Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The American Dream Still Alive?

The American Dream Still Alive?

Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The American Dream Still Alive?

Originally Posted by ironporer
well said.

I do wonder why so may come here from the UK, Germany etc, get married then divorced and continue to stay here...all the while bemoaning how bad it is here. I do not question that Spain, UK or other countries may have some/many things better...but why stay here if that is so?
I don't think we're moaning.

but the streets aren't paved with gold.

no matter which country you live in, you need to pay the mortgage, graft and pay the bills.

I think some Brits see the USA as the easy life. It ain't. It's just as hard to live here as in any other 1st world country.

there is no American dream. just as there ain't no British dream, German dream, Dutch dream, etc etc.......
Old Dec 25th 2007, 9:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

well said.

I do wonder why so may come here from the UK, Germany etc, get married then divorced and continue to stay here...all the while bemoaning how bad it is here. I do not question that Spain, UK or other countries may have some/many things better...but why stay here if that is so?

Jim and I also wonder that about German friends of ours. She married a Yank and they lived both in Germany for a while and then moved here 20 odd years ago. She won't take citizenship and complains about the healthcare and this and that. Yet all her surgeries for her heart condition were done here in the US and didn't leave her bankrupt so she must be well covered. She is now eligible at age 65 to claim social security and does claim it from Germany but yet she will never go back to live in German and that is where her brothers and sisters still live.

For myself, I'm glad she is here as I would miss her if she were to leave. But I hate to see her so unhappy at times about having to live in the US. Her hubby doesn't care where he lives.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 10:01 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Of course they are not. If anyone really thought that then they were naive
no matter which country you live in, you need to pay the mortgage, graft and pay the bills.

I think some Brits see the USA as the easy life. It ain't. It's just as hard to live here as in any other 1st world country.

there is no American dream. just as there ain't no British dream, German dream, Dutch dream, etc etc.......

My Father always said the American dream was that your children be better off than you are. I doubt I will accomplish that (Mom and Dad did very well) but I am not hurting- and I hope my kids will be able to say the same...hopefully after college- whether that be in Spain or here. There are good and bad in all societies- one just has to weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 10:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

My Father always said the American dream was that your children be better off than you are. I doubt I will accomplish that (Mom and Dad did very well) but I am not hurting- and I hope my kids will be able to say the same...hopefully after college- whether that be in Spain or here. There are good and bad in all societies- one just has to weigh the pros and cons and make an informed decision.
I think this generation will have it tougher than us to be honest.

I believe that the 50's had it the best. and it's been a gradual downhill ever since.

just a personal opinion.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 10:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the 50's had it the best. and it's been a gradual downhill ever since.

just a personal opinion.
I agree.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:07 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Rete.
The USA is a great country, honestly, it really is. In fact I'd say it may probably in the top 5 in the world in which to live.

But.........
it's not the be all and end all either. I think too much hype is believed on both sides of the pond as to how great it is.
When you get here and work here and live here, it's just an anticlimax.

Thats a great way of putting it. I agree with that 100%
Rob
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:47 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

just a personal opinion.
I would say that the 50's were the first generation to have MOST of the people out of poverty...which meant one car, small home, maybe a TV, probably a radio, and shoes twice a year for most kids.

Today, even most 'poor' kids have Adidas sneaks, and a game boy/Wii and three TV's.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackal5
Not entirely sure how you figure this one. Loafing around as a student, maybe. -Dan227

Hardly. I'm not at all a rich kid, I need to work in order to pay my tuition fees and yes that does mean doing 12 hour shifts a few days a week.

What I meant by stressful is that I get on London Underground everyday in the morning and see people rushing to work and then in the evening half asleep on the train. I feel as though people here in the UK work to live and not live to work.
And you think you are going to be less stressed on the New York Subway? Commuting far out into Pennsylvania to find somewhere affordable to buy? Don't be daft mate, its horses for courses. At least your average corporate London commuter is getting 5 weeks off a year as opposed to the 2 as they would be in New York. Not to mention the hours are generally longer here as well. It's only half an hour to an hour a day, but that mounts up.

Last edited by Dan725; Dec 26th 2007 at 12:49 am.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:38 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
And you think you are going to be less stressed on the New York Subway? Commuting far out into Pennsylvania to find somewhere affordable to live? Don't be daft mate, its horses for courses. At least your average corporate London commuter is getting 5 weeks off a year as opposed to the 2 as they would be in New York. Not to mention the hours are generally longer here as well. It's only half an hour to an hour a day, but that mounts up.
And dont forget that 2 weeks should be only taken one week at a time, giving you NO time to go anywhere and unwind.
Besides the awful medical situation here, that is the worst.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:41 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on a lot of things -- such as what field you're planning to work in.

