Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Citizenship

American Citizenship

Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Question American Citizenship

Just a question about American Citizenship. I have been in the US for 20 years and am a permanent resident. Are there any pluses to me getting American Citizenship before I move back to the UK next year.(I'm a British Citizen). I am divorced, no kids, so have no family of my own as such in America. All of my family lives in the UK. Just wondered, as I have never wanted to get US Citizenship, but JAJ (I think) often advises this when people are moving back to the UK. Any thoughts? I do have close friends, and people that are like family here (godson etc), but no blood relatives. Is it easier to visit when one has moved back to the UK if I have American Citizenship? Just me pondering this before I make my move back home. Anyone that has any thoughts on this please feel free to comment, thanks.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Citizenship

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Just a question about American Citizenship. I have been in the US for 20 years and am a permanent resident. Are there any pluses to me getting American Citizenship before I move back to the UK next year.(I'm a British Citizen). I am divorced, no kids, so have no family of my own as such in America. All of my family lives in the UK. Just wondered, as I have never wanted to get US Citizenship, but JAJ (I think) often advises this when people are moving back to the UK. Any thoughts? I do have close friends, and people that are like family here (godson etc), but no blood relatives. Is it easier to visit when one has moved back to the UK if I have American Citizenship? Just me pondering this before I make my move back home. Anyone that has any thoughts on this please feel free to comment, thanks.
One advantage is if you can't settle in the UK and want to return to the US you can do so easily. You may not think this applies to you but several people who post on here have returned to the UK without becoming USCs and regretted it.

It seems in many states the USC process is taking approx. 6mths from start to finish.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 1st 2007 at 1:25 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl. So, just say I didn't get my US citizenship and I was happy living in the UK. Would it still be easy to travel to the US seeing I would eventually have given up my permanent residency? Would I just need to get a visa to visit the country just like anyone else visiting?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl. So, just say I didn't get my US citizenship and I was happy living in the UK. Would it still be easy to travel to the US seeing I would eventually have given up my permanent residency? Would I just need to get a visa to visit the country just like anyone else visiting?
You would be able to travel using the VWP just like anyone else...max 90 days.

FWIW I would get US citizenship...you're gonna have to file US tax returns for years anyway...so why not keep all your options open?

JAJ will be able to advise you better than I. If he doesn't show up in the next 24 hrs drop him a PM. I don't know whether you're familiar with Dunroving's posts...if not use the search option at the top of the page to search for his posts in MBTTUK forum. It may give you something to think about...he returned to the UK last year from the US. Give me a shout if you want any help locating his posts or PM him...I'm sure he will be more than willing to help you out.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 1st 2007 at 2:21 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Jerseygirl.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks Jerseygirl.
Don't know whether you've noticed but I've added on to my post.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl. So, just say I didn't get my US citizenship and I was happy living in the UK.
Perhaps also consider the possibility that you might at some point decide you would prefer to live in the U.S. again. If you abandon your green card, then have a think about how easy it would be to get it back. (chances are you would have no chance at all, unless you have an American spouse).

Would it still be easy to travel to the US seeing I would eventually have given up my permanent residency? Would I just need to get a visa to visit the country just like anyone else visiting?
If you established a home in the U.K. you could visit the U.S. as a nonimmigrant and British citizens are eligible for the visa waiver scheme for visits less than 90 days. But don't forget that visa rules can change in the future, just like a change in your own circumstances could make you ineligible to even visit the U.S. as a tourist.

Abandoning your green card is a serious step. Think hard before doing it.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by JAJ
Perhaps also consider the possibility that you might at some point decide you would prefer to live in the U.S. again. If you abandon your green card, then have a think about how easy it would be to get it back. (chances are you would have no chance at all, unless you have an American spouse).

If you established a home in the U.K. you could visit the U.S. as a nonimmigrant and British citizens are eligible for the visa waiver scheme for visits less than 90 days. But don't forget that visa rules can change in the future, just like a change in your own circumstances could make you ineligible to even visit the U.S. as a tourist.

Abandoning your green card is a serious step. Think hard before doing it.
Ah there you are...you must have radar.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Some ideas in BE's very own wiki:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pro%27...US_Citizenship
Old Nov 1st 2007, 3:01 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One advantage is if you can't settle in the UK and want to return to the US you can do so easily. You may not think this applies to you but several people who post on here have returned to the UK without becoming USCs and regretted it.

It seems in many states the USC process is taking approx. 6mths from start to finish.
FWIW, I went ahead and got my USC even though I'm hoping to return to the UK in the (relatively near?) future. Like JG says, it'll make coming back to the US a whole lot easier if it doesn't work out in the UK--or even if I want to come back for a vacation. And it took about 6 months for me to get mine in Texas.

Sarah
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you so much everyone for your helpful advice. I am familiar with Dunrovings postings, and read what he has to say with a lot of interest. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my post. I have a lot to think about now
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I think having citizenship helps when getting your social security(retirement) payments overseas. Does anyone know if this is true? It may be to your financial benefit to get citizenship. After all, you paid into the system for many years.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 2:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I think having citizenship helps when getting your social security(retirement) payments overseas. Does anyone know if this is true? It may be to your financial benefit to get citizenship. After all, you paid into the system for many years.
If you are a U.S. citizen your right to Social Security payments when overseas is pretty much unconditional.

If not a U.S. citizen then there are conditions:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html

Bear in mind that Social Security payments to non-U.S. citizens could be an easy target for any future cutbacks.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Do it!

I mean after 20 years in the US when you get back home you will realise the US was home too and giving up your right to live somewhere you call home may come back to haunt you.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Just out of interest, what's the reason you never took out citizenship, especially considering you've lived there for so long?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.