Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

the american dream

the american dream

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the american dream

Originally Posted by englishinusa
If you have the cash, transfer it to a dollar account and then buy the house.
If you need a loan, you will need a good credit history and a job in the US.
It is actually easier to get a mortgage if you are working and
living in the UK .. on a US house ...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Why anyone would even consider moving from SURREY to ... Modesto...
Because they come from Mitcham
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:11 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Because they come from Mitcham
You've not been to Modesto then...
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
u need a house to EAT BATTENBURG THO dont u.
Fixated on that cake now aren't you. I may just have to start baking

I haven't figured out the OPs problem either. Not sure what being married has to do with buying houses. Perhaps they'll come back and tell us.

Last edited by Tracym; Mar 24th 2007 at 12:55 am.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Hank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of lightHank Hill is a glorious beacon of light

It's ok here in Sac, but cali is too expensive really, will prob head back to Austin in a couple of years.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Location: from long island, ny - currently in surrey, england
cheekymonkey83 will become famous soon enough

well, thank you everyone for your very interesting responses..
to answer every question i recall reading at once, i was told that we would have to be married 3 years by other brit/yank couples on the visa journey and american expats forum.. i am aware that modesto and berekeley are not next to each other, i mentioned them both since it's northern cali.. i am also aware that berekley is expensive (i'm the american, remember?), i meant the area around it..the reason we would be move from surrey to cali, or us for that matter, is b/c my brit b/f hates it here, the weather, traffic, over-populated, ect.. the quality of life would be far better in usa.. he's the one who likes the idea of cali b/c of the weather, and houses we've looked at online are both affordable and have nice weather
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:19 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheekymonkey83
well, thank you everyone for your very interesting responses..
.....................modesto and berekeley are not next to each other, i mentioned them both since it's northern cali.. i am also aware that berekley is expensive (i'm the american, remember?), i meant the area around it..the reason we would be move from surrey to cali, or us for that matter, is b/c my brit b/f hates it here, the weather, traffic, over-populated, ect.. the quality of life would be far better in usa.. he's the one who likes the idea of cali b/c of the weather, and houses we've looked at online are both affordable and have nice weather
Left the Bay Area 10 years ago and it was nuts then. Peoples republic of Berkeley is nice if you are 18 and a college student. Sorry, but IMO the whole area is absolutely bananas.......it needs to get towed out to sea.
If your OH wants to avoid traffic and over-population, Northern Cali might not be the best choice in the world.......
There is an ex-pat population, a lot left over from the brain drain and "recent" arrivals also. Cali is fine if you can happily trade off way of life for standard of living........not everyone can do that and I've known a Brit or two who just felt they had to leave after a while. Myself included. Thats no judgement, just a fact......it takes all kinds and good luck to you.

Weather? Its like being on holiday 365 days a year........Bloody HOT.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... is b/c my brit b/f hates it here, the weather, traffic, over-populated, ect.. the quality of life would be far better in usa.. he's the one who likes the idea of cali b/c of the weather, and houses we've looked at online are both affordable and have nice weather
I want some of what he's smoking.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

houses we've looked at online are both affordable and have nice weather
Any chance of posting a link to one of these properties?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:51 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Left the Bay Area 10 years ago and it was nuts then. Peoples republic of Berkeley is nice if you are 18 and a college student. Sorry, but IMO the whole area is absolutely bananas.......it needs to get towed out to sea..............
Matt, Darling, what about me - can I stay?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:35 pm

Matt, Darling, what about me - can I stay?
There's a big "rock" in the middle of the SF bay.......its been uninhabited for quite a while.
It'll need a little redecoration but the sea views will be awesome.

You'll need a boat and dont go swimming tho........heard the currents are pretty nasty

Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:58 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
There's a big "rock" in the middle of the SF bay.......its been uninhabited for quite a while.
It'll need a little redecoration but the sea views will be awesome.

You'll need a boat and dont go swimming tho........heard the currents are pretty nasty

So you see me as some kind of Golden Gate Lorelei?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:56 pm

So you see me as some kind of Golden Gate Lorelei?
Lorelei:

1. "........beautiful Rhine Maidens who lured navigators of this river to their dooms with their alluring singing, much as the ancient Greek Sirens did."

2. ".........a rock on the eastern bank of the Rhine"

3. ".......formerly known as Kristine Imboch, is a well-known bondage model, photographer and producer of bondage erotica"

4. "......Lorelei Records - Independent Punk/Hardcore/Indie Record Label Based in Santa Cruz"

Its either 1 or 3..........decisions, decisions, decisions...........OK, you are a small mountain in Germany.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us? I've heard that we (me being the american half) would have to be married for three years. Second question.. any brits relocate to northern california, and if so, how do you like it? We were thinking of buying a house in the Modesto/Berkeley area in a few years, and were wondering if there are many brits there.. Many thanks
Wire me the cash, I will helpa you. I should give you mi Nigerian addresse, its the addresse I use for peoples (Unsuspecting persons) who wanty too help my get millions of dollars, out of deceased government officials hidden banky accounts. Mostli, they work for biggy oil companies.
Kindeat Regards.
Ps. Please be quick, I need funds soooooooooon
Old Mar 25th 2007, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Location: from long island, ny - currently in surrey, england
cheekymonkey83 will become famous soon enough

if you go on www.homes.com, you can out in any city in any state and it will come up w/ houses in whatever price range you're looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.