Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American culinary terms

American culinary terms

Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American culinary terms

Originally Posted by avanutria
When we first arrived I had to explain to my DH that when the recipe asked for "one teaspoon" of whatever he had to use an actual measuring device labelled "1 tsp" and not the spoon he used for his tea.
Not necessarily a bad hing if the recipe demands accuracy. There was some survey in the UK recently which found that the average teaspoon size varied enormously! So DD or DS getting a 5ml teaspoon of medicine might have actually been getting bearly double that in some cases .

Dare I ask the volume or mass of a DD cup?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:32 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leslie66
My whole point is to simply follow the recipe ... however it may be written.

If you follow a recipe however it may be written and you're unaware that a level cup of flour can differ in weight depending on various factors, some out of your own control, then you're screwed.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
If you follow a recipe however it may be written and you're unaware that a level cup of flour can differ in weight depending on various factors, some out of your own control, then you're screwed.
If you need to be that precise measuring anything I should give up and buy it from the store!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:46 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by traceym
If you need to be that precise measuring anything I should give up and buy it from the store!

Or just use ounces and grams.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Well then the recipe wasn't clearly written was it?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 3:58 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Well then the recipe wasn't clearly written was it?
You do try to be difficult don't you.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malashaan
The only problem I have with cooking is that I'm far better at it than my wife so I end up doing it all lol.
And what's the problem?

Another smart American girl married her own private chef.. say hi to her from me!
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What complication is this?! If it calls for a cup of flour, I shove the measuring cup in there and get a level cup.. the weight doesn't matter.

And no using all them fancy flour types. Flour. It's what's for bread.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
What complication is this?! If it calls for a cup of flour, I shove the measuring cup in there and get a level cup.. the weight doesn't matter.

Precisely -- and any recipe worth its salt (sorry, couldn't resist!) will say if the flour needs to be sifted before it is measured.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

British people weigh their flour? And I thought the obsession with pot noodle was weird
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S
British people weigh their flour? And I thought the obsession with pot noodle was weird
Three pages worth, <nods>.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:30 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Of course the weight matters.

You can get close, by leveling a cup, if you use the same flour all the time but it really isn't a satisfactory method if you need to be precise, which serious baking calls for, I use grams and ounces, it saves adding 'a little more this or that' which is time consuming.

To get good consistent results you can't use cups for measuring dry ingredients. I don't care what anyone says.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:32 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the weight matters.

You can get close, by leveling a cup, if you use the same flour all the time but it really isn't a satisfactory method if you need to be precise, which serious baking calls for, I use grams and ounces, it saves adding 'a little more this or that' which is time consuming.

To get good consistent results you can't use cups for measuring dry ingredients. I don't care what anyone says.
That's all fine and good but what if the recipe doesn't give the weight?
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:33 pm
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light

And what's the problem?

Another smart American girl married her own private chef.. say hi to her from me!
Will do

The only real problem is her palette is very limited and I get bored of cooking the same things. Once I have my own kitchen set up I'm going to start trying her on new foods. Right now, relying on whatever kitchen space I can scavenge from my father in law doesn't lend itself to extensive culinary endeavor.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 4:39 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

That's all fine and good but what if the recipe doesn't give the weight?
If it doesn't state, I'd either A) Stay away from the recipe or B) Just use the spoon and level method which can work if you know what you're doing and can judge the dough/batter to be of the right hydration or consistency.

Most of these recipes will most likely contain leavening agents anyway so even half an ounce either way isn't going to make a noticeable difference to the inexperienced eye.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.