the american dream

the american dream

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Location: from long island, ny - currently in surrey, england
cheekymonkey83 will become famous soon enough
Smile the american dream

Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us? I've heard that we (me being the american half) would have to be married for three years. Second question.. any brits relocate to northern california, and if so, how do you like it? We were thinking of buying a house in the Modesto/Berkeley area in a few years, and were wondering if there are many brits there.. Many thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:58 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the american dream

Originally Posted by cheekymonkey83 View Post
Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us? I've heard that we (me being the american half) would have to be married for three years. Second question.. any brits relocate to northern california, and if so, how do you like it? We were thinking of buying a house in the Modesto/Berkeley area in a few years, and were wondering if there are many brits there.. Many thanks
I'm pretty sure anyone can buy a house in the US. No idea where the 3 years comes into anything related to buying a house or even being able to come to the US.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:49 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Modesto isn't exactly close to Berkeley...

Berkeley is mega-expensive as far as housing is concerned, as is the whole of the Bay Area. Very civilised though, compared with .......... a lot of other places that come to mind.

Northern Cali has perfect weather

(Not sure where you got this 3 years stuff from? If you have no credit history in the US you can still get a loan, but the interest rate is likley to be [email protected])

Check the marriage based immigration forum on how to get your spouse a green card. Hope you are good at filling in tons of paperwork...)
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us?
Anybody can buy a house in the US ...
It just need money...

Staying to use it is a different question...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:59 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about the three year part to the Green Card? All that means is that if you have been married less than 3 years your hubby will get a temporary green card with conditions of residence ( e.g. you must remain married) on it and a short expiry date ( two or so years after entry into the US). Once you have stayed in the US for two years you can file to get the restrictions removed and he will be issued a full 10 year green card.

This is what we had to do and it wasn't any problem to us moving here or getting credit.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone!
Hoping for a market crash then? If not you must be loaded or joking.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:15 pm
The Duchess of Putney

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop View Post
Hoping for a market crash then? If not you must be loaded or joking.
Why anyone would even consider moving from SURREY to ... Modesto...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Anybody can buy a house in the US ...
It just need money...

Staying to use it is a different question...
u need a house to EAT BATTENBURG THO dont u.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Why anyone would even consider moving from SURREY to ... Modesto...
Maybe they belong there with about half of California's population who are delusional. I spent too long there myself and it made me a bit of a crackpot.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford View Post
Are you talking about the three year part to the Green Card? All that means is that if you have been married less than 3 years your hubby will get a temporary green card with conditions of residence ( e.g. you must remain married) on it and a short expiry date ( two or so years after entry into the US). Once you have stayed in the US for two years you can file to get the restrictions removed and he will be issued a full 10 year green card.

This is what we had to do and it wasn't any problem to us moving here or getting credit.

It's 2 years not 3 years. In fact your entire post is incorrect.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deedee13 View Post
u need a house to EAT BATTENBURG THO dont u.
And I thought I was cuckoo.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Hello everyone!
Sorry if I am reading this wrong but, why not buy the property (pipe dream in a few years )in your name?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil View Post
I'm pretty sure anyone can buy a house in the US. No idea where the 3 years comes into anything related to buying a house or even being able to come to the US.
3 years probably related to citizenship from the greencard...
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford View Post

it's married for less than 2 years that you get conditional greencard.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

englishinusa is an unknown quantity at this point

How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us?
If you have the cash, transfer it to a dollar account and then buy the house.

If you need a loan, you will need a good credit history and a job in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.