Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American culinary terms

American culinary terms

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:40 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American culinary terms

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
If it doesn't state, I'd either A) Stay away from the recipe or B) Just use the spoon and level method which can work if you know what you're doing and can judge the dough/batter to be of the right hydration or consistency.

Most of these recipes will most likely contain leavening agents anyway so even half an ounce either way isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the inexperienced eye.
You're just being ridiculous.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:41 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You're just being ridiculous.
No I'm not I'm eating a carrot.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:47 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Last month I made mini pumkpin pies and forgot to put the sugar in (I'd thought it was sweetened condensed milk but it wasn't). I ended up using a sugar garnish, which worked just as well if a trifle crunchy.

Professional chef I ain't

Though I also learned I only need about a third of the sugar called for in the recipe for it to taste just as good!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Will do

The only real problem is her palette is very limited and I get bored of cooking the same things. Once I have my own kitchen set up I'm going to start trying her on new foods. Right now, relying on whatever kitchen space I can scavenge from my father in law doesn't lend itself to extensive culinary endeavor.
Yeah yeah yeah, just make her some sausage rolls and she's yours forever.

No trying to 'expand her palette' with organ meats or any of that other weird stuff (to be fair, I tried a bite of steak & kidney pie last night, that's right people, we had gorgeous pies last night.. beef & stout for me, TYVM).
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

If it doesn't state, I'd either A) Stay away from the recipe or B) Just use the spoon and level method which can work if you know what you're doing and can judge the dough/batter to be of the right hydration or consistency.

Most of these recipes will most likely contain leavening agents anyway so even half an ounce either way isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the inexperienced eye.
Good grief I bet you have to start making tomorrows tea yesterday with all this precision weights and measures and recipe following!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:51 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by traceym
Good grief I bet you have to start making tomorrows tea yesterday with all this precision weights and measures and recipe following!
It only really applies to baking. I make pasta by sight and feel.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I love this place
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:09 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I love this place
Do you have food measuring equipment on the list?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

No I'm not I'm eating a carrot.
I hope you weighed it before you ate it otherwise Jesus will kill a kitten or some other horrific happening.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 5:58 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yeah yeah yeah, just make her some sausage rolls and she's yours forever.

No trying to 'expand her palette' with organ meats or any of that other weird stuff (to be fair, I tried a bite of steak & kidney pie last night, that's right people, we had gorgeous pies last night.. beef & stout for me, TYVM).
Some vegetables would be nice
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
It sounds like the entire category of food measuring kit needs to be added!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
Some vegetables would be nice
No sprouts!
I was going to post that the first time but figured it should be obvious.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:15 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
oh yes the LIST - don't forget to add this on there
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
That's all good in most entrees/meals but not so much when baking pastries and desserts.

True, however, many desserts and and pastries are a feel right cooking experience. When you are making the dough for a crust or a sauce, a proficient cook will also go by feel, i.e. how thin/thick the sauce is, the texture of the dough when mixing or kneading. I've found that I will use the measurements given for a new recipe the first time making it but will inevitably change it on the second making to suit my taste buds.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 7:44 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Rete
True, however, many desserts and and pastries are a feel right cooking experience. When you are making the dough for a crust or a sauce, a proficient cook will also go by feel, i.e. how thin/thick the sauce is, the texture of the dough when mixing or kneading. I've found that I will use the measurements given for a new recipe the first time making it but will inevitably change it on the second making to suit my taste buds.
I agree. It really has to do with the recipe being new to you or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.