Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American dreaming of living in France!

American dreaming of living in France!

Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Cthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really nice
Default American dreaming of living in France!

Bonjour tout le monde

Do you know any Americans who have successfully immigrated to France? By successfully I mean living there and working legally. I do not seem to fit any of the usual profiles of those who have done this. So, lets just say I'm, well, oddly "unique." I know that it's difficult and-so-on, but I hear that it actually can be done! So there's hope for someone like me. I speak French well enough to survive, and I've been to France and other European countries for brief visits several times on Educational tours and once as an adventure (back-packing ... long, long ago). But now I want to make my dream reality. Can y'all help a Yankee out s'il vous plait?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice
Default Re: American dreaming of living in France!

Well I'm an Englishman living in France trying to get out of the country and into the States. Can we swap places? Would make life sooo much easier for both of us

I recommend signing up to this forum Living France I have been a member there since arriving in France 5 years ago, it's very helpful and there are currently some Americans posting there looking to move to France as well.

Bonne chance!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Cthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really niceCthlyt is just really nice

Originally Posted by blargins
Well I'm an Englishman living in France trying to get out of the country and into the States. Can we swap places? Would make life sooo much easier for both of us

I recommend signing up to this forum Living France I have been a member there since arriving in France 5 years ago, it's very helpful and there are currently some Americans posting there looking to move to France as well.

Bonne chance!
HAHA! Why certainly we could swap. And heck, if I can't make it to France Britain would be just as good. Why on Earth (or any other planet for that matter) do you want to go to The States? What's wrong with France or your homeland? I would be more than happy to assist in any way with your plan to go to America.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

blargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really niceblargins is just really nice

Ah that's easy to answer.

I have a lady in NJ I would like to spend the rest of my life with

And I'm bored senseless with France and I don't like England much either.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with France is that large parts of it are now filled with Brits who watched "A year in Provence".
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

This is true, but they tend to keep themselves in their little cliques. There's over 40 British families in my immediate district, but I probably only know 3 or 4 of them and never see the rest unless there's a fete on or something. But there's only about half a million Brits in the country which isn't that much really.

Plus many have returned to the UK because of the crap pound.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Hey, is your dreamgirl an American? If so, get hitched!

And what might "the crap pound" be?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

That's what we're aiming to do, subject to life not getting in the way. Anything that can go wrong is going wrong at present

The crap pound is where it is pretty much equal to the euro. Couple of years back, English were getting around €1.40 to the pound. It's gone as low as parity in recent times and is currently at the €1.15 mark.

Many Brits here live off of UK pensions, so the poor exchange rate has hit them very hard, hence a mass exodus back to the UK.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by blargins

Bonne chance!
Hey Blargins, thanks for the link. I'm enjoying the site.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

De rien (you're welcome).