Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The American Dream Still Alive?

The American Dream Still Alive?

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Dream Still Alive?

Originally Posted by simongb
......We have to ask ourselves why, in 'the richest' country in the world, why are their people who have little or nothing?......
The richest country in the world in terms of per capita income, social welfare, living standards, quality of life, etc.. is........Norway. It beats both the USA and the UK hands down. There are very few, if any, people in Norway who "have little or nothing". A similar country with a similar social set up is Switzerland. Several other European countries come pretty close to all that, especially where it comes to social welfare. Practically all of the European nations are "richer" than America when it comes down to the social welfare of citizens on a more or less universal basis, although some of them may be creaking at the edges a wee bit, but nevertheless it is there as a safety net when all is said and done.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:38 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It would be so much more humane to let the "free market" work by paying an attractive wage rather than turning to the government to scare the people into submission.
But this free market has had free reign here in the US for ages. We are seeing the net results of it being left virtually unchecked: stockholders' greed driving down wages and jobs going overseas to cut costs and increase profits, in turn the big corps behavior impacts the smaller private businesses and they have to cut costs further in order to stay in competition. The costs of doing business continue to increase way beyond any proportional increase in the total renumeration package.

Henry Ford said during the depression: "we can't afford to keep laying people off - who will buy our products?" or something like that.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

AngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really niceAngloDreamer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think Xebedee raises a 'sad but true' fact about a lot of positions in America - they are not terribly well paid. Without knowing the experience level associated with these positions it's hard to be detailed, but it's a bit scary to me that permanent technical positions are offering only $50k. Achieving the American Dream on $50k is not easy.

For me, the American Dream is real, and I feel I achieved it. I came here with nothing - no connections, no friends, stayed at a $50/night crappo motel while I looked for an apartment and car. I've achieved everything I could hope for, and more. I came to the most expensive place in the country (bay area) and survived and thrived. I've never had to put anyone else down in order to achieve this (in fact I've hired and nurtured many people), and enjoyed almost every day of it. I feel sure I could not have achieved this in the UK - so I credit this to 'America'.

Now, I was incredibly lucky in that I chose, by pure luck, computers as my field at University in UK, and chose not to bail on the course even though it was desperately difficult, when most of my 'liberal arts' type friends (History, Economics, Anthropology, etc) seemed to have a much easier time of it. Choosing computers happened to be my ticket to the 'dream', and I was lucky. It's sad that teachers and others are not so lucky.
Good on ya M8 ! You chose the right way and it came right for you . Not sure I agree with you about Teachers, it's an honorable profession and so is my ex, she was a nurse and I presume still is.
Prob a Sister by now.
She will not be rich but probably happy.

P.S I know many people that know 'Their Stuff' about computers but don't make a bean. They do it cos they like it. Same as me.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:01 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

If the Eskimos have 50 words for the different kinds of snow
How many different expressions do the Mancunians have for getting the shit kicked out of you?
Try visiting Wythenshawe hospital on a Friday night, and ask the triage nurse, she'll have heard most of them!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:20 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Dare I ask what field the positions are in? Cos $50k is not a lot for many highly skilled technical positions outside academia.
Don't know if I answered this question.
The firm is paying approx 50-55k for engineers (EE's and ME's) thats with up to 10yrs experience too.

Today I am handing in a job app for a staff job there. Not too happy about doing so, as I expect to take a cut in pay from being a temp. Also, its nice being a temp - no rubbish to deal with. So, its time to suck it up and rejoin the game - that way I can get the 401k, pto and health insurance.

Lets see; more responsibility, work for free, added stress and less pay. For security in a sagging economy and the "bells and whistles" of being a permie. Ho hum.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:47 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Don't know if I answered this question.
The firm is paying approx 50-55k for engineers (EE's and ME's) thats with up to 10yrs experience too.

Today I am handing in a job app for a staff job there. Not too happy about doing so, as I expect to take a cut in pay from being a temp. Also, its nice being a temp - no rubbish to deal with. So, its time to suck it up and rejoin the game - that way I can get the 401k, pto and health insurance.

Lets see; more responsibility, work for free, added stress and less pay. For security in a sagging economy and the "bells and whistles" of being a permie. Ho hum.
Bloody 'ell I was lucky then, ended up getting $70k+, very similar wage to the job I left in the UK - In fact I'm working in exactly the same industry in a supervisory position on shifts.

I honestly thought I'd be greeting at meijers, as I'm only on an L2 visa.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What about stock option, vacation pay etc benefits?

Originally Posted by surly
H-1Bs are usually IT I've never seen an H-1b Mech or Elect engineer, and PE isn't generally a requirement.

From my experience these salaries are pretty close out here.

Salaries SV
Old Mar 11th 2008, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
No you make more hooking don't you?