Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Citizenship

American Citizenship

Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Citizenship

Originally Posted by Aurelia
After all, the US must maintain quality standards!
How come I'm here then?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It's kind of sad that the biggest advantage to becoming a citizen is that it makes much easier to leave.
It might be the most significant practical advantage, but I would suggest that the benefit of no longer being a foreigner in one's adopted home is greater.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
It might be the most significant practical advantage, but I would suggest that the benefit of no longer being a foreigner in one's adopted home is greater.
Although the truth is we'll always be a different breed with or without citizenship..
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Although the truth is we'll always be a different breed with or without citizenship..
That's the experience of immigrants anywhere (it's no different in Australia) although children who spend formative years in the country should be fully integrated.

The same issue can affect Americans who spend a significant part of life in another country, and then return (or go) to the United States.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's the experience of immigrants anywhere (it's no different in Australia) although children who spend formative years in the country should be fully integrated.

The same issue can affect Americans who spend a significant part of life in another country, and then return (or go) to the United States.
Yeah of course, totally agree. I personally just feel really foreign over here. There are only two foreigners in my office, myself and someone from Sweden and we have about 100 people altogether! I don't think having citizenship would make me feel more american; I really do stand out like a sore thumb there, LOL!! Having said that I've only lived in the states just over two years; so that might change..
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:06 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesNYC
how has [US citizenship] made your lives easier?
Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's meant that I can start sentences with "We Americans" to really piss folks off.
On the flip side, I've found it to be a great way of keeping my now-dual US/UK citizen husband off his occasional British high horse:

Mark: Americans are so retarded when it comes to [fill in the blank]. People just aren't like that in the UK!
Me: Sweetie, you really shouldn't talk about yourself like that.

Hee.

~ Jenney
Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:15 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
"ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"
Sadly, the prevailing attitude today makes it difficult for me to believe anybody ever really thought that. Kind of like recalling an incredible dream.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:13 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
No matter how many fancy passports I collect, I'll always be British. Getting citizenship gets the BCIS off your back, makes it harder to get deported, makes buying guns easier and you get the best of both worlds when you travel from the US to the UK. Thats about it. I refused on principle for a long time but finally caved in this year.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chorlton
No matter how many fancy passports I collect, I'll always be British. Getting citizenship gets the BCIS off your back, makes it harder to get deported, makes buying guns easier and you get the best of both worlds when you travel from the US to the UK. Thats about it. I refused on principle for a long time but finally caved in this year.
Yep my thought exactly.. It's definitely gives a lot more freedom. I plan to apply next year so that should we ever decide to go back and live in the UK I won't have to start all over again should we decide to come back to the US again one day in the future. Don't want to close any doors at this point.. who knows whether we will want to come back or not; and let's face it starting the process again is a pain.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Hello all:
This is my first post on the forum so I brought some Boddingtons and Cadbury's Dairy Milk to share. I think I have some Guinness in the fridge too.

I've been in the States since 1993 but only became a citizen 3 years ago. My primary motivation for doing that, and the only tangible benefit I've seen since then is that last November, I was able to vote for the first time. For me, that was kind of a big deal.

Unfortunately, I still have to listen to people saying "Bet you're glad we saved your ass in World War Two, huh?"
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Obtaining your US citizenship is a no brainer unless you believe that they somehow brain wash you at the swearing in.

You will have the services of two embassies when you travel and can get jobs that require citizenship.

Now what are you willing to do?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

paul2724 is an unknown quantity at this point

You do get to VOTE!
Old Jun 11th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stockton
Hello all:

Unfortunately, I still have to listen to people saying "Bet you're glad we saved your ass in World War Two, huh?"
If any American said that to me I would say "Thankyou but I wished you had joined us in 1939 and maybe my brother wouldn't have died in Naples in January 1944"
Old Jun 12th 2009, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith
You will have the services of two embassies when you travel and can get jobs that require citizenship.
Aye, was at a tech job fair today, all but 3 stands had signs saying US Citizens and/or Security Clearance only....so that was a waste of time
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Stockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to allStockton is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Keith
If any American said that to me I would say "Thankyou but I wished you had joined us in 1939 and maybe my brother wouldn't have died in Naples in January 1944"
Yes, my usual reply is something along the lines of "Pity it took you so long" or "Really? You don't look old enough."

In my experience, too many people really think WWII started in 1944. And that WWI was only 2 years long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.