British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   the american dream (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/american-dream-436792/)

cheekymonkey83 Mar 23rd 2007 12:17 pm

the american dream

Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us? I've heard that we (me being the american half) would have to be married for three years. Second question.. any brits relocate to northern california, and if so, how do you like it? We were thinking of buying a house in the Modesto/Berkeley area in a few years, and were wondering if there are many brits there.. Many thanks :)

neil Mar 23rd 2007 2:58 pm

Re: the american dream

Originally Posted by cheekymonkey83 (Post 4551265)
Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us? I've heard that we (me being the american half) would have to be married for three years. Second question.. any brits relocate to northern california, and if so, how do you like it? We were thinking of buying a house in the Modesto/Berkeley area in a few years, and were wondering if there are many brits there.. Many thanks :)

I'm pretty sure anyone can buy a house in the US. No idea where the 3 years comes into anything related to buying a house or even being able to come to the US.

Elvira Mar 23rd 2007 3:49 pm

Modesto :eek: isn't exactly close to Berkeley... :huh:

Berkeley is mega-expensive as far as housing is concerned, as is the whole of the Bay Area. Very civilised though, compared with .......... a lot of other places that come to mind.

Northern Cali has perfect weather :)

(Not sure where you got this 3 years stuff from? If you have no credit history in the US you can still get a loan, but the interest rate is likley to be cr@p.)

Check the marriage based immigration forum on how to get your spouse a green card. Hope you are good at filling in tons of paperwork...)

Ray Mar 23rd 2007 3:58 pm

Hello everyone!
I had two questions..How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us?

Anybody can buy a house in the US ...
It just need money...

Staying to use it is a different question...

dan_alford Mar 23rd 2007 3:59 pm

Are you talking about the three year part to the Green Card? All that means is that if you have been married less than 3 years your hubby will get a temporary green card with conditions of residence ( e.g. you must remain married) on it and a short expiry date ( two or so years after entry into the US). Once you have stayed in the US for two years you can file to get the restrictions removed and he will be issued a full 10 year green card.

This is what we had to do and it wasn't any problem to us moving here or getting credit.

cabritpop Mar 23rd 2007 4:10 pm

Hello everyone!

Hoping for a market crash then? If not you must be loaded or joking.

Elvira Mar 23rd 2007 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by cabritpop (Post 4552115)
Hoping for a market crash then? If not you must be loaded or joking.

Why anyone would even consider moving from SURREY to ... Modesto... :ohmy:

Deedee13 Mar 23rd 2007 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4552048)
Anybody can buy a house in the US ...
It just need money...

Staying to use it is a different question...

u need a house to EAT BATTENBURG THO dont u.

cabritpop Mar 23rd 2007 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4552132)
Why anyone would even consider moving from SURREY to ... Modesto... :ohmy:

Maybe they belong there with about half of California's population who are delusional. I spent too long there myself and it made me a bit of a crackpot.

Rete Mar 23rd 2007 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford (Post 4552052)
Are you talking about the three year part to the Green Card? All that means is that if you have been married less than 3 years your hubby will get a temporary green card with conditions of residence ( e.g. you must remain married) on it and a short expiry date ( two or so years after entry into the US). Once you have stayed in the US for two years you can file to get the restrictions removed and he will be issued a full 10 year green card.

This is what we had to do and it wasn't any problem to us moving here or getting credit.

It's 2 years not 3 years. In fact your entire post is incorrect.

cabritpop Mar 23rd 2007 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Deedee13 (Post 4552140)
u need a house to EAT BATTENBURG THO dont u.

And I thought I was cuckoo. :lol:

cabritpop Mar 23rd 2007 4:24 pm

Hello everyone!

Sorry if I am reading this wrong but, why not buy the property (pipe dream in a few years:lol: )in your name?

Bob Mar 23rd 2007 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by neil (Post 4551859)
I'm pretty sure anyone can buy a house in the US. No idea where the 3 years comes into anything related to buying a house or even being able to come to the US.

3 years probably related to citizenship from the greencard...

Bob Mar 23rd 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford (Post 4552052)

it's married for less than 2 years that you get conditional greencard.

englishinusa Mar 23rd 2007 10:23 pm

How could a british citizen go about buying a house in the us?

If you have the cash, transfer it to a dollar account and then buy the house.

If you need a loan, you will need a good credit history and a job in the US.