constitutional" ? want ever that means! as it has so many amendments and was meant to be a sail not an anchor! so federal highway's was the reason to legalization to 21 drinking?, which is basically what my driving instructor in CT told me as CT allowed Drinking at 18, Old enough to Die? old enough to drink? something to with Vietnam??? and then did away with it!
Don't mean drinking and driving BTW, just that a Law was sneakily passed, under federal funding and I have no idea which party? interested to know? I like a lot of Brits am shocked at the drink Driving here, in My state it is arse about face, I can't buy Beer to consume at home on a Sunday but I can drive to a Bar drink myself silly and drive home, yes and risk getting caught, but people just don't seem to!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mean drinking and driving BTW, just that a Law was sneakily passed, under federal funding and I have no idea which party? interested to know? I like a lot of Brits am shocked at the drink Driving here, in My state it is arse about face, I can't buy Beer to consume at home on a Sunday but I can drive to a Bar drink myself silly and drive home, yes and risk getting caught, but people just don't seem to!
Alcohol law is really weird in the US. Do remember that we once had National Prohibition ensconced in the US Constitution no less. [The California State constitution is a mess because of voter approved amendments, the Proposition 8 attack on the sanctity of marriage being an example. But I digress].

The 18th Amendment was such a disaster, it was repealed by the 21st 15 years later. However, the 21st did preserve "local option." [Recently, the Supremes held that the Commerce Clause actually trumped the "local option" to an extent].

By the way, the Federal Franchise was lowered to 18 at the beginning of 1970 and the 26th amendment was passed in 1971. Young enough to die, eh? The voting age was lowered in 1970 eighteen days before my 21st birthday -- and I was in the US Army at the time. While stationed in Virginia, 18 year olds were permitted to purchase "3.2" beer while 21 and over could purchase "6.4." Only "3.2" was served on Post, so being a tad older than many of my fellow soldiers, I was often taken along to purchase the "6.4." stuff. [Funny thing, I really didn't like the taste of beer at first]. BTW, the "hard" stuff was available only to 21 and over and then only in State "Package" stores which kept what were then called "bankers' hours."

An Army buddy hailed from Utah which had yet to legalize "liquor by the drink" -- what they had done, was to allow restaurants to sell a bottle to patrons with their dinner -- but there had been a strict "open bottle" law in effect. They had just authorized sales of "mini-bottles" like the ones on the airlines.

An interesting chart on drinking ages can be found here.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:32 pm

The 18th Amendment was such a disaster, it was repealed by the 21st 15 years later. However, the 21st did preserve "local option." [Recently, the Supremes held that the Commerce Clause actually trumped the "local option" to an extent].
I found myself reading up on the Commerce Clause, recently, due to the sabre rattling from some states about firearms manufactured and sold in-state not being subject to Federal regulation.

Wickard v. Filburn and Gonzales v. Raich made depressing reading. United States v. Lopez was more encouraging but it reminded me that, in the firearms world at least, the maxim "you might beat the rap but you won't beat the ride" is never far from people's thoughts.

They had just authorized sales of "mini-bottles" like the ones on the airlines.
Last time I was in SC (6 years or so ago) the law was still that hard liquor could only be sold for on-premises consumption by way of mini bottles. Don't know if that's changed since then.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I was in SC (6 years or so ago) the law was still that hard liquor could only be sold for on-premises consumption by way of mini bottles. Don't know if that's changed since then.
It changed about 3yrs ago. DUIs are said to be the most common criminal offense here. Too many times I've been following a drunk or drugged driver here it seems. The last time was on I-20. I passed a guy in the red BMW 3 series doing about 45. A few miles down the road, he passed me doing at least 100 then inexplicably slammed his brakes on hard and slowed to 40 odd. Was quite scary to think he could have slammed into the back of me and being completely unaware of doing it most likely.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Wickard v. Filburn and Gonzales v. Raich made depressing reading. ...
You must have too much time on your hands if that sort of thing is depressing
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
It changed about 3yrs ago. DUIs are said to be the most common criminal offense here. Too many times I've been following a drunk or drugged driver here it seems. The last time was on I-20. I passed a guy in the red BMW 3 series doing about 45. A few miles down the road, he passed me doing at least 100 then inexplicably slammed his brakes on hard and slowed to 40 odd. Was quite scary to think he could have slammed into the back of me and being completely unaware of doing it most likely.
Hubby is already complaining about the drivers there He says he is having to re-learn defensive driving!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 from what I have found was introduced by a democrat Sen. Frank Lautenberg of NJ.

Signed into law by President Reagan. The 98th congress had a democrat majority in the House and the Senate had a republican majority.

So I supposed you could possibly say it was bi-partisan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...inking_Age_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/98th_Un...tates_Congress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.