I've lived here almost 30 years, most of that time as a single person. I have a graduate degree (MA) from an American university. But I'm in a relatively low-paid field, and I've pretty much always struggled financially. I did buy a house (in south Texas where real estate is cheap), but I had problems paying the mortgage and sold it rather than foreclose on it. My head's above water at the moment, but only just.

So I don't think I'm living any kind of "American dream."

Sarah
Old Dec 26th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
And dont forget that 2 weeks should be only taken one week at a time, giving you NO time to go anywhere and unwind.
Besides the awful medical situation here, that is the worst.
One week at a time if you are lucky - most people I knew when I was doing the 2 week thang (myself included) frittered it away on long weekends off and days here and there to try and get the most out of it - but you end up completely knackered, and certainly not unwound, as you say.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 1:09 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Well - I'd like to think we've advanced beyond "The Jungle" a smidge, though I'm sure a slaughterhouse is still a nasty, nasty, nasty place to work. Keep in mind that was set in a time period where people had few, if any options ... a bit different from today when many seem to quit their jobs on a whim as others lay just around the corner. At least we have OSHA today.

I do think the American Dream is alive and well. It's not going to be handed to anyone on a silver platter ... but I do think it exists for those who apply themselves. For instance, a good friend of mine came to the US from Vietnam as a little girl with her brother and parents. They were sponsored by a US group I believe, and arrived with only one bag. They are smart people and worked hard, and in just under 30 years have gone from nothing to owning a business, making a lot of $$ in real estate, and they now live in a large home in California. This is still a country where if one works hard, rewards can be had. That's not exclusive to the US of course, I would expect that it would be true of many western countries.

But it's still pretty damn cool imho.
I agree with that. A smidge. But the fact is there are millions of people still living a poverty stricken life, despite working their fingers to the bone in mind numbing. souless jobs, terrified of missing a day of their low paid labour for fear of losing their jobs. And with no real safety net to speak of it reduces these people to the level of bondage laid out in the book. Surely you can't deny this? As I said earlier, when you have no choice but to flip burgers, or stand at the front door of wal-mart at mindnight, trying to smile at people and say - Hi!!! How are you today??? Then america has advanced only a 'smidge' from the days of The Jungle.

But, that isn't entirely what I was talking about. Yes, the working conditions have perhaps improved since then, but not the crap that food producers churn out to the nation. I heard a farmer on NPR the other day saying he would NOT eat his own corn if you paid him. It is so genetically modified that it is the worst corn in the world. Again, as with everything here (and more so than in, for e.g., the UK, where there are independent regulators of most industries, that are not on the bankroll) profit is king and to hell with the consumer.

Don't get me wrong, I like it here, but the american dream is just that. The rich get richer and the poor eventually die of overwork, lack of respect and lack of care by the nation they were brought up to love as the 'greatest nation on earth'.

That said, I have finally found salt and vinegar crisps so f cuk it!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 1:55 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Don't get me wrong, I like it here, but the american dream is just that. The rich get richer and the poor eventually die of overwork, lack of respect and lack of care by the nation they were brought up to love as the 'greatest nation on earth'.

That said, I have finally found salt and vinegar crisps so f cuk it!
You said it so well.

Nickel and Dimed is an excellent book that is a real eye opener to the 'American Dream'. Thing is, I live in a state that is mostly wrinklies who have retired from up north. The non-wrinklies work these terrible jobs mostly, which they find in the service industry as there are few high-end jobs in the state. You really get to see the underbelly if you live down here for long enough.

In Europe, people in their 70's are traveling, enjoying life for the most part. They're not packing groceries in a supermarket in order to buy meds, or help pay for their ridiculous property tax. And before someone chimes in and goes on about them having made provision for their retirement, etc...I was here during the dotcom meltown. We know what the Enrons of the world did to so many of their funds. Wiped many people's pensions out.

Dog eat dog mate. And the American folk don't realize that for the most part, they are living in a very unhealthy society because it is all they know.

Yes, you can live the American dream. If you are somewhat smart enough. But let us face it, there are millions of Americans who are not the brightest tools in the shed and who will just not be able to advance up the college ladder, no matter how much they try. These are the janitors, the burger-flippers, the garbage men, etc..of the world. They do not live, and will never have the chance to live the American Dream. They live the American Nightmare.

And FYI mallory, I am not moving to Manchester but to my home country, which is one of the best on earth.

Last edited by Redlippie; Dec 26th 2007 at 1:57 am.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:09 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie

And FYI mallory, I am not moving to Manchester but to my home country, which is one of the best on earth.

You are moving to saaaf afreeka? lol - Or am I confused?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 2:11 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
You are moving to saaaf afreeka? lol - Or am I confused?
I'm not a Sawf Efriken

Your mate's got a bar there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.